ADVERTISEMENT

'BOILING OVER' (presented by JFQ Lending) -- Thursday, Aug. 26, 2021 (discussion)

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
dsivtrxv7zxdzlqrshuc

Check out our new sponsor for Knucklehead Central and 'BOILING OVER' JFQ Lending.

Contact Andrew Hogberg at 480-478-0257 or ahogberg@jfqlending.com or PM @TheMortReport

Welcome to this week's “BOILING OVER,” GoldandBlack.com’s weekly information-clearinghouse and analysis column meant for our site members and site members only. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation in helping us keep what is sometimes delicate or proprietary information confined to this message board. This feature allows us to be more flexible in our reporting, to our readers' benefit, and we lose that ability if we can't keep this feature secure and the value of our site's membership at its peak. Additionally, we address recruiting and hiring processes in-depth and often without filter in this feature and we do it behind a subscription-protected barrier for a reason, in hopes of avoiding situations where our reporting can impact the recruiting process, which can happen occasionally.

So again, we appreciate everyone's cooperation very much.We know there are a lot of aggregator blogs out there, and a lot of you are on Twitter and other message boards. We don’t want to come off like Darth Vader (before he turned good at the end of "Return of the Jedi" of course) here, but we would be doing all our subscribers a disservice if weren’t proactive about protecting the value of their membership.

qveyvzajn1vazcyhthlg

PURDUE BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Notable: Purdue is expected to get a junior-year official visit from Oklahoma 2023 guard/wing Parker Friedrichsen at the start of October.

He's supposed to be a big-time shooter, and he already has offers from OU, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Iowa and a bunch of others. Purdue offered this summer.

Purdue doesn't have many scholarships for 2023, but that could change in a hurry, and It's pretty clear that the Boilermaker coaching staff Is going to recruit for a much fuller class than the scholarship grid may suggest. Myles Colvin is already on board and a big man Is almost certainly going to be a priority in that class, also, in addition to the ongoing 2022 search for a Player To Be Named Later.

Stuff starts to happen again on the basketball recruiting front next weekend, when visits resume. Colvin and heralded forward Xavier Booker officially visit that weekend.

Reminder: Players get five junior-year official visits and five senior-year visits. Won't be long before that gets cut back, because it's playing out like overkill, but the junior visits have been really important to Purdue since their inception. (BN)

PURDUE FOOTBALL RECRUITING

Spoke on Friday night to West Lafayette's Mariere Omonode and figured we'd just put that here instead of the front page, to better be able to I guess explain things.

Omonode has a Purdue offer should he choose to accept it, kind of like the way coaches aren't officially "offered" jobs until they're ready to sign a contract, but he is a player Purdue wants. For Arkansas State, he is an absolute priority and Butch Jones has personally recruited him as such. Omonode is a bit of a different sort of personality, the type who wouldn't automatically jump at the biggest and best offer, as is obvious because In this case there is no comparison.

He's delayed a decision that was expected to come prior to the season that kicked off this past weekend and now is talking about trying to take some game-day visits. We'd expect him to be at Purdue for the Oregon State game, for starters.

Here's what Omonode said Friday night about both Purdue and Arkansas State.

Purdue: "I've been over there a few times now and talked to the coaches and love all of them. It's crazy because I drive past there every day but couldn't go in until June.

"I've talked to Yanni and George and they think if I came in I might be able to rotate in on Saturdays if I play like they know I can."

On the practicality of Purdue

"There'd be a lot of benefits staying In town, being right next to family and they could come watch me play, but also I'm not sure if I'd want to get out of West Lafayette yet (and do something different) or not."

Arkansas State: "All the coaches there are great. Butch Jones is great. He has a different mine. Coach (Brandon) Joiner, the D-line coach, has a lot of energy, and he's a cool guy who's been in the NFL. The D-coordinator (Rob Harley) has a lot of energy, too. He's crazy."

We still think this one probably eventually falls Purdue's way, but it's a toss-up at the moment. (BN)

PURDUE FOOTBALL

Purdue has chosen a quarterback and may make an announcement, possibly as early as today. Jeff Brohm is talking to the media this evening for reasons not yet known to us, so that's a possibility.

Our guess: Jack Plummer. (staff)

PURDUE BASKETBALL

Just going to tell you again what we've told you before, but in even stronger terms: Purdue loves Brian Waddell.

People around the program have been gushing about the freshman all summer, to the point that we do wonder if a time won't come where Matt Painter does revisit his plan to redshirt him. This situation is starting to remind of that of another Carmel grad, Ryan Cline, who played himself out of a planned redshirt some years ago, though that redshirt was more expected than promised. Waddell was recruited specifically to redshirt.

We'd be very surprised, though, if the plan changed. Painter almost always takes the long view with this sort of stuff, and there's no urgent need at Waddell's position, whatever that position might actually be right now. At the moment, he's a 3. Long term, we shall see. (Yes, that rhymes.) Regardless of how impressive Waddell has been in practice, that doesn't change anything about his body, which needs size and strength.

Waddell's apparent emergence — and keep in mind that it is still very early in his career — strengthen's Purdue's facelift on the wing, where next year it should have Brandon Newman, Camden Heide, Waddell and the outlier that will be Trey Kaufman-Renn, with Myles Colvin to come in 2023. (Perhaps Newman slides to the 2 should Jaden Ivey depart.) (BN)

PURDUE FOOTBALL RECRUITING

Stay tuned for coverage Friday night from Brebeuf-New Palestine, and Purdue commitment Joe Strickland.

Not that it's big news, but Strickland will be at the Oregon State game next weekend, and probably several others. (BN)

Please keep in mind our sponsor, JFQ Lending, and look into what they have to offer if you're in the market for a loan.

sjfwgzk8iyvgadh1vhrb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.