ADVERTISEMENT

Brees Coaching QBs

pulax78

Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
Plantation, FL
Rumor is this year is his last. Personally, I hope not. We know he's signed contract as an analyzer once he does stop playing. - I believe he could / should have a role with Purdue. Even if he was only able to be involved 1 or 2 days a week, in person is best but remote would help (breaking down our QB skills and tendencies, etc.) The impact on recruiting would be very positive. It would get the attention of a lot of QB recruits.

Rumor is this year is his last. Personally, I hope not. We know he's signed contract as an analyzer once he does stop playing. - I believe he could / should have a role with Purdue. Even if he was only able to be involved 1 or 2 days a week, in person is best but remote would help (breaking down our QB skills and tendencies, etc.) The impact on recruiting would be very positive. It would get the attention of a lot of QB recruits.
Good idea...but, not to be realized. Norm

Reactions: Purdue85
Even though he is signed for another year, I do think this is last year. I hope he is able to beat Brady again this weekend.

I also don’t see him having any type of role at Purdue, except supporter.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Even though he is signed for another year, I do think this is last year. I hope he is able to beat Brady again this weekend.

I also don’t see him having any type of role at Purdue, except supporter.
Agreed. Seems he’s pretty well rooted in NOLA.

Brohm would soon find out that Brees knew more and was more respected than Brohm is. Brohm would never hire his " successor ". It's to bad Brees for what ever reason will never call the plays for Purdue, it would be very interesting, however Harbaugh hasn't done so well at Michigan.
Well, we can still dream.

• Wow
Reactions: Purdue85
Brohm would soon find out that Brees knew more and was more respected than Brohm is. Brohm would never hire his " successor ". It's to bad Brees for what ever reason will never call the plays for Purdue, it would be very interesting, however Harbaugh hasn't done so well at Michigan.
Well, we can still dream.
I’ll pass on brees ever coaching at Purdue without prior experience

what’s up @Atlanta/Jim

And, while I understand that position...I would take Brees in any role he wished at Purdue in a heartbeat...a proven winner in literally every way.

I would welcome many former Boilers back if they were interested for that matter...more so when I see guys like Diaco that have a ton of experience, yet, are flat awful as coaches...coaching experience can be vastly overrated in some cases, and, there is no better example than him.

And, while I understand that position...I would take Brees in any role he wished at Purdue in a heartbeat...a proven winner in literally every way.

I would welcome many former Boilers back if they were interested for that matter...more so when I see guys like Diaco that have a ton of experience, yet, are flat awful as coaches...coaching experience can be vastly overrated in some cases, and, there is no better example than him.
It isn’t just coaching. It’s recruiting. Hiring someone without experience is a fools errand.

also, for all the shit diaco took, the linebackers were vastly improved this year. Look at the leap Alexander took. Scheme was an issue but diaco could coach his position.

I don't know... I find it hard to believe that Brees would be satisfied as just the QB coach. He'd probably need to be the OC. He would also need to recruit and while he would be an amazing rec

I wouldn’t. Here is why: 1) He is a winner.
2) He is smart. Honor roll GPA avg in Krannert Mgt. 3) Instant street cred for recruiting high caliber QB’s.
His chances of returning to Purdue are slim to none as he’d likely not want to leave the warm South. His wife being from Warsaw, IN might change that, yet I still doubt it highly. Who’d want 60-70 hrs per week in season when retired? He can do 20 + hrs happily and still see his family.

I wouldn’t. Here is why: 1) He is a winner.
2) He is smart. Honor roll GPA avg in Krannert Mgt. 3) Instant street cred for recruiting high caliber QB’s.
His chances of returning to Purdue are slim to none as he’d likely not want to leave the warm South. His wife being from Warsaw, IN might change that, yet I still doubt it highly. Who’d want 60-70 hrs per week in season when retired? He can do 20 + hrs happily and still see his family.
1)It is exceedingly rare that great players turn into great coaches. They don’t understand why lesser players can’t do what they did. See Ted Williams. Smart guy, hard working, terrible coach.
2) being smart and hard working isn’t enough.
3) Purdue is a tough place to win. It takes someone with an eye for talented coaches and players that get passed over elsewhere.

Reactions: DAG10
It isn’t just coaching. It’s recruiting. Hiring someone without experience is a fools errand.

also, for all the shit diaco took, the linebackers were vastly improved this year. Look at the leap Alexander took. Scheme was an issue but diaco could coach his position.
It could be, yet, not always the case...and, if there was ever anyone that I would take a chance on, he would be at the top of the list.

And, as long as we are disagreeing on things today, I don't share the same sentiment regarding Diaco...the LBs were not good at all...I guess the fact that they were not good the year before either makes it so that maybe you could argue that they were not as bad as the year before, but, even if it were true, it would only be by the slimmest of margins...it has as much to do probably with personnel at the position, as that is a HUGE issue, but, by no means was LB a position of strength for Purdue, and, it has not been since Bailey went down unfortunately.

Frankly...I don't think Diaco is good in any way, and, that he essentially stole money from Purdue (and others)...and, again, he was hired at Purdue based on his vast experience, only to find out just how bad he really was...I may be in the minority, but, I would have gladly taken Rosevelt Colvin as a LB coach, and, I would be flat out stunned if he was not a more capable LB coach than Diaco.

1)It is exceedingly rare that great players turn into great coaches. They don’t understand why lesser players can’t do what they did. See Ted Williams. Smart guy, hard working, terrible coach.
3) Purdue is a tough place to win. It takes someone with an eye for talented coaches and players that get passed over elsewhere.
I agree more with these points...with them, I am admittedly concerned about #3 at the moment.

I can agree to your points with exception of #3. $$$'s make up a lot of ground on coaches wanting to cut their teeth and get experience. Players that get passed over by ND and Ohio State are a dime a dozen. That happens everywhere and all the time. Who doesn't want to play for Bama, Clemson and tO$U football factories? A lot a quality players are left over in the mix. It takes a keen eye to find those diamonds in the rough. JT and staff of his first 5-7 years found a load of talent and in some cases, knew how to convert that talent to positions of strength for the team. Maybe one day, Brohm will figure that out.
Drew Brees is a smart, passionate winner. If he wanted to come to Purdue (which I highly doubt he ever would), I'd roll out the red carpet and make a QB positional coach in a heart beat. Wouldn't think twice. My answer to him would be Hell Yeah, when can your start? So we differ a bit...no big deal since they are just opinions.
Speaking of opinions, there has to be coach in the waiting right now. What is taking so long on the announcement? Contract details?

Last edited:
I don't know... I find it hard to believe that Brees would be satisfied as just the QB coach. He'd probably need to be the OC. He would also need to recruit and while he would be an amazing rec

yeah because you’re not a stooge. This is the kind of topic started by someone who sniffs his socks after work and then does “now what?”

Would be awkward for the administration to fire a guy who has donated millions of dollars to the school if it turned out he wasn’t a good coach...
Not happening.

Pat Fitzgerald was a great player and is a great coach.

Didn’t he already sign a tv commentator contract to start whenever he decides to retire? Also he loves New Orleans and the people there love him. And his kids only know Louisiana as home and he loves coaching them. I’d love to have him more at Purdue but I don’t see coaching being the way, at least not in the next 5-10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT