ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm/big ten expansion

johnboiler123

True Freshman
Jul 23, 2020
Should we still be worried about Brohm potentially leaving for somewhere like Louisville? Which is now clearly in an inferior conference, making far less money. The b1g and sec are in a league above everyone else, and the gap is only getting bigger with our continued expansion of premier universities from around the country.

Louisville and the acc would be a huge step down at this point IMO. I feel like our new media deal really helps secure Borhm for the long term unless the NFL or a college blue blood program comes calling. Curious on people's thoughts?

Should we still be worried about Brohm potentially leaving for somewhere like Louisville? Which is now clearly in an inferior conference, making far less money. The b1g and sec are in a league above everyone else, and the gap is only getting bigger with our continued expansion of premier universities from around the country.

Louisville and the acc would be a huge step down at this point IMO. I feel like our new media deal really helps secure Borhm for the long term unless the NFL or a college blue blood program comes calling. Curious on people's thoughts?
I don't know that it ultimately matters to him...Louisville is home. I don't get the sense that money is what drives him or his decisions, or, that it is critical to him.

And, a case could be made for the exact opposite as well...Purdue is poised to be an afterthought with expansion, and, more so even with NIL potentially.

There is going to be a "HAVE" and "HAVE NOT" of college football...and, it could be as simple as their being 2 mega-conferences in the "HAVE" world (but, within it, there will still be the lower tier teams that are a part of it, but, largely just so as to cash checks opposed to actually compete). If Purdue finds itself in that position, then, all the more reason for Brohm to consider leaving and going back home.

Last edited:
I don't know that it ultimately matters to him...Louisville is home. I don't get the sense that money is what drives him or his decisions, or, that it is critical to him.

And, a case could be made for the exact opposite as well...Purdue is poised to be an afterthought with expansion, and, more so even with NIL potentially.

There is going to be a "HAVE" and "HAVE NOT" of college football...and, it could be as simple as their being 2 mega-conferences in the "HAVE" world (but, within it, there will still be the lower tier teams that are a part of it, but, largely just so as to cash checks opposed to actually compete). If Purdue finds itself in that position, then, all the more reason for Brohm to consider leaving and going back home.
The financial arms race is going to be bad for D1 teams in Indiana. Indiana is a smallish state with two B1G teams. There are only so many alums with deep pockets willing to put financial resources into NIL slush funds, even if they are national universities to a large degree. Compared to, say, Ohio which is a lot bigger by population and where OSU is the only game in town.

From the list of most watched teams in 2021. I have seen this several places now.

1. Ohio State — 5.22M
2. Michigan — 4.74M
4. Penn State — 3.87M
8. Michigan State — 2.89M
11. Wisconsin — 2.41M
12. Nebraska — 2.29M
20. Iowa — 1.64M
21. Purdue — 1.63M
24. Minnesota — 1.28M
26. Indiana — 1.24M
31. Illinois — 1.13M
39. Maryland — 971K
48. Northwestern — 716K
58. Rutgers — 488K

This really puts the new Big Ten media deal in perspective. The SEC might be better, but the Big Ten is more lucrative. And both are way more lucrative than ACC.

Louisville is #51 on this list, playing in a conference whose top team Clemson is #19. Florida St, another ACC flag ship, is right between Minnesota and IU. Money might not be Brohm's top priority, but Purdue will be able to match, possibly double, anything that Louisville can throw at him, and give him the chance to compete against the best in the country, as opposed to what will quickly become the college version of minor leagues. I believe that matters to him.

And despite what many might think, Purdue is not a bottom of the barrel situation. It is positioned right in the middle of an EXTREMELY profitable conference. We were never going to compete on a yearly basis with OSU or Michigan. Never have, never will. But we do now have a big advantage over schools like NC State or Iowa State. Everyone in the mega conference will get an opportunity to take a bite at the apple and to lure in plenty of 4* recruits. Those stuck in also ran conferences will not. That matters, too.

With the new media deal Purdue will be bringing in more money than Alabama or Georgia. Simply crazy to imagine, but true. The last piece of the puzzle is how to get a portion of this money to the student athletes, beyond the $6K academic stipend. It is starting to feel inevitable. And when it does, any imbalance in NIL opportunity will be a minor issue for 99% of recruits when you can offer $25k deals right out of pocket.

Now, back to the list. Just imagine Indiana's number if it didn't factor in 1, 2, 4, and 8. HA!

Last edited:
From the list of most watched teams in 2021. I have seen this several places now.

1. Ohio State — 5.22M
2. Michigan — 4.74M
4. Penn State — 3.87M
11. Wisconsin — 2.41M
12. Nebraska — 2.29M
20. Iowa — 1.64M
21. Purdue — 1.63M
24. Minnesota — 1.28M
26. Indiana — 1.24M
31. Illinois — 1.13M
39. Maryland — 971K
48. Northwestern — 716K
58. Rutgers — 488K

This really puts the new Big Ten media deal in perspective. The SEC might be better, but the Big Ten is more lucrative. And both are way more lucrative than ACC.

Louisville is #51 on this list, playing in a conference whose top team Clemson is #19. Florida St, another ACC flag ship, is right between Minnesota and IU. Money might not be Brohm's top priority, but Purdue will be able to match, possibly double, anything that Louisville can throw at him, and give him the chance to compete against the best in the country, as opposed to what will quickly become the college version of minor leagues. I believe that matters to him.

And despite what many might think, Purdue is not a bottom of the barrel situation. It is positioned right in the middle of an EXTREMELY profitable conference. We were never going to compete on a yearly basis with OSU or Michigan. Never have, never will. But we do now have a big advantage over schools like NC State or Iowa State. Everyone in the mega conference will get an opportunity to take a bite at the apple and to lure in plenty of 4* recruits. Those stuck in also ran conferences will not. That matters, too.

With the new media deal Purdue will be bringing in more money than Alabama or Georgia. Simply crazy to imagine, but true. The last piece of the puzzle is how to get a portion of this money to the student athletes, beyond the $6K academic stipend. It is starting to feel inevitable. And when it does, any imbalance in NIL opportunity will be a minor issue for 99% of recruits when you can offer $25k deals right out of pocket.

Now, back to the list. Just imagine Indiana's number if it didn't factor in 1, 2, 4, and 8. HA!
Good information, and, you could be right...I just don't get the sense that salary matters to Brohm, or, that it will be that compelling to remain in the B1G (more so if Purdue becomes the B1G version of Vanderbilt in the SEC).

Agree that Purdue was never going to compete annually (never really has, and, likely never will to your point), but, it at least competed on occasion...and, even that stands to disappear with expansion and NIL as it stands. As for those 4* recruits all will have a shot at...with expansion, there are more schools to compete with, and, Purdue will still be down the list for most (maybe even further down, and definitely so if they are not a NIL player).

I absolutely could/may be wrong...time will tell. I do agree that Purdue would have more money to offer him than Louisville...that Purdue's program is in a better position (and will be) than Louisville's...but, home is home...he is not a guy driven by money...and, if Purdue is not legitimately competitive, then, going home to coach in the minor leagues to end his career may resonate.

Reactions: BSIT
Good information, and, you could be right...I just don't get the sense that salary matters to Brohm, or, that it will be that compelling to remain in the B1G (more so if Purdue becomes the B1G version of Vanderbilt in the SEC).

Agree that Purdue was never going to compete annually (never really has, and, likely never will to your point), but, it at least competed on occasion...and, even that stands to disappear with expansion and NIL as it stands. As for those 4* recruits all will have a shot at...with expansion, there are more schools to compete with, and, Purdue will still be down the list for most (maybe even further down, and definitely so if they are not a NIL player).

I absolutely could/may be wrong...time will tell. I do agree that Purdue would have more money to offer him than Louisville...that Purdue's program is in a better position (and will be) than Louisville's...but, home is home...he is not a guy driven by money...and, if Purdue is not legitimately competitive, then, going home to coach in the minor leagues to end his career may resonate.
I am not convinced, based on the arguments provided, that Purdue cannot be "legitimately competitive" in the new paradigm. Unless you define that as competing with the big boys for a playoff spot on a regular basis. In terms of recruiting, I see Purdue being more competitive, not less. When the media money fully takes hold, Purdue should start pulling recruits out of places like Texas as never before - maybe not the studs, but won't be losing recruiting battles for 2nd tier guys to places like Baylor or Texas Tech. The media contract will be the great equalizer and then some for competing against any school not in the Big Ten or SEC. Meanwhile a school like Louisville could quite easily get left out of the competitive picture and be resigned to playing for titles in a new 2nd tier league with a bunch of current G5 programs. The ACC won't get a playoff bid forever as its premier programs get picked off. Literally the only appeal to Brohm will be the home factor.

I am not convinced, based on the arguments provided, that Purdue cannot be "legitimately competitive" in the new paradigm. Unless you define that as competing with the big boys for a playoff spot on a regular basis. In terms of recruiting, I see Purdue being more competitive, not less. When the media money fully takes hold, Purdue should start pulling recruits out of places like Texas as never before - maybe not the studs, but won't be losing recruiting battles for 2nd tier guys to places like Baylor or Texas Tech. The media contract will be the great equalizer and then some for competing against any school not in the Big Ten or SEC. Meanwhile a school like Louisville could quite easily get left out of the competitive picture and be resigned to playing for titles in a new 2nd tier league with a bunch of current G5 programs. The ACC won't get a playoff bid forever as its premier programs get picked off. Literally the only appeal to Brohm will be the home factor.
Could be the case...like say, we will see.

And, I do not define it as such.

I don't think Purdue will ever recruit Texas with the success that it did with Tiller regardless.

There are going to be at least 20 program in the B1G...same in SEC...Purdue is, at best, in the middle somewhere (of each)...so, top 20...maybe that is better than where they stand presently, but, not like they are going to be much above that, nor that they are...and, that does not account for some ACC schools that will still draw talent potentially.

Is there any truth to the rumor that his wife stays in Louisville quite a bit and his daughter goes to a private school down there too?

The financial arms race is going to be bad for D1 teams in Indiana. Indiana is a smallish state with two B1G teams. There are only so many alums with deep pockets willing to put financial resources into NIL slush funds, even if they are national universities to a large degree. Compared to, say, Ohio which is a lot bigger by population and where OSU is the only game in town.
Ahem, there are 3 sizable D1 colleges in Indiana. Don't forget the Big red-headed step brother to the North. Must've been the milkman.

Leprechaun St Paddys GIF by MOODMAN

I don't think Purdue will ever recruit Texas with the success that it did with Tiller regardless.

There are going to be at least 20 program in the B1G...same in SEC...Purdue is, at best, in the middle somewhere (of each)...so, top 20...maybe that is better than where they stand presently, but, not like they are going to be much above that, nor that they are...and, that does not account for some ACC schools that will still draw talent potentially.
Top 25 with a chance to peak into Top 10, is better than where the ACC leftovers will be if Clemson and any team of value (Miami, FSU, UNC) start getting plucked. The remaining ACC schools might just shutter their unprofitable football programs and become the new Big East. It will be rough times for schools left out in the cold.

I'll take Purdue football as a Top 25 program consistently all day, every day. The money is absolutely enormous for the B1G and Louisville doesn't stand a chance compared to Purdue.

And I'd bet money that Clemson and FSU won't be in the ACC 2 years from now. When that happens, UNC and Duke will bolt, leaving the ACC standing without much money or viewership. What do you think happens to Louisville's ability to compete at that point?

I'll take Purdue football as a Top 25 program consistently all day, every day. The money is absolutely enormous for the B1G and Louisville doesn't stand a chance compared to Purdue.

And I'd bet money that Clemson and FSU won't be in the ACC 2 years from now. When that happens, UNC and Duke will bolt, leaving the ACC standing without much money or viewership. What do you think happens to Louisville's ability to compete at that point?
Football is driving the bus. Duke and Loiusville will be Big East fodder.

1. Ohio State — 5.22M
2. Michigan — 4.74M
4. Penn State — 3.87M
11. Wisconsin — 2.41M
12. Nebraska — 2.29M
20. Iowa — 1.64M
21. Purdue — 1.63M
24. Minnesota — 1.28M
26. Indiana — 1.24M
31. Illinois — 1.13M
39. Maryland — 971K
48. Northwestern — 716K
58. Rutgers — 488K

To add to this, USC 1.1M, UCLA 1.18M, making the Big Ten even more lucrative.

I would venture to guess that the fans of the LA teams will likely be viewing an additional B1G game this year, for no other reason than curiosity.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Top 25 with a chance to peak into Top 10, is better than where the ACC leftovers will be if Clemson and any team of value (Miami, FSU, UNC) start getting plucked. The remaining ACC schools might just shutter their unprofitable football programs and become the new Big East. It will be rough times for schools left out in the cold.
Do not disagree at all...and, I would fully expect those 4 teams to indeed be plucked...at which point the ACC will no longer exist as you have suggested.

No doubt the B1G is a better place to be than not, but, I am speaking directly about Purdue and about Brohm specifically...it is not as if Purdue is going to somehow turn into a national power just by being affiliated with top programs that happen to be in the same conference. I mean, Purdue just fell two spots from a relevance standpoint and competitive one with the expansion that just occurred...it is not as if the B1G is/will be adding teams that are worse than Purdue for the most part...it is not as if they are adding Maryland and Rutgers again.

It is going to be really rough times for schools left out, but, it is going to be really rough as well for some that are not...they will just have the benefit of cashing some really nice checks while being irrelevant.

You could be right, you could be wrong. What does it matter? Only he and his family and ultimately he have any say over what direction he goes in the future. So why even worry about it? With the financial resources we will now have in football, If he leaves he leaves. But he is putting a competitive team on the field and who’s to say that with the deeper pockets replacing him will be like it was when Haze left?

There was zero in a cupboard when CJB came in. It won’t be like that in the future because CJB is blue collar and cares about his reputation so it seems. I doubt he would bold and leave a covered beaThere was zero in a cupboard when CJB came in. It won’t be like that in the future because CJB is blue collar and cares about his reputation so it seems. I doubt he would bold and leave the cupboard bare

Reactions: MisterBlack7
You could be right, you could be wrong. What does it matter? Only he and his family and ultimately he have any say over what direction he goes in the future. So why even worry about it? With the financial resources we will now have in football, If he leaves he leaves. But he is putting a competitive team on the field and who’s to say that with the deeper pockets replacing him will be like it was when Haze left?

There was zero in a cupboard when CJB came in. It won’t be like that in the future because CJB is blue collar and cares about his reputation so it seems. I doubt he would bold and leave a covered beaThere was zero in a cupboard when CJB came in. It won’t be like that in the future because CJB is blue collar and cares about his reputation so it seems. I doubt he would bold and leave the cupboard bare
Did MC Escher write that last paragraph??

Reactions: clbndgm

1. Ohio State — 5.22M
2. Michigan — 4.74M
4. Penn State — 3.87M
11. Wisconsin — 2.41M
12. Nebraska — 2.29M
20. Iowa — 1.64M
21. Purdue — 1.63M
24. Minnesota — 1.28M
26. Indiana — 1.24M
31. Illinois — 1.13M
39. Maryland — 971K
48. Northwestern — 716K
58. Rutgers — 488K

Lots of good points here. My summary is this - schools like N.C. St., Iowa St., Georgia Tech, Arizona, etc. are good comps for Purdue from an athletics standpoint in the old paradigm. Middle tier schools in Power 5 conferences. In the new world paradigm of survival of the fittest, the B1G and SEC are far and away the "fittest" and in all likelihood the B1G is king of the kingdom. Purdue's comps in the old paradigm are not attractive to the new world order power conferences. Thus . . . the bottom line is . . . if Purdue were not a charter member of one of the fittest, we'd be screwed.

Reactions: DAG10
There are some good points here.Thanks guys.I think within five years there will be two major conferences with twenty teams each and that Brohm will be here for at least five more years.Time will tell.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Do not disagree at all...and, I would fully expect those 4 teams to indeed be plucked...at which point the ACC will no longer exist as you have suggested.

No doubt the B1G is a better place to be than not, but, I am speaking directly about Purdue and about Brohm specifically...it is not as if Purdue is going to somehow turn into a national power just by being affiliated with top programs that happen to be in the same conference. I mean, Purdue just fell two spots from a relevance standpoint and competitive one with the expansion that just occurred...it is not as if the B1G is/will be adding teams that are worse than Purdue for the most part...it is not as if they are adding Maryland and Rutgers again.

It is going to be really rough times for schools left out, but, it is going to be really rough as well for some that are not...they will just have the benefit of cashing some really nice checks while being irrelevant.

I guess I missed where UCLA football became a better program than Purdue's...

Lots of good points here. My summary is this - schools like N.C. St., Iowa St., Georgia Tech, Arizona, etc. are good comps for Purdue from an athletics standpoint in the old paradigm. Middle tier schools in Power 5 conferences. In the new world paradigm of survival of the fittest, the B1G and SEC are far and away the "fittest" and in all likelihood the B1G is king of the kingdom. Purdue's comps in the old paradigm are not attractive to the new world order power conferences. Thus . . . the bottom line is . . . if Purdue were not a charter member of one of the fittest, we'd be screwed.
I would agree with that. And lots of fans from ACC, Big12, and Pac12 teams that get burned in this transition will be pointing at Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, etc. Sorry, not sorry. We bought the 1986 Microsoft stock.

EXACTLY. And if my understanding of the history is correct, we all owe Jim Delany a huge THANK YOU. In 2004 ESPN was low balling the B1G in a contract negotiation for broadcast rights. ESPN said take it or leave it, thinking Delany had no option. Delany stood up, said "I'll start my own network" and walked out of the meeting. The ESPN execs laughed at him. He then formed the Big Ten Network. And the rest boys and girls is history.

I guess I missed where UCLA football became a better program than Purdue's...
While that point can be debated (as, not as if Purdue is some stellar program), that UCLA's brand and presence is far greater than Purdue's cannot...and, I do believe that UCLA will have success as a member of the B1G....in all sports...and, that the average recruit, if even in the position of weighing an offer from both, would go west more likely than not.

You know if you wanna bait fans from Louisville you could just put a Turkey sandwich with brown gravy on your porch right ??

The only way I see Brohm leaving is if the wheels come off. If Brohm gets to 9-3 again this year, I think recruiting wise, we will be as good as the haul we had in 2018. I think 6-6 or 5-7 (if AOC goes down and other dominoes fall) then who knows.

I believe Brohm saw the Purdue potential last year, but he still needs better talent to upend Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota on a more frequent basis….and a good season this year keeps that ball rolling.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The only way I see Brohm leaving is if the wheels come off. If Brohm gets to 9-3 again this year, I think recruiting wise, we will be as good as the haul we had in 2018. I think 6-6 or 5-7 (if AOC goes down and other dominoes fall) then who knows.

I believe Brohm saw the Purdue potential last year, but he still needs better talent to upend Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota on a more frequent basis….and a good season this year keeps that ball rolling.
If we have another good year I agree that we could potentially get the ball rolling recruiting wise and really get something special going for the duration of Brohm's tenure. Paired with the massive amount of money the athletic department is about to see, we have an immediate advantage over every program not in the b1g or sec.

I thought this thread was bad enough.. The I saw Tom D's 'article' about Brohm and how he is going to leave Purdue and am so glad I don't give this site any of my money.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
I thought this thread was bad enough.. The I saw Tom D's 'article' about Brohm and how he is going to leave Purdue and am so glad I don't give this site any of my money.
Well, whether you like it or not, it's a real issue moving forward as it has been in the past. Go take a nap, maybe you won't be as cranky afterwards.

Well, whether you like it or not, it's a real issue moving forward as it has been in the past. Go take a nap, maybe you won't be as cranky afterwards.
I don't fault a fan on a free board. But 1 week out from a season opener in a season with some positive vibes and expectations... and THAT is the article you roll out? Pure tripe. Ok, nap time. I've got to stay up late ~10pm or so tonight!

Reactions: MisterBlack7
I don't fault a fan on a free board. But 1 week out from a season opener in a season with some positive vibes and expectations... and THAT is the article you roll out? Pure tripe. Ok, nap time. I've got to stay up late ~10pm or so tonight!
I read the article, didn't see the problem with it. Yes, Brohm WILL leave eventually, but it could be after 10 more years of coaching here. Who knows? I think the expansion and added money helps him stay. The article was extremely complimentary of him. And if anybody, you should be mad at Brohm for flirting with other programs every off-season( I personally don't care).

I read the article, didn't see the problem with it. Yes, Brohm WILL leave eventually, but it could be after 10 more years of coaching here. Who knows? It was extremely complimentary of him. And if anybody, you should be mad at Brohm for flirting with other programs every off-season( I personally don't care).
If you think that was a well written article, I don't know what to tell you. That was freshman level IU school of journalism.

Summary:
-Brohm has done good things at Purdue (duh)
-Here are some accomplishments per his Wiki page
-He's definitely going to leave because Louisville.. or something
-Ambiguous closing.. blah blah.. legacy

If you think that was a well written article, I don't know what to tell you. That was freshman level IU school of journalism.

Summary:
I said I didn't see the problem with it, reading seems to be a pretty big issue for you. You remind me of Homer Simpsons dad in the 'old man yelling at cloud ' gif. Lol

Summary:
Tom D must be bored to write that. It's one of the reasons I don't pay any attention to articles here.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Brohm will be gone when the NFL comes calling. Which could be after this season if he leads Purdue to win the west.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT