ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman OV

Beef was saying what Rabjohns said. Since Rabjohns lives in Bloomington, Rabjohns said "he isn't coming". The troll police have lost their minds.
I wasn't trying to police. Was trying to say how it sounded to the other poster. I don't really care either way. All the "troll" stuff goes way overboard around here.

I use troll all the time? Are you kidding me? A troll is someone who posts with the intention of getting under someone's skin. I don't think @BoilerAndy is ignorant enough to actually believe @ChoiceBeef is an IU guy. That means Andy's post was strictly a post trying to discredit a Purdue fan with a different opinion (troll post).

You are better than this.
Nope. Not trying to get under anyone's skin.

When a poster repeatedly disrespects Purdue and defends IU, then states that a player "isn't coming here" when he's referring to a player not visiting IU, you have to wonder. You continue to bring up Rabjohns in his defense. He never mentioned Rabjohns. So somehow my pointing out his "slip" got under your skin. Why?

Reactions: BBG

When a poster repeatedly disrespects Purdue and defends IU, then states that a player "isn't coming here" when he's referring to a player not visiting IU, you have to wonder. You continue to bring up Rabjohns in his defense. He never mentioned Rabjohns. So somehow my pointing out his "slip" got under your skin. Why?
How has Beef disrespected Purdue? He is literally Purdue positive 99% of the time. I hope you are enjoying this tailgate as much as I am. Boiler Up!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Maybe you should learn to read since I mentioned Rabjohns from the beginning.

You keep telling yourself you are right and eventually it might be true.

Rabjohns supposedly confirmed it and I have seen other people on Twitter saying he isn’t coming.

Reactions: bled1720
Yep. Rabjohns is also an IU fan. Thanks for the repeated confirmation. We get it.

Not sure Rabby is actually an "IU fan". He works for an IU site, but I never saw him as an IU fan when he worked for the Star. I think he takes his role as a professional sports journalist pretty seriously. I know he maintains relationships/ friendships with some players he covers, including ones who don't attend IU...

From his Premium thread discussing Franklin's decision process...

"Sep 7, 8:17 AMVIP

By the way, I can say, Armaan Franklin has nothing bad to say about Purdue, their coaches or players. He and Isaiah Thompson, Zionsville point guard and Purdue commit, are very close friends. This was hard on those guys. They are high school kids, and this was not easy lifting for Franklin.

Franklin felt IU was his choice. And he felt it was quite clear.

Sitting in the reporter chair, I see no reason to say anything bad about Purdue. Yes, I understand fans will celebrate a head-to-head recruiting win, and very understandably so. ... Recruiting wins lead to real wins.

I'm not going to sit here and rip on another school. I just don't think that is professional. How other people behave, that is their choice."

How has Beef disrespected Purdue? He is literally Purdue positive 99% of the time. I hope you are enjoying this tailgate as much as I am. Boiler Up!
If I was tailgating today I wouldn't be posting. I would be working on my sunburn. I hate it when I peel unevenly.

Not sure Rabby is actually an "IU fan". He works for an IU site, but I never saw him as an IU fan when he worked for the Star. I think he takes his role as a professional sports journalist pretty seriously. I know he maintains relationships/ friendships with some players he covers, including ones who don't attend IU...

From his Premium thread discussing Franklin's decision process...

"Sep 7, 8:17 AMVIP

By the way, I can say, Armaan Franklin has nothing bad to say about Purdue, their coaches or players. He and Isaiah Thompson, Zionsville point guard and Purdue commit, are very close friends. This was hard on those guys. They are high school kids, and this was not easy lifting for Franklin.

Franklin felt IU was his choice. And he felt it was quite clear.

Sitting in the reporter chair, I see no reason to say anything bad about Purdue. Yes, I understand fans will celebrate a head-to-head recruiting win, and very understandably so. ... Recruiting wins lead to real wins.

I'm not going to sit here and rip on another school. I just don't think that is professional. How other people behave, that is their choice."

Armaan Franklin made the correct choice for him, personally. Its not a foregone conclusion that he will never be an NBA player, but he obviously has a lot of work on that front(like most players). He made the choice that, I believe, will allow him more playing time early thus allowing him to develop more organicallt through playing time.

Make no mistake about it though, I do not hold his random recruiting rank against him. He is an extremely intriguing prospect. I think he is going to be a very, VERY good player at some point in his college career. It would be silly of you, or any other IU fan, to discount his recruiting rank. His recruiting rank does not dismiss his ability to get i to the lane at 6'4 and finish. If he develops his ability to both shoot spot up 3s and off the dribble, he is going to be every bit as good as the players sites supposedly rank above him.

I genuinely do not believe he is any different a prospect as Brandon Newman from a potential standpoint. I am very high on his potential, I just wish he would not have chose Indiana forcing me to root against him at times be default.

tenor.gif

Will this finally be the tipping point to get him to commit?? IU and X both got their combo guards. OhSt supposedly waiting on Liddell first.. we’ll have to see
Isn't Liddell a PF? Why would that factor into taking Newman or not?

Maybe you should learn to read since I mentioned Rabjohns from the beginning.

You keep telling yourself you are right and eventually it might be true.

I don't know Beef, never met him. But he's correct. I know how to read and I understood everything that was posted. Wasn't too difficult for me.......but guys.....move along.

Last edited:
I read somewhere they are holding out for him, probably due to scholarship availability. Never fact-checked it though.
I thought it might be scholarship availability. I wouldn't be surprised to see an oversign given the new staff and roster attrition in today's college basketball. Hope he comes here regardless though!

Brandon Newman said the Purdue offer was HUGE when he got it. Said its one hes always wanted.

-Indiana accepted Franklin as a commit and essentially stopped recruiting Newman altogether.
-Xavier just accepted a commit from a guy in the exact same class at the exact same position as Newman.

And Newman still hasnt committed. Makes me wonder what is going on. Is there something there making him pause?

It does seem like playing time will be hard to come by the first few years with all the talent on Purdues roster.

IT
Hunter
Sasha
Nojel
Gillis
Boudreax
Wheeler

Thats a guy or two at every single position. Think its basically impossible for Newman to start at Purdue as a freshman or sophomore. I wonder if thats what has kept him from committing.

Brandon Newman said the Purdue offer was HUGE when he got it. Said its one hes always wanted.

-Indiana accepted Franklin as a commit and essentially stopped recruiting Newman altogether.
-Xavier just accepted a commit from a guy in the exact same class at the exact same position as Newman.

And Newman still hasnt committed. Makes me wonder what is going on. Is there something there making him pause?

It does seem like playing time will be hard to come by the first few years with all the talent on Purdues roster.

IT
Hunter
Sasha
Nojel
Gillis
Boudreax
Wheeler

Thats a guy or two at every single position. Think its basically impossible for Newman to start at Purdue as a freshman or sophomore. I wonder if thats what has kept him from committing.

He certainly isn’t going to start at Ohio State so I don’t think early PT is going to be an immediate factor. Unless he doesn’t think he can beat out Sasha not sure why he doesn’t think he’ll get PT as a freshman? Eastern and IT will exclusively play the 1. Hunter will be the starting 2 guard. Painter has the option of playing a third guard in some lineups or a more traditional SF. As a freshman I see 15-18 mpg for Newman. Think he’ll be on the floor a lot with Eastern and Hunter in a three guard lineup.

IT
Hunter
Sasha
Nojel
Gillis
Boudreax
Wheeler

You make an interesting point.

I believe he gets more minutes as a freshman than IT. No knock on IT but Newman has him by 5/6 inches.

I say Newman will play all 4 years. Might not start as a freshman, but will play significant minutes. I see him playing the kind of minutes Nojel got last year. Often in at critical times.

I say Newman will play all 4 years. Might not start as a freshman, but will play significant minutes. I see him playing the kind of minutes Nojel got last year. Often in at critical times.
Ideal world he stays 4 years. My gut says the kid is special and will be a 2-3 year tops before he jumps. His size and build make him an ideal candidate for the NBA.

Reactions: mathboy
Well he is supposedly the same size as Franklin and IU folks are saying he is 6’5

I’d say Franklin is a legit 6’4 but he’s a lot longer than Newman and bigger. Newman is probably closer to 6’3 than he is 6’4. IT is just about 6 foot. Semantics really but physically Newman is a lot further along than IT.

Nojels freshman minutes seem like his absolute ceiling. Not sure what does well enough to justify playing a lot as a frosh, unless he just really surprises.

Nojel Eastern and Aaron Wheeler being so big and versatile really hurts his chances at early PT.

Nojels freshman minutes seem like his absolute ceiling. Not sure what does well enough to justify playing a lot as a frosh, unless he just really surprises.

Nojel Eastern and Aaron Wheeler being so big and versatile really hurts his chances at early PT.

?

1. He’s a very good three point shooter
2. Has more than adequate ball handling skills that will allow him to play multiple positions in Painter’s motion offense
3. Versatile enough to guard multiple positions on the floor (something that can’t be said for IT)

Eastern didn’t get a lot of playing time last year because he turned the ball over too much and wasn’t a threat to score outside 5 feet. He proved to be a stout defender by the end of the year and that allowed him to see more minutes in certain scenarios.

IT
Hunter
Sasha
Nojel
Gillis
Boudreax
Wheeler

There's plenty of playing time available. None of those guys are proven college players and five of them haven't even played in a college game that's counted. If you're going to go to a solid program like Newman is, there's always going to be competition. But Purdue's roster looks incredibly favorable for an incoming four-star shooting guard/small forward like Newman. He could easily start in a lineup like Nojel, Hunter, Newman, Hall (Boudreaux), Haarms. Whether that's as a freshman or sophomore, who knows, but he'd have a great chance to start as an underclassman.

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder

IT
Hunter
Sasha
Nojel
Gillis
Boudreax
Wheeler

I see a much bigger window for playing time early for Newman, especially if Carsen leaves. I think the opportunity is there to compete for starting minutes at the 2 and maybe the 3, and I bet the staff is selling him on this.

Nojel/IT
Hunter/Newman?/Sasha
Wheeler/Newman?/Hall?/Gillis
Boudreaux/Hall?/Wheeler/Gillis
Haarms/Dow/Williams

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
There's plenty of playing time available. None of those guys are proven college players and five of them haven't even played in a college game that's counted. If you're going to go to a solid program like Newman is, there's always going to be competition. But Purdue's roster looks incredibly favorable for an incoming four-star shooting guard/small forward like Newman. He could easily start in a lineup like Nojel, Hunter, Newman, Hall (Boudreaux), Haarms. Whether that's as a freshman or sophomore, who knows, but he'd have a great chance to start as an underclassman.

100% with you. Assuming he commits I believe you’ll see heavy dosage of a 3 guard lineup with Eastern, Hunter, and Newman. Even if Hall commits and Purdue goes to a more a traditional lineup with him at the 3, Newman will still be the first guard off the bench.

?

1. He’s a very good three point shooter
2. Has more than adequate ball handling skills that will allow him to play multiple positions in Painter’s motion offense
3. Versatile enough to guard multiple positions on the floor (something that can’t be said for IT)

Eastern didn’t get a lot of playing time last year because he turned the ball over too much and wasn’t a threat to score outside 5 feet. He proved to be a stout defender by the end of the year and that allowed him to see more minutes in certain scenarios.
Last year has come and gone. Not the same player

I mean we will see. Its certainly possible Im wrong, just message board speculation is all.

I do not see the same path to early playing time as everyone else. I wonder where it would come.

Yeah you could be correct - but I think him starting as a true freshman over Sasha, who will be a redshirt sophomore at that point, is a tough thing to get behind.

With the way Painter develops guys on the defensive end, it seems like Sasha is likely to reach a level that is a very hard level for true freshman to reach.

Also, I am extremely high on IT. His skillset as a combo guard who can be a true point is something I see as unique to this roster. Im not sure anyone is more suited to be a distributor than IT, and I think Painter will value that, much like he valued PJ Thompsons ability to not turn the ball over and shoot the 3.

Yeah you could be correct - but I think him starting as a true freshman over Sasha, who will be a redshirt sophomore at that point, is a tough thing to get behind.

With the way Painter develops guys on the defensive end, it seems like Sasha is likely to reach a level that is a very hard level for true freshman to reach.

Also, I am extremely high on IT. His skillset as a combo guard who can be a true point is something I see as unique to this roster. Im not sure anyone is more suited to be a distributor than IT, and I think Painter will value that, much like he valued PJ Thompsons ability to not turn the ball over and shoot the 3.

I think the only the only immediate upperhand Sasha will have over Newman is experience in Painter's system. I don't see Sasha playing that many minutes this year unless Hunter isn't as good as we think he's going to be, so any advantage Sasha may have won't be much. I think with a summer in a college weight room and adequately adjusting to the new speed of college basketball, Newman should be fine with in a contributing role as a freshman.

Reactions: nagemj02
I think you might be selling Sasha short. He has the size, is a lot more athletic than what was expected and can shoot lights out in transition (appears to have some issues spotting up). I think Sasha still has a lot of upside and once he figures out the defensive side he will be a valuable pice to this team.

I think you might be selling Sasha short. He has the size, is a lot more athletic than what was expected and can shoot lights out in transition (appears to have some issues spotting up). I think Sasha still has a lot of upside and once he figures out the defensive side he will be a valuable pice to this team.

Probably to a degree and admittedly that's because I've only seen him play a couple games. Does have good size and deceptively decent athleticism (compared to Cline and Dakota) but I just think he lacks the overall skill set to be effective in Painter's motion offense. My kid brother helped coach in the AAU program Sasha was in ( EG10 same team as Romeo and where Brantley came from). He fits the AAU, Run N Gun style well. Painter definitely pushes tempo more than he gets credit for but to be a good guard in his offense you need to be a very good set shooter (PJ, Dakota, Cline, etc). It's a reason why someone like Kendall Stephens didn't really work out at Purdue and then found great success playing at Nevada in an NBA system that really got out in transition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT