ADVERTISEMENT

Boiler Upload Purdue Football Mailbag

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
As spring practice is in full swing, I thought I’d do a few mailbags over the next several weeks. Any questions you guys may have about personnel, injuries, what players/coaches are saying or general Purdue football questions.

You can drop your questions in the comments, message me directly or send an email to BoilerUploadRivals@gmail.com

*This is slated to be published on Tuesday*

I’m surprised I didn’t see this thread sooner. I’ll load you up with a bunch.

I know some people were wondering about Yanni. His name hasn’t been mentioned, which is probably not good for him. Any observations?

Who’s placekicking?

How does Brady Allen look compared to Hudson? Or is someone else the backup QB

Do you think they’ll end up looking for another running back?

Which offensive linemen are in 2nd string?

Who’s the 3rd TE on the depth chart? Is Miller fully recovered?

Seems like Sheffield, Burks will have good years, has the WR Cannon impressed? There’s plenty of receivers like ARY-Rice-Terrell etc, but are there any other playmakers/true #1’s?

Did D. Lewis get healthy? How’s he factor into the DL rotation?

What does Joe Anderson bring to the system that makes him stand out vs. being a fringe rotational player last year.

Is the Walters system concept really just “show the same look on defense pre-snap” then get into position post snap and make the QB read on the fly? or are there really interesting things the defense does?

Did Tee Denson ever get healthy? How’s he look?

By my count, They are over on the scholarship count, are there players that have left the program or not around for spring practices?

Can you speak to the conditioning program with Small. Several players looked bigger, is there noticeable differences?

What was the real story with the OL coach leaving?

Any important recruiting update?

I’m surprised I didn’t see this thread sooner. I’ll load you up with a bunch.

I know some people were wondering about Yanni. His name hasn’t been mentioned, which is probably not good for him. Any observations?

Who’s placekicking?

How does Brady Allen look compared to Hudson? Or is someone else the backup QB

Do you think they’ll end up looking for another running back?

Which offensive linemen are in 2nd string?

Who’s the 3rd TE on the depth chart? Is Miller fully recovered?

Seems like Sheffield, Burks will have good years, has the WR Cannon impressed? There’s plenty of receivers like ARY-Rice-Terrell etc, but are there any other playmakers/true #1’s?

Did D. Lewis get healthy? How’s he factor into the DL rotation?

What does Joe Anderson bring to the system that makes him stand out vs. being a fringe rotational player last year.

Is the Walters system concept really just “show the same look on defense pre-snap” then get into position post snap and make the QB read on the fly? or are there really interesting things the defense does?

Did Tee Denson ever get healthy? How’s he look?

By my count, They are over on the scholarship count, are there players that have left the program or not around for spring practices?

Can you speak to the conditioning program with Small. Several players looked bigger, is there noticeable differences?

What was the real story with the OL coach leaving?

Any important recruiting update?
My apologies for just seeing this. I will include all of these in next week’s mailbag.

-Do we have a "50-50 ball" receiver that's getting more takeaways?
How has Mockabee looked?
is it a 3-4 0or 4-3 front for the D?
who looks like the most likely slot receiver?
any noteworthy speed on O or D?
+

I think it's either a 3-4 or a 5-2, depending on how you count the outside linebackers who will line up closer to the line of scrimmage than in a typical 3-4. Someone who knows more can correct me if I'm wrong.
It’s a hybrid of the two, but the edges are also asked to drop in coverage some. So, that aspect makes it like a 3-4. In pass rushing scenarios, it will be more of a 5-2.

Reactions: Silent_Lion
It’s a hybrid of the two, but the edges are also asked to drop in coverage some. So, that aspect makes it like a 3-4. In pass rushing scenarios, it will be more of a 5-2.
I think the distinction isn't really important in this day and age. You should have the ability to play any scheme based on the situation at hand in the game situation. There are so many hybrid DL/LB players these days, that's why the EDGE position has become a thing.

ADVERTISEMENT