ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman and company => Building a Blue Blood

Apr 12, 2012
St. Louis
www.actionflow.net
I love these freshman.

I think Brandon Newman had three separate blocks today where he hustled hard to shut down the shot. And they all seem like great kids who want to work hard and build a team. The list of things I like goes on and on - even down to the joy in Evan Morton's face when they show him on the sidelines. He's not getting a ton of minutes right now, but he looks like he's loving it.

I believe the next few years will produce Painter's best teams ever.

All the blue blood schools had a great coach who stayed there a long time and built a dynasty - going back to Phog Allen at Kansas, Adolph Rupp at Kentucky, Knight at Indiana (blue blood status slipping fast), Wooden at UCLA, Smith at North Carolina, Krzyzewski at Duke (I don't remember who was before him), Izzo at Michigan State.

I think Painter is building the same thing. I may be crazy, but I think 20 years from now, Purdue might be mentioned in the same breath as Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and the like. And also at that time, it might include Villanova (if not already there) and maybe even Texas Tech, depending on whether Beard stays or not.

Last edited:
I love these freshman.

I think Brandon Newman had three separate blocks today where he hustled hard to shut down the shot. And they all seem like great kids who want to work hard and build a team. The list of things I like goes on and on - even down to the joy in Evan Morton's face when they show him on the sidelines. He's not getting a ton of minutes right now, but he looks like he's loving it.

All the blue blood schools had a great coach who stayed there a long time and built a dynasty - going back to Phog Allen at Kansas, Adolph Rupp at Kentucky, Knight at Indiana (blue blood status slipping fast), Wooden at UCLA, Smith at North Carolina, Krzyzewski at Duke (I don't remember who was before him), Izzo at Michigan State.

I think Painter is building the same thing. I may be crazy, but I think 20 years from now, Purdue might be mentioned in the same breath as Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and the like. And also at that time, it might include Villanova (if not already there) and maybe even Texas Tech, depending on whether Beard stays or not.

Love the team that’s being built. We probably need a few top 10/20 recruits overall to really bolster what you’re thinking about here. I definitely think recruiting trends are moving us higher. How high? If like to see the Washington kid and another top tier guy a year or two later to really get us up there.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I love these freshman.

Totally agree about the freshman and the incoming class. I hope you are correct about the rest.

Reactions: GregJM24
There are four true blue bloods in college basketball—Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky. We are not joining their ranks anytime soon.

But Painter can definitely accomplish what Izzo has at MSU, what Boeheim has at Syracuse, what Lute Olsen did at Arizona. With a stretch goal of Villnova under Wright or UCONN under Calhoun. But let's make a Final Four first.

Hell, let's win the game at Ohio State first. Lose that one and people here will start bitching about being on the bubble.

Not disagreeing but what makes you blue blood? UCLA has 11 titles, while the next closest is Kentucky with 8. Kansas only has three. All these teams are in the top winningest schools.

As far as regional significance, Purdue is up there. Purdue has won lots of Big10 titles. I think Purdue checks a lot of regional and regular season boxes.

Nationally, we haven’t been to many Final Fours or beyond. It st least lately. To be a “blue blood” or at least be mentioned as a top 10 program we’d need to win a title and go to a few final fours.

I’d say we can do everything Virginia has done. We need some of our incoming recruits to really pan out in a big way.

Not disagreeing but what makes you blue blood? UCLA has 11 titles, while the next closest is Kentucky with 8. Kansas only has three. All these teams are in the top winningest schools.

Blue bloods never disappear. They may have a bad couple of years every once in awhile, but they never have a down decade. UCLA has disappeared twice. They fell off a cliff in the 80s, and since their last F4 in 2008, they've only won one Pac-12 title and have missed the tournament about half the time.

Blue bloods never disappear. They may have a bad couple of years every once in awhile, but they never have a down decade. UCLA has disappeared twice. They fell off a cliff in the 80s, and since their last F4 in 2008, they've only won one Pac-12 title and have missed the tournament about half the time.
The one and dones really help equalize things. College football having kids have to stay 3 years is why Bama rolls every year.

Reactions: boilerHup
The transfer rules are undoing the equalization. I’m not sure there’s a single potential “Cinderella” team out there this year.

You can't identify Cinderellas ahead of time; by definition they come out of nowhere.

This is the biggest down year for traditional college powers in a long time. Kentucky is missing the NCAA Tournament, UNC and Duke are on the bubble, and the two most dominant teams are Gonzaga and Baylor, with Iowa favored to win the Big Ten. If I had told you that five years ago, you'd be impressed by the unprecedented level of parity on college basketball.

As far as regional significance, Purdue is up there. Purdue has won lots of Big10 titles. I think Purdue checks a lot of regional and regular season boxes.

Nationally, we haven’t been to many Final Fours or beyond. It st least lately. To be a “blue blood” or at least be mentioned as a top 10 program we’d need to win a title and go to a few final fours.

I’d say we can do everything Virginia has done. We need some of our incoming recruits to really pan out in a big way.
We also need to turn the tide on bad luck. We could have won in 94, but Glenn horses around wrestling with his teammates the night before the Duke game and hurts his back. He turns in his worst game of his Purdue career agains Duke.

We were ranked #3 in the country and playing better than anyone and Hummel tears his ACL at Minnesota. We looked like a FF team that year. We might have made a run at the FF about 4 years ago, but Haas gets thrown down and hurts his elbow and is out for the Sweet Sixteen and the rest of the tournament. Smith hits those 2 FTs in the last few seconds or we grab the missed FT by Virginia and we go to the FF in the Virginia game.

You can't identify Cinderellas ahead of time; by definition they come out of nowhere.

Of course you can. What you mean is people who don’t watch mid-majors can’t identify the potential Cinderella teams. I’ve watched and I’m not sure there’s one out there.

Maybe Winthrop. Maybe Bowling Green. Maybe Drake or Belmont. Not many though.

Last edited:
We also need to turn the tide on bad luck. We could have won in 94, but Glenn horses around wrestling with his teammates the night before the Duke game and hurts his back. He turns in his worst game of his Purdue career agains Duke.

We were ranked #3 in the country and playing better than anyone and Hummel tears his ACL at Minnesota. We looked like a FF team that year. We might have made a run at the FF about 4 years ago, but Haas gets thrown down and hurts his elbow and is out for the Sweet Sixteen and the rest of the tournament. Smith hits those 2 FTs in the last few seconds or we grab the missed FT by Virginia and we go to the FF in the Virginia game.

Cline? Not Smith

UNC had an 18-year program of institutional academic fraud, so drop them. Kentuck also has a disgraceful history of cheating. Drop them too.

They’ve also won 11 National Championships......? They are more of a blue blood than IU is.

I agree. For example, if BYU makes a run in the tourney this year, people will point to Haarms as being a key reason. There will almost always be a team that is overlooked or just peaks at tourney time and is a bad match-up for a higher seed, for whatever reason

Newman is definitely better than I expected at this stage. He has all the tools to be a star in the Big Ten in a few years.

I thought Ivey would be the best freshman and the potential is there, but I feel like he hasn’t really adjusted to the college game yet. I have to figure that he is capable of shooting a lot better than what we’ve seen in games so far. If he starts hitting from three, he has a chance to be a terrific guard.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Newman is definitely better than I expected at this stage. He has all the tools to be a star in the Big Ten in a few years.

I thought Ivey would be the best freshman and the potential is there, but I feel like he hasn’t really adjusted to the college game yet. I have to figure that he is capable of shooting a lot better than what we’ve seen in games so far. If he starts hitting from three, he has a chance to be a terrific guard.
Newman redshirted and it obviously helped him immensely. We can’t or shouldn’t RS Ivey as he gives us some positive attributes other guards don’t right now - driving/slashing to basket for one.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Ivey missed games due to leg injury. He looks good, but wait 'til he gets healthy.

Reactions: punaj
With the covid rule everyone is redshirting this year.
This isn’t quite true. Everyone has the ability to get an extra year of eligibility if they choose and the school has room for them. Officially, these are not redshirts per se. If you RS (in a normal season) you wouldn’t be able to play after a few number of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT