ADVERTISEMENT

Bracket Reveal

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Coming up next on CBS before the Kentucky-Tennessee game. Most experts still have Purdue as a 1 seed, with obviously Alabama and Houston, and then Kansas. Shows what kind of cushion we had, along with the fact that the metrics are still strong. The rest of the Pac 12 sucking so bad hurts Arizona and UCLA. I think 5 more wins keeps us on the 1-line.

And if that's the case, the interesting thing is the location. Columbus is obvious for the 1st 2 rounds. Then the regionals are Louisville, New York City, Kansas City, and Las Vegas.

I think a #1 seed for Purdue at this point is correct...and agree that remaining a #1 seed after losing 3 out of 4 games speaks to the cushion that we had.

Reactions: purduedavie
Some had the Boilers dropping out of the tourney it seemed lol. Look, everyone is losing, Boilers probably can drop 1 more in the regular season and 1 in say the Big Ten championship and still garner a 1 seed, teams are going to lose.

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The biggest complaint from the reveal so far seems to be Indiana's placement. UConn or Miami might deserve it more, and they shouldn't be as high as 13 anyway. But you have to remember who the committee chair is...

Some had the Boilers dropping out of the tourney it seemed lol. Look, everyone is losing, Boilers probably can drop 1 more in the regular season and 1 in say the Big Ten championship and still garner a 1 seed, teams are going to lose.
It also seems the regular season is more important. Last year the conference tournaments didn’t matter according to the committee. So if that’s really the case I don’t like playing the conference tournament at all.

The biggest complaint from the reveal so far seems to be Indiana's placement. UConn or Miami might deserve it more, and they shouldn't be as high as 13 anyway. But you have to remember who the committee chair is...
UConn is 5-6 against Q1, 3-1 against Q2, with a Q3 loss. Miami is 6-4 against Q1 and 3-0 against Q2. Also have a Q3 loss. Indiana is 6-7 against Q1, 3-1 against Q2 and no losses outside of that.

It also seems the regular season is more important. Last year the conference tournaments didn’t matter according to the committee. So if that’s really the case I don’t like playing the conference tournament at all.

I think that’s been the case for a while. Maybe if you are not already in it matters if you can pull it out to get a bid. Or if you’re a bubble team and need a signature win. But for seeding i dont think it makes a difference

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I think that’s been the case for a while. Maybe if you are not already in it matters if you can pull it out to get a bid. Or if you’re a bubble team and need a signature win. But for seeding i dont think it makes a difference
IU was a case to be debated. Supposedly they were in before the B1G tournament. Also the B1G is the last tournament to finish I believe.

I doubt Purdue had that much of a cushion left. I do think it's good the team is facing adversity now. They're taking everyone's hardest punch, and 3 of the last 4 have been on the road.

But, it's time to right the ship. Finish strong and regain some confidence.

UConn is 5-6 against Q1, 3-1 against Q2, with a Q3 loss. Miami is 6-4 against Q1 and 3-0 against Q2. Also have a Q3 loss. Indiana is 6-7 against Q1, 3-1 against Q2 and no losses outside of that.
I think I like Miami the best of the 3, but they're close. I'm not sure Gonzaga deserves to be on the 4-line either.

Yeah I would love to see a “load management” strategy from Painter in the BTT. Win Friday, lose Saturday. No need to play 3 games in 3 days for no seeding gain.

I think I like Miami the best of the 3, but they're close. I'm not sure Gonzaga deserves to be on the 4-line either.
Gonzaga is 22-5, thumped Alabama @ Alabama, Kentucky, beat Michigan St. , Xavier, lost to Baylor @ Baylor by one. Most of the computer rankings have them in the top 10. Purdue did beat them by double digits!

Yeah I would love to see a “load management” strategy from Painter in the BTT. Win Friday, lose Saturday. No need to play 3 games in 3 days for no seeding gain.

I hate having a loser's mentality, but in our case- I think you are right. Let's face it... we need this team 100% healthy for NCAAT too. I'm in a weird spot right now where I have eternal optimism for the regular season where we reset things and win out but yet still cynical about BTT because it doesn't do much of anything for us at that point... and if we have an injury (especially to a certain giant of the Earth) during it then I will really think we are cursed and will be compelled to drive down to Mexico to experiment with hallucinogens.

It's all just a money grab. No one cares who wins the B1G tourney. People remember who win the regular season title.

I actually still fondly recall when the Boilers did it back in 08-09 season against OSU. It was a lot of fun. Not to say you are wrong about it being a money grab though. I do like it for teams where you can improve your seeding, even though you have to pretty much get to the championship game for that to happen. I also like it for the no-chance-at-an-at-large-bid BIG team to get in tourney even though I don't think has ever happened? I assume adding UCLA and USC makes this even more unlikely to happen if # of automatic double-bye teams doesn't change.

Shaka rematch in the sweet sixteen!!

What we need is more 5 stars, to quit playing through the post so much, stop recruiting 7 footers (Carsen, Ivey and Smith say whaddup yo)

Also need more black guys on the team. Also about dang time to take a good look at Shaka as our next coach (tic in case anyone couldnt tell)

Subscribe and follow for more National Championship advice

• Haha
Reactions: rgarlitz
I hate having a loser's mentality, but in our case- I think you are right. Let's face it... we need this team 100% healthy for NCAAT too. I'm in a weird spot right now where I have eternal optimism for the regular season where we reset things and win out but yet still cynical about BTT because it doesn't do much of anything for us at that point... and if we have an injury (especially to a certain giant of the Earth) during it then I will really think we are cursed and will be compelled to drive down to Mexico to experiment with hallucinogens.
Should experiment with hallucinogens either way. Will change your life.

Welcome over here. I note that you are being treated far more politely here than you treat people on your own board. You might want to think about that.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't see it happening. If Purdue is in it, they'll be in it to win it. I just don't think you can tell a group of elite competitors not to do everything they possibly can not to win the next game. Same for Painter. Moreover, this recent slump has taken a lot of the mystique out of Purdue. A strong stretch run and a dominant performance in the B1G Tournament might give Purdue just a little more psychological edge going into the NCAA.

Reactions: DrEss
What we need is more 5 stars, to quit playing through the post so much, stop recruiting 7 footers (Carsen, Ivey and Smith say whaddup yo)

Also need more black guys on the team. Also about dang time to take a good look at Shaka as our next coach (tic in case anyone couldnt tell)

Subscribe and follow for more National Championship advice
I have been saying something similar for YEARS. All those mid-majors that have athletic guards that beat us in the tournament. Why doesn't CMP recruit the mid-major athletic guards that the Mid-majors recruit??? I am sure they would rather play for a power-5 Conference team in a basketball state, right? Not Saint this, or western/eastern that.................

I have been saying something similar for YEARS. All those mid-majors that have athletic guards that beat us in the tournament. Why doesn't CMP recruit the mid-major athletic guards that the Mid-majors recruit??? I am sure they would rather play for a power-5 Conference team in a basketball state, right? Not Saint this, or western/eastern that.................
Those guys are often good enough to pull off an upset. Somebody does it every year. Are they good enough to play A 20-game B1G schedule and get the team into the NCAA Tournament?

I mean, there's a reason Painter recruits the guys he recruits.

Reactions: Inspector100
I get where you're coming from, but I don't see it happening. If Purdue is in it, they'll be in it to win it. I just don't think you can tell a group of elite competitors not to do everything they possibly can not to win the next game. Same for Painter. Moreover, this recent slump has taken a lot of the mystique out of Purdue. A strong stretch run and a dominant performance in the B1G Tournament might give Purdue just a little more psychological edge going into the NCAA.
I agree you can't (and shouldn't) turn off the competitive fire. Maybe we'll keep that competitive fire in the BTT, but just limit Smith and Edey to 25 minutes. Good additional minutes for Newman, Jenkins, and TKR. And we are certainly capable of still winning this way.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Those guys are often good enough to pull off an upset. Somebody does it every year. Are they good enough to play A 20-game B1G schedule and get the team into the NCAA Tournament?

I mean, there's a reason Painter recruits the guys he recruits.
"I mean, there's a reason Painter recruits the guys he recruits."
Is it grades that keep the mid-major athletic guards away from Purdue? Is it the motion offense that keeps the mid-major athletic guards away from Purdue? Does Purdue have "higher academic standards" that keep mid-major athletic guards away from Purdue? I really dont know, and I would love to know the reason why.

What I am asking is, why do you see so many of them @ mid-majors, not power-5 teams?

Put most of them and their teams in a power 5 conference for the whole season and you will get Minnesota. Most of them wouldn't even make the tournament if they were in a power conference. There are exceptions and those are the ones that make their magical run in the dance and get attention for 2 weeks. Where are they the next year?? Where is St Peter's this year?? 10-14 and a miracle needed to sniff the tournament. You are acting like there is some "mid-major pipeline" that CMP isn't recruiting, when in reality they are the unicorn of college hoops.

Reactions: PurdueDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT