ADVERTISEMENT

Brohms in New Pal today

After Pack, that is my question with any recruit or transfer anymore, football or basketball.

Do our coaches talk about this with potential recruits and transfers right now on visits?
Talk or not they better have cash. That’s why I almost think if purdue is gonna go into this process spending 1/10 what Ohio state spends, you’re better off spending Ohio state money on 3 players and then taking a bunch of 5.5 RR Pat Fitzgerald type of kids than trying to spend “meh” money on 25 recruits.

Just like in the portal. Better off taking money for ten meh transfers and breaking the bank on 2-3, then fill out your transfer with guys with talent who lack leverage

Talk or not they better have cash. That’s why I almost think if purdue is gonna go into this process spending 1/10 what Ohio state spends, you’re better off spending Ohio state money on 3 players and then taking a bunch of 5.5 RR Pat Fitzgerald type of kids than trying to spend “meh” money on 25 recruits.

Just like in the portal. Better off taking money for ten meh transfers and breaking the bank on 2-3, then fill out your transfer with guys with talent who lack leverage
Do it like the NFL does: spend the majority of your “cap space” on the premium positions: QB, LT, WR1, EDGE, and CB.

Do it like the NFL does: spend the majority of your “cap space” on the premium positions: QB, LT, WR1, EDGE, and CB.
I think for us that might be different. QBs wanna come here regardless, so we might spend more on RB and OL than another school in our market level .. no?

I think for us that might be different. QBs wanna come here regardless, so we might spend more on RB and OL than another school in our market level .. no?
Eh, there are lots of RBs out there. But I’m fine with the backs we’ve had historically, for the most part, other than when they were all hurt.

Eh, there are lots of RBs out there. But I’m fine with the backs we’ve had historically, for the most part, other than when they were all hurt.
If we were buyers I don’t know why one wouldn’t want to buy players at positions you don’t normally recruit well.

My prediction is that you aren’t getting studs for free, at ANY position, moving forward.
No I know, I’m talking about the players you pay the most for.

follow me here. We won’t have to pay anywhere close to the NIL money Iowa would for a QB. Jeff brohm put David Blough and likely Aiden “Wheaton college” oconnell in the league. If you’re the QB and you pick Iowa over Purdue, that NIL money might be all you get.

would you rather have 300k and a way better shot to showcase for the league or 900k and who knows?

The opposite applies for us vs Iowa at LT

no?

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
No I know, I’m talking about the players you pay the most for.

follow me here. We won’t have to pay anywhere close to the NIL money Iowa would for a QB. Jeff brohm put David Blough and likely Aiden “Wheaton college” oconnell in the league. If you’re the QB and you pick Iowa over Purdue, that NIL money might be all you get.

would you rather have 300k and a way better shot to showcase for the league or 900k and who knows?

The opposite applies for us vs Iowa at LT

no?
Yeah I would say we can MAYBE get somewhat of a discount on some QBs with the Brohms here… that’s it tho.

And also depends on how proven a commodity they are coming in, obviously.

Yeah I would say we can MAYBE get somewhat of a discount on some QBs with the Brohms here… that’s it tho.

And also depends on how proven a commodity they are coming in, obviously.
I’m only suggesting some discount. We won’t need to pay a QB half of what Illinois will to have him line up behind 6 OL and two TE.

I’m not naive enough to think we get the next allen for anything close to free.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
I’m only suggesting some discount. We won’t need to pay a QB half of what Illinois will to have him line up behind 6 OL and two TE.

I’m not naive enough to think we get the next allen for anything close to free.
The reality is… there are guys already in the program that we won’t be able to keep for free…

The reality is… there are guys already in the program that we won’t be able to keep for free…
Oh I totally agree.. but we were just taking incoming guys. I’m watching the portal until the May 1 deadline. It would be an unbelievable blow if Jalen Graham was to go in.

if this was a year from now we’d have to likely match offers for Graham, Allen, Johnson, Oconnell, Wright, Thompson and Hartwig if not more! Oconnell and Graham being the biggest

I'd spend the money in the trenches. That's what matters most in the college game. Without the trenches, your skill guys mean nothing...

I'd spend the money in the trenches. That's what matters most in the college game. Without the trenches, your skill guys mean nothing...
Ok but even then … with hagens track record I don’t think we’d need to spend nearly as much on a good DL as we would on a good OL.

one coach is not good and the other one might be the best position coach in Purdue history

now, if it’s a DL like George where he’s gonna be causing problems as a true freshman, yeah you’re gonna have to break the bank.

pat this is simple as I see it. Pay your stars. Pay a premium for players you don’t usually get/positions you don’t usually get. Get out in front of it and pay your likely future stars (Garrett Miller) more than their current production might warrant. Pay a couple big time incoming transfers. Pay guys to stay an extra year and guys who have leverage to transfer out (would have had to spend big time retain Jalen Graham and Aiden Oconnell if this was already set up).

for everyone else you have an apparatus to help them get 50, 75+ Or more a year go fund me style from the fan base.

what does this mean? In terms of big donor dollars in big chunks this year I would have allocated it thus way. I’ll just assign a payout number for scales sake

oconnell 100
Graham 100
Wright 100
RB transfer 1 95
OL transfer 1 95
Johnson 75
Hartwig 65
Allen 65
Durham 65
E. Miller 65
G. Miller 60
Trice 55
Grant 50
Allen 45
Caraway 45
Strickland 40
Mbow 30
Moussa 30
Grant 25

everyone else you’d only do big dollars for if you could spend like the big boys.

the key is, the have our internal people who help these guys get their own money to focus on the players who don’t get big chunks from big donors. If you’re getting Yaseen or Jamari brown 50-75k this year in small donation money those guys will be fine. Wanna get a big check? Play like it and you will.

now here’s the worst thing that can happen. We do that Purdue nice guy thing and say “oh come on if you’re gonna give big donor money to Graham and Oconnell then you have to spread it out more amongst the entire 85.” So then you reduce what Graham gets in round 1 and when Michigan offers him 6 times that he doesn’t give you the option to match.

is my list exact and are the percentages exact. No. But they should be going along those lines.

and then, in game 2 if Preston Terrell serves notice that he was always a big time player just waiting for the chance to show it, boom.. you sign him to the first deal reflective of everyone’s 2023 value and so on.

if you squeeze the juice out of every big donor dollar and do everything else right, Purdue can thrive. If you try to be fair and nice with 5-10% of what Ohio state is gonna spend you’re gonna get slaughtered

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Oh I totally agree.. but we were just taking incoming guys. I’m watching the portal until the May 1 deadline. It would be an unbelievable blow if Jalen Graham was to go in.

if this was a year from now we’d have to likely match offers for Graham, Allen, Johnson, Oconnell, Wright, Thompson and Hartwig if not more! Oconnell and Graham being the biggest
Lots of paranoia here. Show me where guys are transferring to P5 schools for 50-100k paydays? Then, show me where they are leaving to go from 1 mid level program to another? As good as Graham is…elite programs don’t need his services. He’s good but he’s not as good as you’re imagining.

You’ve created a market in your head that just flat out doesn’t exist.

Lots of paranoia here. Show me where guys are transferring to P5 schools for 50-100k paydays? Then, show me where they are leaving to go from 1 mid level program to another? As good as Graham is…elite programs don’t need his services. He’s good but he’s not as good as you’re imagining.

You’ve created a market in your head that just flat out doesn’t exist.
I can’t show you any of that cause it’s new. My list was based on what’s gonna happen once you have a year of spending like what I think we will see.

none of it’s happening now. It will. And people will wish they were paranoid enough when it’s time.

I wasn’t saying 100k I was saying 100 as in 100% or the largest deal. In 12 months Aiden Oconnell May have cost a million dollars. Maybe things do calm down and he only cost 100k to retain. But I’d bet on the former because you’re dealing with unstable ass holes raising the market because you only need one guy to do that.

a 3 star DT got 500k to sign .. you don’t think Someone would have offered the QB right behind CJ Stroud and Bryce young in QBR a million to leave??

I can’t show you any of that cause it’s new. My list was based on what’s gonna happen once you have a year of spending like what I think we will see.

none of it’s happening now. It will. And people will wish they were paranoid enough when it’s time.

I wasn’t saying 100k I was saying 100 as in 100% or the largest deal. In 12 months Aiden Oconnell May have cost a million dollars. Maybe things do calm down and he only cost 100k to retain. But I’d bet on the former because you’re dealing with unstable ass holes raising the market because you only need one guy to do that.

a 3 star DT got 500k to sign .. you don’t think Someone would have offered the QB right behind CJ Stroud and Bryce young in QBR a million to leave??
Who is the 3 star DT?

Even though the $$ seems to be flowing you still can’t pay all 85 kids on all 130 teams six figure pay days.

I’d suggest ratcheting down the paranoia. It looks a lot like that “Purdue has only 6 quality starters” BS and Drivel you posted last year. I’ll eat my shorts on this message board if somebody ever writes Garrett Miller a 6 figure check to play college football…at that point we will know it’s out of control.

and on AOC…I do see a point where schools will throw cash at a QB when they desperately need one. AOCs not that type of dude to chase the $$$ like that IMO. Even if he was…I think Alabama would have had to know he exists to be interested…lol

Who is the 3 star DT?

Even though the $$ seems to be flowing you still can’t pay all 85 kids on all 130 teams six figure pay days.

I’d suggest ratcheting down the paranoia. It looks a lot like that “Purdue has only 6 quality starters” BS and Drivel you posted last year. I’ll eat my shorts on this message board if somebody ever writes Garrett Miller a 6 figure check to play college football…at that point we will know it’s out of control.

and on AOC…I do see a point where schools will throw cash at a QB when they desperately need one. AOCs not that type of dude to chase the $$$ like that IMO. Even if he was…I think Alabama would have had to know he exists to be interested…lol
Let’s agree to disagree. The DT is from an athletic headline posted on KHC.

I don’t think Purdue would have the impetus to pay anyone crazy money. I think it’s going to be driven by guys like buddy from blue chips, who are now billionaires.

I hope that once again i am wrong and you are right.

it is already out of control and about to get way more out of control IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT