By the #'s with Iowa

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
FBS Rankings
Column 1Rushing DefensePassing DefenseTotal DefenseScoringPts. Allowed
Purdue1787444363
Iowa141161288

Looking at the #'s to this point of the season, I'd expect a close game and if Iowa can get pressure on Aidan O'Connell, it could be tough to win. Iowa's O is the only piece that statistically will keep us in the game. I do expect them to go deep on our secondary more than usual as Purdue's secondary has had no answer all season long. Couple that with poor tackling from LB's & secondary as witnessed in WI game and it could be a race to the finish. Brohm has had success with Iowa, but I'm thinking it is a toss up. I see we are favored with a 4 pt line, but I'm not as confident this season to this point.

FBS Rankings
Purdue1787444363
Iowa141161288

Looking at the #'s to this point of the season, I'd expect a close game and if Iowa can get pressure on Aidan O'Connell, it could be tough to win. Iowa's O is the only piece that statistically will keep us in the game. I do expect them to go deep on our secondary more than usual as Purdue's secondary has had no answer all season long. Couple that with poor tackling from LB's & secondary as witnessed in WI game and it could be a race to the finish. Brohm has had success with Iowa, but I'm thinking it is a toss up. I see we are favored with a 4 pt line, but I'm not as confident this season to this point.
Petras is 0-2 against Purdue with no TD passes and 4 INTs. Not an accurate passer at all. If he wants to go deep I say bring it. Pretty tough to guard their TE as usual and they have another good one in Sam Laporta. But they don’t have a WR with more than 18 receptions this year. Just gotta keep them out of the end zone.

Petras is 0-2 against Purdue with no TD passes and 4 INTs. Not an accurate passer at all. If he wants to go deep I say bring it. Pretty tough to guard their TE as usual and they have another good one in Sam Laporta. But they don’t have a WR with more than 18 receptions this year. Just gotta keep them out of the end zone.
Nervous how poorly our coverage is from the CB's and Safety's who look lost and let WR's get 5 yards behind them before they turn and run. Happens in every game now.

FBS Rankings
Purdue1787444363
Iowa141161288

Jones and Tracy with record days.

Jones and Tracy with record days.
Like to think that, but I can see Iowa overloading on Jones to assure he doesn't beat them.

I hope that Aidan doesn't fixate on him so much that Iowa jumps the route like Wisconsin did. Pump fake it and burn them.

Basically, the key to this game is not turning the ball over. Repeat, do not turn the ball over.
Yes. Iowa will do all they can to jump routes on Charlie Jones in particular to intercept. Pump fake and look off once in awhile. I expect it to be a tough matchup and good game.

Iowa doesn't really play an exotic defense like Wisconsin does. Wisconsin plays a lot of games up front and with their coverage to confuse the QB. Iowa doesn't do a lot of that. I think Brohm does better when he's the more aggressive one with his play calling. Iowa is vanilla compared to most college teams.

If Iowa scores it will be because of turnovers with a short field, their offense is not very good.

Like to think that, but I can see Iowa overloading on Jones to assure he doesn't beat them.

I hope that Aidan doesn't fixate on him so much that Iowa jumps the route like Wisconsin did. Pump fake it and burn them.
David Bell always had field days against Iowa. I’m not sure iowa can stop Jones either.

This is one I'm really not worried about relatively speaking. I really don't see Iowa stopping this offense with a week off getting healthy. The secondary is still in bad shape but this is the week to get some confidence. I expected the line to be closer to 7 but it opened at 4. Moved to 4.5 on my site already.

This is one I'm really not worried about relatively speaking. I really don't see Iowa stopping this offense with a week off getting healthy. The secondary is still in bad shape but this is the week to get some confidence. I expected the line to be closer to 7 but it opened at 4. Moved to 4.5 on my site already.
Iowa has a really good defense, not sure how Purdue will do against it

So in other words, expect Purdue to turn the ball over numerous times...
Honestly, I think this is a game where the primary conflict is Brohm versus Brohm. You know what Iowa is going to do, what they can and can't do. Will he be content to call a draw play on 3rd and 20 in his own territory and keep his QB out of trouble? Complementary football. This isn't a game where you need to score on every possession. But it is a game, much like Wisconsin, that you could practically lose the game on 1-2 early possessions.

I see whoever has the lead at the end of the first quarter as the winner. The key for Iowa to win is to build an early lead and then play ball control and time management and keep that lead. If Purdue has an early and big lead, Iowa doesn’t have a quick strike offense to catch up. Because Iowa’s offense is built around ball control, it basically will help Purdue as Iowa will basically run out the clock against themselves as they pound and grind.

so don’t make stupid mistakes. Don’t turn the ball over. Build an early lead. And then let Iowa defeat themselves with their slow offfense.

and please do something with our secondary!

Most of us in Hawkeyeland think Bell went 10-0 against us with a 150% 3rd down conversion rate. Nightmares.
Bell and before him Anthony Mahoungou. Bell did a lot of damage and nightmares as it seemed he was always behind your safety's and CB's.

All that said, I'm going to be surprised if Purdue can go over the top against your D like in years past. The only person that may do that is Charlie Jones and I suspect he'll be keyed upon diligently by D.C. Parker not letting him beat you. Conversely, our D gets gashed by the long ball time and again by every team now. I know you guys have Petras and young WR's, but taking up to 6 shots and if successful on 2 may keep you in the game till the end.

I believe we can win, but if we turn it over like WI and get in a hole, it could equally be a long day for us. Interesting game for sure as PU strength O vs IA strength D and PU weakness D vs IA weakness O.

Rain is in the forecast.
50% chance of rain. Purdue does not win in rain. It is that simple. Trying to remember the last rain event where Purdue actually won. There might be a case in the last 5 yrs, but rain may have cleared before or early in the game. Passing attack is affected and running game stunk in prior years.

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT