ADVERTISEMENT

Bonefish , Shaka's available for interviews now

Purdue had older more physically mature bodies last year. Were they ran into the ground? What about other years...what did Matt do then between season and tourney. Matt's team in the season does well. Matt's team in the tourney does not. What changes for the guy that many think doesn't change or is too stubborn to change...knowing there are different teams at play? Focusing on any specific issues this year does not answer the bigger question. I could do specifics in other years as well, but it comes back to season versus tourney over years and so individual things people can point towards may be very true for a single game. the initial thought was based upon a visual interpretation was "wound tight". I agree with that visual. The standard answer is stress due to not being prepared for the situation at hand or stage fright and so forth. Players say Matt keeps them loose. Did Purdue have stage fright playing a team many thought Purdue would beat by 20+ and does Purdue have stage fright other years? Do coaches think that?

My point wasn't about the NCAAT.

My point was we needed more from the off season than what we got. Showed in our guards in late Jan & February.

Hope they are more aggressive this off season.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
I don’t know if I would go quite that far, but there is definitely some truth to that.

Playing a 20 game B1G meat grinder season, then playing 3 games in 3 days, all out, to win a meaningless (to me) conference tournament, definitely drained our guys, both physically and mentally.

I had mentioned the idea of resting our top players in the opening round of the B1G tournament, and taking the rest of the weekend off. Maybe an idea for next year. So we lose the 1 seed…. who cares ?
You're assuming that they would have been able to turn it back on without the tuning of a tournament environment.

I am curious, too, how they look so different in the Cheez Its tournament last year and the PKI this year, compared to the NCAA tournament. From what I remember, it felt like Purdue played a much more wide open, free flowing style in those early season games. There was more slashing to the basket and crisper passing. Guys hitting open outside jumpers more regularly. Felt like that with Gillis especially last year too, toward the end of the season he could not buy a 3 pointer but had hit pretty well during the early season. Maybe they do just wear down. The slog of the B1G schedule and getting beat up night in night out may take its toll. Maybe it’s that other teams aren’t as gelled yet and are still working through finding the right formula and Painter is better at getting his teams cohesive prior to the season but then everybody catches up throughout the year. There’s little doubt in my mind that last year had they not been beat by St Peter’s they would have lost to the UNC team they had beat in November/December whenever it was. Similar this year, had the brackets gone more to chalk I have little confidence they beat Duke or Marquette despite proving they could earlier in the season Honestly, Tennessee probably beats them if they made it. I don’t know what the answer is, but I do think if you watch any of the PKI games compared to the FDU game you would do a double take that it was the same Purdue team. They played West Virginia, a very press heavy team, and yet they seemed to do okay. Maybe it’s recency bias but it doesn’t seem like they struggled to break presses in that game as much as more recently. It is confounding. Reminiscent of George Steinbrenner saying that Reggie Jackson was Mr October but Dave Winfield was Mr May. It seems the other power conference teams are Mr March while Purdue is Mr November to January.

Edit: looked up the box score for WVU game and while Purdue had 18 turnovers in the game, Smith had 2, Jenkins 3, and Loyer 1 while Zach had a third of them with 6. Not really damning turnover numbers from the freshmen.
I think it is plausible to consider the possibility that Purdue is more advanced early in the year. Purdue early in the year worked a lot on press breaking and relative to the number of sets people reference, Matt couldn't have implemented all he wanted, but continued to add through the year. Also, two freshmen in the backcourt had no previous years background to reference since everything was new. Timing of playing well is crucial in any single elimination game. Were those teams so bad in where they were with their pressing that Purdue got a lot of easy baskets? Still some 3s were hit and those same people missed some 3s that were just as open a LOT all season.

"Coaching this time of year doesn’t necessarily translate to a play drawn on a clipboard or an inspirational locker room speech. It’s the quiet confidence that comes from knowing that you are playing in a program — and for a coach — that has been here before and pulled through." This can’t be said about Painter.

Spot on. Painter drawing up some crazy play on a clipboard with 0.6 seconds left down by 5 displays this clearly. He's a great basketball mind, sure, but he's seemingly enslaved to over-analysis and logic. He doesn't have the intangible, unspoken factor and presence.
@Gman544 You agree with each other and yet the answers are a bit different. Again, I'm trying to stay away from player effects or this "thing" about not changing which I can assure there are changes every game...just too subtle for many to see since we were not privy to the game plan to know what to look for and to then recognize who did or didn't do it and whether that change made it worse or not? Still, you stated something I previously hinted at above that I "also" know can create a "wound tight" appearance, but not be the result of pressure. I tried a quick search to see if I could find my post about a quote a poster made in which he thought was a Pete Newell quote and I can't. That said I lean right or wrong to the "possible condition" of overload or the over-analysis since I KNOW that can be in play as well...particularly if a lot of new type things and so I lean to what you stated, but that is a guess on my part as well...although I can understand that one. I believe this has something to do with Brandon being the athlete he is and the potential he never gets close. It "may" be part of the autopass mode we see or turning his head as the ball is arriving knowing what to do next. I'm not different than anyone else...guessing... ;)

Or it could be that he has awful handles. Everyone sees his size and athleticism. He even has a good first step. But once he gets by, the ball doesn’t follow.

You're assuming that they would have been able to turn it back on without the tuning of a tournament environment.
Let the starters work up a sweat in the Friday game, then let the bench take over for most of the 2nd half?

No one will convince me that the 23 game bar fight didn’t take something out of this team. And the other B1G teams.

If we're talking sample sizes, a single elimination tournament is the worst possible way to judge a team or coach; which is why we love it.
Rollie Massimino and Kevin Ollie both have championships, beating Dean Smith and John Calipari on the way.
Bruce Weber has a NC appearance and two Elite Eights.
Do you think they're objectively better coaches?
I think any FF coach is better than Painter in the tourney. It literally can’t be argued any other way.

Didn’t say that. I want someone other than Painter.
Do you believe Painter will win a NC at Purdue?
You said:
“I think any FF coach is better than Painter in the tourney. It literally can’t be argued any other way.”

So you want to hire Davis or Clappy?

You said:
“I think any FF coach is better than Painter in the tourney. It literally can’t be argued any other way.”

So you want to hire Davis or Clappy?
At this point, I’ll take about anyone over Painter. Burn it down and start over with a new culture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT