ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Holy smokes she's good. Fun to watch. Favorite lady hooper
But go Purdue

(Can she come play for the Purdue men's team?)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JeffBoiler
Having an already laboring Layden try to man her up is a ridiculously dumb move by KG. She might score 40.
She cannot put Hardin on her, she'll score 60. Even slightly hobbled Layden is our best perimeter defender besides Terry who has to guard their PG.

I disagree, Smith is our most athletic and best perimeter defender. If Petree would focus more on defenses than jacking up poor shots she’d be 2nd.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I disagree, Smith is our most athletic and best perimeter defender.
I agree Smith is our most athletic perimeter player, but she is still not a great defender as she plays too much defense with her hands and not her feet. But putting her on Clark couldn't do any worse, so why not?

Holy smokes she's good. Fun to watch. Favorite lady hooper
But go Purdue

(Can she come play for the Purdue men's team?)
“Favorite lady hooper”??? Really? Yes, she can really play basketball but her personality sucks. Whiney and petulant. At one point the refs told her to knock off the yammering last night.

Reactions: Russ Ford
“Favorite lady hooper”??? Really? Yes, she can really play basketball but her personality sucks. Whiney and petulant. At one point the refs told her to knock off the yammering last night.

She’s fun to watch, reminds me of the womens version of Curry. However, I agree, she needs to cut the crap with the whining, she might be a great person but enough is enough with the constant complaining.

Reactions: DocRon
I think she was launching out further than Carsen used to do!!

For those of you who have just discovered CLark, she has complained anything and everything since she started at Iowa. She deserves a good wake up call from someone. BUT, she is a great womans BB player. Wish we had one

She cannot put Hardin on her, she'll score 60. Even slightly hobbled Layden is our best perimeter defender besides Terry who has to guard their PG.
Any reason why Layden missed two games? Not surprised she was tired as she’s been struggling for quite a while now. Noticed when on the bench and during timeouts, she didn’t interact with her teammates much at all. Seemed disengaged.

Any reason why Layden missed two games? Not surprised she was tired as she’s been struggling for quite a while now. Noticed when on the bench and during timeouts, she didn’t interact with her teammates much at all. Seemed disengaged.
Much conjecture about why, but as far as I know, nothing factual.

Much conjecture about why, but as far as I know, nothing factual.
Coaches will typically acknowledge a physical injury or ailment. The fact that KG has not done that, but has allowed her to take time off when she wants (just like when she didn’t practice half the summer) lends one to believe it isn’t physical. She doesn’t seem to enjoy the game or her teammates.

Coaches will typically acknowledge a physical injury or ailment. The fact that KG has not done that, but has allowed her to take time off when she wants (just like when she didn’t practice half the summer) lends one to believe it isn’t physical. She doesn’t seem to enjoy she the game or her teammates.
Or the injury she played on for weeks last year before it got so bad she couldn't play never healed and it's recurring and robbing her of joy and effectiveness still this season

Or the injury she played on for weeks last year before it got so bad she couldn't play never healed and it's recurring and robbing her of joy and effectiveness still this
Or the injury she played on for weeks last year before it got so bad she couldn't play never healed and it's recurring and robbing her of joy and effectiveness still this season
Exactly my point though, her physical injury was obvious.The ambiguity surrounding her reoccurring absences only lends people to speculate and creates obvious team chemistry issues. The fact they aren’t saying anything makes people believe it isn’t physical. Distractions aren’t needed. Even injured players travel with their team. Heard she’s had some off the court issues that I’m sure are accumulating. Respect your opinion, I just find her timing to “need a break” to be rather interesting and self-serving.

Exactly my point though, her physical injury was obvious.The ambiguity surrounding her reoccurring absences only lends people to speculate and creates obvious team chemistry issues. The fact they aren’t saying anything makes people believe it isn’t physical. Distractions aren’t needed. Even injured players travel with their team. Heard she’s had some off the court issues that I’m sure are accumulating. Respect your opinion, I just find her timing to “need a break” to be rather interesting and self-serving.
If I had to guess one way or the other, I'd go with it's not something physical, but I neither would be surprised if it is last year's injury causing the issues again. The info we got last year about Kyle's injury was just about as sparce as what we are getting about Layden's absence.

Obviously Coach Gearlds and the team don't think it's anyone business what Madison is dealing with. I'm just glad to see her back playing and contributing.

Obviously Coach Gearlds and the team don't think it's anyone business what Madison is dealing with. I'm just glad to see her back playing and contributing.
Not sure I fully agree. By not giving any specific reason, it leads to all kinds of speculation.

But yes, I am glad she is back and maybe coming off the bench is better for her. While not scoring any points today (on only 4 attempts) I thought she did well defensively and as a steadying influence.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Not sure I fully agree. By not giving any specific reason, it leads to all kinds of speculation.

But yes, I am glad she is back and maybe coming off the bench is better for her. While not scoring any points today (on only 4 attempts) I thought she did well defensively and as a steadying influence.
And I watched the Wisconsin game again this AM paying attention to Madison. I am happy for her as she smiled a lot and displayed camaraderie with her teammates. She has a lot of minutes left to play (we hope for us) and she should be having fun doing it.

And I watched the Wisconsin game again this AM paying attention to Madison. I am happy for her as she smiled a lot and displayed camaraderie with her teammates. She has a lot of minutes left to play (we hope for us) and she should be having fun doing it.
I'm positive Madison isn't going anywhere. I'm betting she'll be here two more years. Her Senior and Covid years. I just wish she could get back to shooting like in high school and her Freshman season at Purdue. For some reason, when she misses, it always seems to be short, on line, but short. Maybe she is not getting her legs into the shot? Maybe it is something physical? I know for a fact that she is an above average shooter. When she was at Northwestern here in Howard County. I was almost shocked when she missed....she was that good.

Last edited:
Madison is a gamer. Although it seems that something, unknown to us knuckleheads, either physical or mental is bugging her, you've gotta believe she will shake it off. In the meantime, let's all send her good wishes and help her out with the power of positive thinking. You go girl!

I'm positive Madison isn't going anywhere. I'm betting she'll be here two more years. Her Senior and Covid years. I just wish she could get back to shooting like in high school and her Freshman season at Purdue. For some reason, when she misses, it always seems to be short, on line, but short. Maybe she is not getting her legs into the shot? Maybe it is something physical? I know for a fact that she is an above average shooter. When she was at Nortwestern here in Howard County. I was almost shocked when she missed....she was that good.
Continually coming up short is fatigue or leg injury indicative..... The fatigue can be mental as well as physical.

Many WBB coaches have chosen the path of not disclosing much injury information to the media. KG was extremely vague about Kyle's injury last year. Moren at IU is opting to go the same route with Berger's leg injury that happened earlier this year. I think she's out for the year - but she has only made extremely vague responses about "possibly" having her back.

Many WBB coaches have chosen the path of not disclosing much injury information to the media. KG was extremely vague about Kyle's injury last year. Moren at IU is opting to go the same route with Berger's leg injury that happened earlier this year. I think she's out for the year - but she has only made extremely vague responses about "possibly" having her back.
Madison is a gamer. Although it seems that something, unknown to us knuckleheads, either physical or mental is bugging her, you've gotta believe she will shake it off. In the meantime, let's all send her good wishes and help her out with the power of positive thinking. You go girl!
Respect your opinion. My take is she’s burned out. It’s really not hard to see. Transfers and improved returners have taken the limelight and her stat line and she’s not really interested in earning back her position. No amount of good vibes or positive energy helps that. That’s her responsibility to fix. I believe she owes that to herself and to her team.

Respect your opinion. My take is she’s burned out. It’s really not hard to see. Transfers and improved returners have taken the limelight and her stat line and she’s not really interested in earning back her position. No amount of good vibes or positive energy helps that. That’s her responsibility to fix. I believe she owes that to herself and to her team.
If its burnout, I would strongly suspect being forced to play point for much of each game is a big contributing factor, but I believe she is still suffering effects from her leg injury last year that she played on limping for nearly a month.

If its burnout, I would strongly suspect being forced to play point for much of each game is a big contributing factor, but I believe she is still suffering effects from her leg injury last year that she played on limping for nearly a month.
“Forced” to play point? Curious why you’d say she was “forced?” This is college athletics, in the best conference, at the highest level. You play where the coach puts you. Period. Maybe actually that is part of her struggle, now that you mention it…. Maybe she isn’t getting what she wants? Players however, don’t call the shots at this level. Coaches do.

“Forced” to play point? Curious why you’d say she was “forced?” This is college athletics, in the best conference, at the highest level. You play where the coach puts you. Period. Maybe actually that is part of her struggle, now that you mention it…. Maybe she isn’t getting what she wants? Players however, don’t call the shots at this level. Coaches do.
I tend to think its more that she has been put into a position she doesn't have experience or much natural ability in and she is suffering from paralysis by analysis having to think the game rather than just play and react. I've never understood the idea from the first of the season to have her playing point 10-20 minutes a game to "free up" Terry to play on the wing where she is also less effective.

I tend to think its more that she has been put into a position she doesn't have experience or much natural ability in and she is suffering from paralysis by analysis having to think the game rather than just play and react. I've never understood the idea from the first of the season to have her playing point 10-20 minutes a game to "free up" Terry to play on the wing where she is also less effective.
She played PG in high school though didn’t she? Definitely has the experience, length, court vision and handles to play PG. It appears she doesn’t want to because she doesn’t handle the pressure well at all. With her height she could be good at the power forward position but now is much slower and just isn’t strong enough to guard opponents in the post.

ADVERTISEMENT