ADVERTISEMENT

Bonefish , Shaka's available for interviews now

Couldn't even beat the team we beat twice. What a choke artist. /s.

Just a stat from the Reddit post game:
Shaka Smart's teams in the NCAA Tournament since the Final 4 run with VCU:
  • 6 round of 64 exits
  • 3 Round of 32 exits
  • 0 appearances in the 2nd weekend

Last edited:
Couldn't even beat the team we beat twice. What a choke artist.

Stat from the Reddit post game:
  • 6 round of 64 exits
  • 3 Round of 32 exits
Beat them in Painter time, January regular season. It’s March now, much harder out, it’s Izzo time.

• 6 round of 64 exits
  • 3 Round of 32 exits
I seem to recall VCU beating a certain team in that run. As a first four to final four team. Not quite the flex it seemed at first.

• 6 round of 64 exits
  • 3 Round of 32 exits

Yea not sure I understand the draw.
But was impressed by his B1G East conference win.

• 6 round of 64 exits
  • 3 Round of 32 exits
Isn't this just his 2nd year at Marquette? This isn't the flex you're thinking it is.

Seems like a small sample size to frame Painter with at 18 here.
He's had 8 seasons at Power 5 /high major schools, 6 of those at a school with one of the highest athletic budgets in the nation, not to mention in one of the most fertile recruiting regions. Don't know why that's not a large enough sample size for you.
Painter had 2 Sweet Sixteens and no first round exits in the same time frame at Purdue. And I'm not defending Painter.

He's had 8 seasons at Power 5 /high major schools, 6 of those at a school with one of the highest athletic budgets in the nation, not to mention in one of the most fertile recruiting regions. Don't know why that's not a large enough sample size for you.
Is 18 bigger than 8? It's around double plus 2. I'm not feeling like this is a great comparison.

Is 18 bigger than 8? It's around double plus 2. I'm not feeling like this is a great comparison.
I just made the comparison in my previous comment... Point is, there's nothing objective to suggest Shaka is suddenly become a competent coach, outside of one Cinderella run with a gimmicky defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
I just made the comparison in my previous comment... Point is, there's nothing objective to suggest Shaka is suddenly become a competent coach, outside of one Cinderella run with a gimmicky defense.
And wrecked Painters team on his way there. 1 Cinderella run is better than being known as the worst coach in tourney history.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
And wrecked Painters team on his way there. 1 Cinderella run is better than being known as the worst coach in tourney history.
If we're talking sample sizes, a single elimination tournament is the worst possible way to judge a team or coach; which is why we love it.
Rollie Massimino and Kevin Ollie both have championships, beating Dean Smith and John Calipari on the way.
Bruce Weber has a NC appearance and two Elite Eights.
Do you think they're objectively better coaches?

Last edited:
If we're talking sample sizes, a single elimination tournament is the worst possible way to judge a team or coach; which is why we love it.
Rollie Massimino and Kevin Ollie both have championships, beating Dean Smith and John Calipari on the way.
Bruce Weber has a NC appearance and two Elite Eights.
Do you think they're objectively better coaches?
Rollie yes.

Just to be clear, you would also high Shaka as a great improvement over what we now have?
Just to be clear, I'm not committing to any specific name. I'm just an alumni who wants those in charge to look elsewhere for a better coach than a guy who is so un-serious that a column is written about his great jokes and then once again flames out to a double digit seed. Only this time, it's in historical fashion! As in, may never be repeated EVER. I don't know how to fly planes, or maintain them, but if one crashes, I'm smart enough to know that something went wrong and someone messed up and someone needs held accountable. So, before you get all high and mighty and bow up, something is clearly wrong with this program and it's obvious even though I'm not in charge of picking a successor.

I'm just an alumni who wants those in charge to look elsewhere for a better coach than a guy who is so un-serious that a column is written about his great jokes and then once again flames out to a double digit seed.
Little Archie never lost to a double digit seed. You want to reach out to him?

Little Archie never lost to a double digit seed. You want to reach out to him?
Just to be clear, I'm not committing to any specific name. I'm just an alumni who wants those in charge to look elsewhere for a better coach than a guy who is so un-serious that a column is written about his great jokes and then once again flames out to a double digit seed. Only this time, it's in historical fashion! As in, may never be repeated EVER. I don't know how to fly planes, or maintain them, but if one crashes, I'm smart enough to know that something went wrong and someone messed up and someone needs held accountable. So, before you get all high and mighty and bow up, something is clearly wrong with this program and it's obvious even though I'm not in charge of picking a successor.

So….Little Archie never lost to a double digit seed. You want to reach out to him or nah?

You make some very good points. I don't know what it means to "get all high and mighty and bow up", so I'll ignore that comment.

I agree that something needs to change. But I have seen enough in life to not agree with the phrase that "anything would be better than what we have." Whether it's a lost basketball game or a plane crash, the wrong changes do not make things better.

I don't see Shaka being a huge improvement over what we have any more than if we hired Crean or Bruce Webber or Tubby Smith. All beat Purdue and had their 15 minutes of fame on the national stage. And I certainly don't see it being better for Purdue if we hired Rick Pitino or Kelvin Sampson.

It's possible that, by meeting the goal of change, you could put people in charge leading to even more plane crashes.

You make some very good points. I don't know what it means to "get all high and mighty and bow up", so I'll ignore that comment.

I agree that something needs to change. But I have seen enough in life to not agree with the phrase that "anything would be better than what we have." Whether it's a lost basketball game or a plane crash, the wrong changes do not make things better.

I don't see Shaka being a huge improvement over what we have any more than if we hired Crean or Bruce Webber or Tubby Smith. All beat Purdue and had their 15 minutes of fame on the national stage. And I certainly don't see it being better for Purdue if we hired Rick Pitino or Kelvin Sampson.

It's possible that, by meeting the goal of change, you could put people in charge leading to even more plane crashes.
Emotional Purdue fan: “FIRE PAINTER!!”

Rational Purdue grad: “OK. Then what?”

Emotional Purdue fan: “Idk that’s someone else’s problem.”

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT