ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone explain the point of including pronouns in your work email signature?

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
If I'm sending you an email, I'm not going to call you he/she. I'm either going to address you by your name or say you. Emailing someone and calling them him/he/she/her doesn't make grammatical sense and would confuse anyone reading the email. So what's the point of putting pronouns in your sig?

i refuse to use sex identification like mr. and mrs. as well.
some women even get offended if you use the wrong label mrs. or ms.

It's a virtue signal. Also, you will notice that almost all signatures have he/him or she/her (I don't think I have seen anything else at my company of 10k+). Thanks for telling me what I already knew John and Laura!
So nothing more than a way to announce to your co-workers that you're a left wing nut job?

I have to laugh thinking about what people will be saying in 20-30 years about these times when people are choosing pronouns.

i refuse to use sex identification like mr. and mrs. as well.
some women even get offended if you use the wrong label mrs. or ms.
That's the advantage of not caring if you offend people or not. Don't do it on purpose, but if I do, yeah, don't care.

I always look at it as I am at work to get a job done and there are times where the shit hits the fan and we don't have time to worry about your feelings. I've been running about 12 hour days plus time on the weekend for about 6 months now because of an issue.

If I'm sending you an email, I'm not going to call you he/she. I'm either going to address you by your name or say you. Emailing someone and calling them him/he/she/her doesn't make grammatical sense and would confuse anyone reading the email. So what's the point of putting pronouns in your sig?
Maybe we should use IT.

As a hiring manager......if this comes up during an interview or on a resume......

Comes up during an interview, they are difficult to work with and best to just move on to the next person.

On a resume, if I notice, I roll my eyes and then ignore it like I do when I see it on stuff now.
Agreed. Whether I see something about it on their resume or it comes up during the interview process, it basically takes them out of consideration for the job.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
How about someone who wants to be called they/them?

Reactions: Boilermaker03
How about someone who wants to be called they/them?
Imagine writing an email to someone addressing them as they? "Good morning they! Hope all is well with they today? I'm scheduling a meeting for our team today at 1:00pm. Are they available? Please let me know at their earliest convenience.?

Again, 25 years from now, people are going to look back at this time and say, "what the actual fuch" when people were picking genders based on how they feel, picking their favorite pronouns of the week, and biological males were competing against and dominating biological females in various athletic events.

Last edited:
Imagine writing an email to someone addressing them as they? "Good morning they! Hope all is well with they today? I'm scheduling a meeting for our team today at 1:00pm. Are they available? Please let me know at their earliest convenience.?

Again, 25 years from now, people are going to look back at this time and "say what the actual fuch" when people were picking genders based on how they feel, picking their favorite pronouns of the week, and biological males were competing against and dominating biological females in various athletic events.
You wouldn't. They/them is a 3rd person pronoun used when referring to someone. You wouldn't have done it before and you don't do it now. Is it really that hard?

Again, 25 years from now, people are going to look back at this time and "say what the actual fuch" when people were picking genders based on how they feel, picking their favorite pronouns of the week, and biological males were competing against and dominating biological females in various athletic events.
I’m envisioning a 21st century spin on the old Abbot and Costello Who’s on First routine

To play devil’s advocate you should remember that it’s not necessarily the person sometimes but the organization that “encourages” because I know a few people that if you asked them privately would not have done it. And no I am not gonna pretend that they should make a stand get in the wrong side of people.

What if someone wants to go by their middle name, or a shortened version of their first name?
Thats fine. I'll call someone JB, or Jr or whatever. But if someone is going to ask me to use some silly pronoun, one that neither makes actual or grammtical sense, then no. I don't have time to deal with that type of silliness in my organization. I'm not going to deal with some HR headache because someone micro-aggressed them or they felt threatened because someone used the wrong pronoun.
Take that shit to someone who cares, My team has a quota to meet.

Thats fine. I'll call someone JB, or Jr or whatever. But if someone is going to ask me to use some silly pronoun, one that neither makes actual or grammtical sense, then no. I don't have time to deal with that type of silliness in my organization. I'm not going to deal with some HR headache because someone micro-aggressed them or they felt threatened because someone used the wrong pronoun.
Take that shit to someone who cares, My team has a quota to meet.
What a silly waste of time.

You wouldn't. They/them is a 3rd person pronoun used when referring to someone. You wouldn't have done it before and you don't do it now. Is it really that hard?
Exactly. Which is precisely why I asked why people are putting pronouns in their email signature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker03
I'm as confused as anyone about it, but if you think about it you'll typically address them as you or by their proper name. That part hasn't been a huge issue.

Definitely gets more confusing when they've changed their name to something more non-binary and they get offended when you don't address them by their legal name, or for some reason fail to ask how they'd like to be addressed. Misgindered is another term I've heard a lot with non-bianary and some trans/bi folks.

IMHO, if you 'flip' some internal 'coin' every day to determine what gender you feel like you are, don't get upset when the majority of us fail to accommodate that. I'm not going to start every conversaion with 'how should I address you today?' ... and honestly, you shouldn't expect it.

I'm as confused as anyone about it, but if you think about it you'll typically address them as you or by their proper name. That part hasn't been a huge issue.

Definitely gets more confusing when they've changed their name to something more non-binary and they get offended when you don't address them by their legal name, or for some reason fail to ask how they'd like to be addressed. Misgindered is another term I've heard a lot with non-bianary and some trans/bi folks.

IMHO, if you 'flip' some internal 'coin' every day to determine what gender you feel like you are, don't get upset when the majority of us fail to accommodate that. I'm not going to start every conversaion with 'how should I address you today?' ... and honestly, you shouldn't expect it.
If someone is worried about their pronouns, then go work for a company that cares about that stuff (Starbucks? The govt, etc).

To be honest, I don't have the time to worry or care about your feelings. Maybe that's old school, but as your boss, I'm not here to make you feel good about yourself. I'm here to help you make money and grow your career.

Virtue signaling. Nobody ever talks about the fact that if someone wants to be referred to as they/them, it will literally be impossible to distinguish if someone is talking about an individual or a group of people. Language has no meaning anymore...

What if someone wants to go by their middle name, or a shortened version of their first name?
That is nowhere even in the ballpark of the insanity of changing your pronoun... Mostly because they would be using their actual name, just a variant of it. Not some made up bullshit to make you feel better. Language matters and the loony left is doing their best to destroy it.

Jordan Peterson had a good rant on this in a video that I can't find. I found a shortened version but they cut out the part I wanted to show. He does make a good point though about speech and authoritarianism. The lefties here should learn something from this.

Appologies for the crappy video edits. I couldn't find the ones I wanted.

Here is a different video where he talks about pronouns and respect. Spot on IMO.

Last edited:
That is nowhere even in the ballpark of the insanity of changing your pronoun... Mostly because they would be using their actual name, just a variant of it. Not some made up bullshit to make you feel better. Language matters and the loony left is doing their best to destroy it.
My daughter in law has three of these, them, they or whatever in Crown Point junior high. I can’t imagine how to call on them, these, they in class. What a world!

My daughter in law has three of these, them, they or whatever in Crown Point junior high. I can’t imagine how to call on them, these, they in class. What a world!
My wife had a 3rd grader this year that was a biological girl but her parents demanded she be called by her boy name and referred to as he. She's 8. The parents had pulled her out of her previous school when the school refused their demands. To confuse the situation even more, the student does dress like a girl on some days. That's just ridiculously poor parenting.

Last edited:
My wife had a 3rd grader this year that was a biological girl but her parents demanded she be called by her boy name and referred to as he. She's 8. The parents had pulled her out of her previous school when the school refused their demands. To confuse the situation even more, the student does dress like a girl on some days. That's just ridiculously poor parenting.
That's so sad! Poor kid.

Never heard of anyone asked to be called "whatever". My teachers usually called me by my name so I really don't see why it causes her a problem. If your daughter in law is smart enough to teach children, she should be smart enough to to figure out what to call them.

But then again it is Crown Point, so whatever, ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG
Never heard of anyone asked to be called "whatever". My teachers usually called me by my name so I really don't see why it causes her a problem. If your daughter in law is smart enough to teach children, she should be smart enough to to figure out what to call them.

But then again it is Crown Point, so whatever, ;)
The kids are to be called by they, them per their request and the school employees are required to do so. I’m sure if teachers fail to address the students in that manner they would be disrespectful of the student and complaints would be made.

It is more like Clown Point. 🤡

Last edited:
The kids are to be called by they, them per their request and the school employees are required to do so. I’m sure if teachers fail to address the students in that manner they would be disrespectful of the student and complaints would be made.
You don't call someone he, she, they or them in class or when you you are speaking with them.

It's pretty simple really.

When you “address” someone, you use their name or "you". Nothing has changed and there is nothing complicated here. How are you today? Did you get your homework done? Why were you late for class?

The only difference is when you are talking about someone (see "them" above). Historically, the standard practice in English has been to assign a gender to them ( “her” or “him”). Recently “they/them” has been adopted for those who don’t want to be thought of as “her” or “him”. Think about it like this. Someone is knocking at the door. You may say to someone else "Can you answer the door and let them in?" Traditionally we would have used "them" here because we don't know the gender of the person knocking. It's kind of the same idea.

If your daughter in law is still uncomfortable using they or them, she can still call them by their name.

I hope this helps some of you old timers.

Reactions: MANelson85
You don't call someone he, she, they or them in class or when you you are speaking with them.

When you “address” someone, you use their name or "you". Nothing has changed and there is nothing complicated here. How are you today? Did you get your homework done? Why were you late for class?

The only difference is when you are talking about someone (see "them" above). Historically, the standard practice in English has been to assign a gender to them ( “her” or “him”). Recently “they/them” has been adopted for those who don’t want to be thought of as “her” or “him”. Think about it like this. Someone is knocking at the door. You may say to someone else "Can you answer the door and let them in?" Traditionally we would have used "them" here because we don't know the gender of the person knocking. It's kind of the same idea.

If your daughter in law is still uncomfortable using they or them, she can still call them by their name.

So what you are saying is it isn't something you would use to their face usually, so who gives a rip what they want addressed as.

Just do what I do and refer to them as dumb a$$ and call it a day. That's gender neutral too.

So what you are saying is it isn't something you would use to their face usually, so who gives a rip what they want addressed as.

Just do what I do and refer to them as dumb a$$ and call it a day. That's gender neutral too.
The question is if you don't "give a rip" and its not something you would use to their face, why does it bother you so much?

And here come the personal insults from the left. LOL! My two college age kids think its ridiculous btw. I've said this before but again, 30 years from now people are going to laugh and wonder what the fuch was going on when looking back on this time when people were wanting to pick their pronouns. Do you refer to Rachel Dolezal as black? You're an old timer and a hypocrite if not.

Last edited:

Actually a teacher/student could very easily refer to a student as a pronoun. If the student answers a question, the teacher could say to the rest of the class, "Class, is she correct?" Or a student could respond with, "I don't agree with her."

Answer me this - if you're ok with people picking pronouns, you obviously believe that people should be able to pick their adjectives too right? If this is all about not hurting people's feelings, then we certainly have to call them by the adjectives they wish to be called right? Or are you an old timer when it comes to adjectives?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT