ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm resuscitated the program, and now he is trying to bury it again

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Wow, it has been an interesting turn of events, since the BT Championship game. Brohm came in and resuscitated the program back after the disaster of the Hope and Hazell years. That was some job. Now, his job is to bury it again.

We knew he would eventually end up at UL someday again, but he is really sticking it to the program now. He has taken all of the coaching staff, including Hagen, which was one, if not the best, recruiter. I do thank him for taking English with him though. He is cherry picking all of our best recruits and I don't think he is done yet with that.

I am assuming that he has started the process of getting into the ears of current players too. It is really easy when Bobinski allows his brother to be the interim head coach and now Hagen is leaving too. This is an absolute train wreck (no pun intended).

That new coach better be an incredible recruiter. Is there a limit to how many people you can take in the transfer portal, because we might be forced to use mostly walk ons otherwise. I guess this is what it feels like to be an IU football fan?

This happens all the time with coaching changes.

Louisville athletics is a cess pool, but that is where he wants to be. Can't blame him for going home. Bobinski just needs to get the right guy. Other than Hagen 0 of the assistants are a loss so this is a great chance for overall staff upgrade in the long run.

Wow, it has been an interesting turn of events, since the BT Championship game. Brohm came in and resuscitated the program back after the disaster of the Hope and Hazell years. That was some job. Now, his job is to bury it again.

We knew he would eventually end up at UL someday again, but he is really sticking it to the program now. He has taken all of the coaching staff, including Hagen, which was one, if not the best, recruiter. I do thank him for taking English with him though. He is cherry picking all of our best recruits and I don't think he is done yet with that.

I am assuming that he has started the process of getting into the ears of current players too. It is really easy when Bobinski allows his brother to be the interim head coach and now Hagen is leaving too. This is an absolute train wreck (no pun intended).

That new coach better be an incredible recruiter. Is there a limit to how many people you can take in the transfer portal, because we might be forced to use mostly walk ons otherwise. I guess this is what it feels like to be an IU football fan?
Agreed.

Anyone else just utterly pissed off about this situation?

This is totally embarrassing at this point.

Reactions: Fugs
Relax, it's all on our AD. Any top tier college coach worth his salt will have his staff picked including Def line coach. The real question should be is our AD capable of landing a top tier coach. Until he proves me wrong I ain't gonna worry about who leaves.

This happens all the time with coaching changes.

Louisville athletics is a cess pool, but that is where he wants to be. Can't blame him for going home. Bobinski just needs to get the right guy. Other than Hagen 0 of the assistants are a loss so this is a great chance for overall staff upgrade in the long run.
It happens all the time to mid majors, like WKy, not to P5 schools.

Relax, it's all on our AD. Any top tier college coach worth his salt will have his staff picked including Def line coach. The real question should be is our AD capable of landing a top tier coach. Until he proves me wrong I ain't gonna worry about who leaves.
Few would have their whole staff picked, especially if they were a coordinator before. Usually a handful of assistants hold the program together during a transition, and the new HC is open, even prefers, to retain one or two for continuity, etc. Problem here is the old HC didn't get fired, and he's going to a place that can pay assistants as well as Purdue. The lesson here is that with the portal and the early signing period, it's no longer feasible to rebuild a program with a short timer, because he'll strip you bare when he moves on. Purdue should never sign another HC who isn't satisfied living in WL and without having a huge buyout clause in the contract. DH1 and DH2 actually left the team with some talent. The cupboard will be stripped bare when this debacle is over.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Few would have their whole staff picked, especially if they were a coordinator before. Usually a handful of assistants hold the program together during a transition, and the new HC is open, even prefers, to retain one or two for continuity, etc. Problem here is the old HC didn't get fired, and he's going to a place that can pay assistants as well as Purdue. The lesson here is that with the portal and the early signing period, it's no longer feasible to rebuild a program with a short timer, because he'll strip you bare when he moves on. Purdue should never sign another HC who isn't satisfied living in WL and without having a huge buyout clause in the contract. DH1 and DH2 actually left the team with some talent. The cupboard will be stripped bare when this debacle is over.
Dude you need a hobby

Reactions: pboiler18
It’s happened to Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma within the last year.
Cincinnati is arguably a mid major, still, and they have successfully built their program over decades with in-state talent OSU doesn't need. Purdue has no such track record or in-state recruiting advantage. So, you're seriously going to compare Purdue to OU and ND in football?! Think they might have a little more depth than Purdue or advantages at retaining it?! Seriously, you're comparing us to 3 recent CFP programs. They can weather this kind of change. Purdue can't without starting over.

Cincinnati is arguably a mid major, still, and they have successfully built their program over decades with in-state talent OSU doesn't need. Purdue has no such track record or in-state recruiting advantage. So, you're seriously going to compare Purdue to OU and ND in football?! Think they might have a little more depth than Purdue or advantages at retaining it?! Seriously, you're comparing us to 3 recent CFP programs. They can weather this kind of change. Purdue can't without starting over.
I wasn’t comparing the programs. Just pointing out that your statement was wrong.

Oh - and it happened to Oregon within the last year as well.

Last edited:
Purdue should never sign another HC who isn't satisfied living in WL and without having a huge buyout clause in the contract.
You will automatically eliminate many of the best candidates by insisting on a huge buyout if they leave.

Very clever -- I should have known better than visit this dying board.
Welcome to the club! Have a differing take and people call you an idiot. Maybe I should go into the archives and reveal how many of these experts loved the Hazell hiring and thought Morgan was a genius!

Reactions: Fugs
I wasn’t comparing the programs. Just pointing out that your statement was wrong.

Oh - and it happened to Oregon within the last year as well.
You miss the point -- you implied Purdue will rebound from this debacle because other P5 teams have done so when they lost a coach. Then you name four P5 teams, as examples, but all of them have been highly successful programs for decades with decided advantages over Purdue in recruiting. The point that I was making, and others in this thread before me, was that the state of this Purdue program is fragile, having just now gotten back on track, and we, therefore, face a major challenge in maintaining any of the positive momentum built over the last few years. And the experiences of the 4 teams you mention doesn't make me any more optimistic.

Last edited:
You miss the point -- you implied Purdue will rebound from this debacle because other P5 teams have done so when they lost a coach. Then you name four P5 teams, as examples, but all of them have been highly successful programs for decades with decided advantages over Purdue in recruiting. The point that I was making, and others in this thread before me, was that the state of this Purdue program is fragile, having just now gotten back on track, and we, therefore, face a major challenge in maintaining any of the positive momentum built over the last few years. And the experiences of the 4 teams you mention doesn't make me any more optimistic.
I implied nothing of the sort. Definitely not blown away by the hire.

Again, was just pointing out that you were wrong.

Of course I wish nothing bad on him. If he gets a coffee its so hot every sip he takes burns his mouth. Stubs his toe every late night bathroom run. Never wins another game ever.
Im absolutely hoping he fails at Louisville. We'll probably have to be competing against him for a lot of Indiana kids. His success there definitely impacts us negatively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT