ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm Almost was the IU coach?>?

I almost won the powerball jackpot. Only 6 numbers off.
I had 2 scratch offs yesterday and almost won $50,000 on both of them. I mean you had to match three prize amounts and both times I got 2 $50,000s. Think I probably better buy a bunch more today.

Reactions: boilerpt
Don’t forget Urban wanted to be a Who Who Who Whoosier also.

Obviously the Urban thing is false as OSU was Urban's dream job being an Ohio native.

But I can see Brohm wanting to go to IU before he took the Purdue job, it is much closer to his hometown.

Remember John Wooden was hired by Purdue but he didn't want to wait a year so he ended up going to UCLA. Over 60 years later and that one still stings.

Reactions: Dlefeber
Obviously the Urban thing is false as OSU was Urban's dream job being an Ohio native.

But I can see Brohm wanting to go to IU before he took the Purdue job, it is much closer to his hometown.

Remember John Wooden was hired by Purdue but he didn't want to wait a year so he ended up going to UCLA. Over 60 years later and that one still stings.

Unless they were referring to when Urban was still at Bowling Green to replace Cam Cameron in ‘02. Dan Dakich has had Urban on many times and stayed Urban asked him about the IU job. Dan Dakich stated he tried to convince them. Whether it is true or not, it would have made sense seeing how Urban left for Utah in 03. But, Utah was a much better job, and rode Alex Smith to the Florida job. I am not sure he would have had anywhere near the success at IU, so Urban may have dodged a huge bullet. If IU did have a chance at Urban and didn’t offer him, than I am sure he has spent almost everyday since then thanking IU for passing. Although, it could have saved him “health issues”.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
Unless they were referring to when Urban was still at Bowling Green to replace Cam Cameron in ‘02. Dan Dakich has had Urban on many times and stayed Urban asked him about the IU job. Dan Dakich stated he tried to convince them. Whether it is true or not, it would have made since seeing how Urban left for Utah in 03. But, Utah was a much better job, and rode Alex Smith to the Florida job. I am not sure he would have had anywhere near the success at IU, so Urban may have dodged a huge bullet. If IU did have a chance at Urban and didn’t offer him, than I am sure he has spent almost everyday since then thanking IU for passing. Although, it could have saved him “health issues”.

There is still allot of pressure to coach at IU or Purdue or any division I school, not sure it would saved him health issues, but it would have saved him from winning any national titles as its very hard to recruit to IU or even Purdue at the level it takes to win a title, not impossible but once in a blue moon it will happen.

I believe it's safe to say Brohm may have considered an offer from IU. They may have even sent an inquiry to his agent. In saying that, I believe it's safe to say Brohm has probably received many private inquiries. We know about the Louisville and Tennessee inquiries. Surely, there have been others, and as his success continues, there will be many more inquiries and offers received. As with any person, I'm quite sure you have also taken the time to see what other opportunities exist. The key is loyalty. Some have it, while many others don't. And not everything you read is true.

Makes you think they were going to give it to Allen all along. I can’t imagine Allen throwing down a better interview than Brohm ever.

Makes you think they were going to give it to Allen all along. I can’t imagine Allen throwing down a better interview than Brohm ever.
That makes me believe they had many contacts with Allen before they announced their decision to fire their other coach. Morgan was rumored to have unofficially fired Hope after the Minnesota game. He was also rumored to have received a verbal agreement from the guy who left Northern Illinois for NC st. This leads me to believe IU may have at least contacted Brohm and made an inquiry, but his reply was probably I'm not interested. And both parties decided not to divulge any contacts ever being made.

I do agree an agreement was probably made with Allen long before the people at IU would ever admit he was being considered.

Since I don't really follow IU sports, I have to ask was the firing a surprise? Or had it been rumored long before it happened? I ask because there were rumors about Hope long before the official axe fell and he was fired. If the guy from Northern Illinois accepted would there have even been a selection committee formed?

I didn’t bother reading on to see if anyone corrected you but that is false.

He was offered by Minnesota and wanted to accept that job but due to a severe snow storm, he couldn’t get back to them. UCLA called and offered and he accepted the position.

I almost went to Northwestern.

I can believe Brohm's name came up as a possibility as part of IU discussions when he was a coach at WKU. I believe his name probably came up at a lot of places when he was at WKU. A lot of names came up at Purdue before we hired Brohm. Miles name came up but that doesn't mean he was almost hired.

Purdue made the right call, and Jeff Brohm should help the Boilers for years to come.

Fred Glass merely wanted to hire on a budget, and opted for Bill Lynch 2.0.

That's how I got banned from the Indiana Rivals forum; for telling it like it is.

Purdue made the right call, and Jeff Brohm should help the Boilers for years to come.

That's how I got banned from the Indiana Rivals forum; for telling it like it is.
That is what got me banned a few months ago too of telling it like it was. Welcome to the club!

You said it.That press conference Glass had when he announced Allens hiring was strange.Its always good to hear from a honest,realistic IU fan.

Would IU ever pay at the same level as their basketball coach? There are optics in Bloomington IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT