ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm on not disclosing AOC's injury...

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
"Well, I don't want to disclose what his injury is for his safety, so a lot of times when you get injured during the game, you've got adrenaline and then you're able to play through it," said Brohm.

That seems 100% legit. You don't want your opponent to target the injured area and this seems like a 100% valid reason for not discussing the injury.

"Well, I don't want to disclose what his injury is for his safety, so a lot of times when you get injured during the game, you've got adrenaline and then you're able to play through it," said Brohm.

That seems 100% legit. You don't want your opponent to target the injured area and this seems like a 100% valid reason for not discussing the injury.

I can somewhat buy that. I'm sure there are other teams/players with lack of character who would go after that weakness to try and knock him out of the game.

I can somewhat buy that. I'm sure there are other teams/players with lack of character who would go after that weakness to try and knock him out of the game.
I keep coming back to the Auburn bowl game where the lineman had Rondale's foot and was literally trying to twist it off when they were in the pile. Rondale limps to the sideline, nothing said, nothing done.

Do people think if Aiden can’t play this weekend and they lose to Minnesota and pretty much lose any chance of winning the west that he would shut it down like many kids do now to not hurt his NFL chances?

Do people think if Aiden can’t play this weekend and they lose to Minnesota and pretty much lose any chance of winning the west that he would shut it down like many kids do now to not hurt his NFL chances?
He also needs to play his want into draft status. In no position to rest on laurels or rely on combine performance.

No way. A walkon who plays his way into All Conference at his position doesn't sit out that many games.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Do any teams have worse luck than Purdue football when it comes to injuries? Multiple high impact guys miss time year in and out. I don't follow other teams closely, but to have QB1, WR2, RB1, RT1, LB1 all injured 3 games in is baffling. And I know I'm missing some other key guys too.

This team showed some flashes against a solid PSU team when at full strength. They obviously just don't have the depth. I think they can still make some noise if none of these injuries are too serious.

Do any teams have worse luck than Purdue football when it comes to injuries? Multiple high impact guys miss time year in and out. I don't follow other teams closely, but to have QB1, WR2, RB1, RT1, LB1 all injured 3 games in is baffling. And I know I'm missing some other key guys too.

This team showed some flashes against a solid PSU team when at full strength. They obviously just don't have the depth.
I don't think it's bad luck. I think it's star players trying that much harder to make up the difference to carry the team and they overdo it and end up injured.

Reactions: Tommaker
I don't know the stats, but going back YEARS if you look at a traditional good season, play well in September, limp through October with injuries, then heal mostly up for a good finish in November. I think October used to be a nightmare for Tiller, and I know part of that is who you play. But it also speaks to depth (or lack of it).

This team showed some flashes against a solid PSU team when at full strength. They obviously just don't have the depth. I think they can still make some noise if none of these injuries are too serious.
I recall OSU used their third string QB to win a national championship. Several teams had players who refused to play in bowl games. And then there was that famous Purdue verses Notre dame game when Purdue had a huge lead until Notre dame brought out their third string qb who led them to a 15+ point 4th quarter rally to help Notre dame win that game. His name? Joe Montana.

Didn’t Bosa sit out a few games?

Purdue isn’t any worse than any other team when it comes to injuries to key players. The difference is Unlike other teams , Purdue has very little depth and there is a huge drop-off in talent and experience from the starters and their replacements! Other teams have players who can step in to replace starters. Look at Alabama. They lose players all the time, but their reserves step up and fill in the holes!

Reactions: Tommaker and BSIT
Not a chance, he isn’t Rondale

I recall OSU used their third string QB to win a national championship. Several teams had players who refused to play in bowl games. And then there was that famous Purdue verses Notre dame game when Purdue had a huge lead until Notre dame brought out their third string qb who led them to a 15+ point 4th quarter rally to help Notre dame win that game. His name? Joe Montana.

Didn’t Bosa sit out a few games?

Purdue isn’t any worse than any other team when it comes to injuries to key players. The difference is Unlike other teams , Purdue has very little depth and there is a huge drop-off in talent and experience from the starters and their replacements! Other teams have players who can step in to replace starters. Look at Alabama. They lose players all the time, but their reserves step up and fill in the holes!
Yep I recall Bosa got injured but didn’t play the rest of season even though he recovered and could have. First player I ever saw who didn’t play out of fear for his NFL draft

I don't think it's bad luck. I think it's star players trying that much harder to make up the difference to carry the team and they overdo it and end up injured.
You're onto something here. Injuries, like most accidents, aren't random. There's always contributing factors and risk factors.
In addition to the studs being ridden hard, the marginal recruits who drive hard to reach a competitive level are also at higher risk. Look no further than the medical retirements on the OL. A bunch of guys trying to add weight and strength in a short period of time.
But I think the Aidan thing was more of a case where if you drop back to pass 60 times a game, eventually you are going to take a bad hit to an exposed area.

You're onto something here. Injuries, like most accidents, aren't random. There's always contributing factors and risk factors.
In addition to the studs being ridden hard, the marginal recruits who drive hard to reach a competitive level are also at higher risk. Look no further than the medical retirements on the OL. A bunch of guys trying to add weight and strength in a short period of time.
But I think the Aidan thing was more of a case where if you drop back to pass 60 times a game, eventually you are going to take a bad hit to an exposed area.
You HAVE to protect "the franchise"...you see it in the NFL (Herbert/Burrow presently, Luck and so many other previously), and, it is true in college also.

To your point, if you repeatedly expose a guy to hits, it is merely a matter of time before something bad happens...and, Purdue has not been legitimately good up front in a long time.

Think back to when Brees was there...or Orton...think about who was up front and how good they were and what a difference it made on the back end as such.

You HAVE to protect "the franchise"...you see it in the NFL (Herbert/Burrow presently, Luck and so many other previously), and, it is true in college also.

To your point, if you repeatedly expose a guy to hits, it is merely a matter of time before something bad happens...and, Purdue has not been legitimately good up front in a long time.

Think back to when Brees was there...or Orton...think about who was up front and how good they were and what a difference it made on the back end as such.
The Giants have one of the worse OL in Pro ball, Jones takes alot of hits past and present.

In 2019 we were down Bailey and Neal (2 best players on defense going into season), Rondale and Sindelar (2 most important players on offense) by week 3. That was pretty crazy

ADVERTISEMENT