ADVERTISEMENT

Boiler Takeaways from the Weekend

pubill

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 2, 2021
wow, what a great 3 games our Boilers played, some of my thoughts in no particular order:

1. Edey- I was not sure he could handle 100% of the center postion, but I am now. His defense looks much better, he is setting down to help in the lane. His rebounding is much improved, going strong and pulling in with 2 hands. I do wish at times, he would look to throw outlet pass to Braden but ball security is most important. His passing looks much better, he made the pass to Wadd for a dunk, that I had never seen him make before and he is throwing it out to the 3 line when doubled ,much better than he did last year.

2. Smith- from 1 st moment I saw him play this year, I believed he was the pt guard we have been looking for a long time. It is his team to run for next 4 years. He has already made more penetrations and dishes than Hunter and Thompson did all last year. Yes I wish he was 2 inches taller, but love his qualities and game, especially how he scans the floor and looks to make correct pass.

3. Loyer- he has surprised me, thought he might be mini-Cline, which would be good, but he is next level. He has already made more buckets going toward the bucket than Ryan did in his career. He showed he can handle and pass the ball and his defense looked very good for a frosh in his 6th game. I believe by the end of Loyer's run at Purdue , we will be putting him in the discussion with Mount and Lewis as best shooters here ever.

4. Furst- today was coming out party for him. He played aggressive and confident and hard, exactly what we need from him, a great compliment to Edey.

5. Morton- seems to be a year older and wiser glue guy we need. 19 assists against 1 turnover is great -note please watch his post game interview on utube, he talks about how bad his turnover was and also interesting his talk about the Frosh guards and how confident they are.

6.Mason- hit several big shots and played very well against Zags, today seemed a little unsettled but made a BIG 3 when we were down, he is solid.

7. Jenkins- hit a big shot today and handled the ball today better than against the Zags, but he still scares me a little running the team when Braden is out.

8. Newman- seems to really be playing hard, rebounding great and working more on D , than in past years, had trouble making shots today that were wide open. but he will be key for us getting baskets many times this year.

9. TKR- great back to basket moves for a youngster. Have not saw enough of his game out on court to see how he can do there

10.Waddell- the dunk shocked me today, the last 2 games he came in and made plays getting others good shots, looks like he needs a good year on the weights but will be a nice player the next 4 years.

Probably missed other points, but just really overwhelmed by our play this weekend. I do believe this team can be better than last year's. Gonna be fun to watch!

"I believe by the end of Loyer's run at Purdue , we will be putting him in the discussion with Mount and Lewis as best shooters here ever."

Someone has certainly already pointed this out, but guards Billy Keller and Rick Mount took Purdue to the championship game. In that game, they were defeated by the best center in college basketball. Smith and Loyer have the best center on their team.

Just sayin'.

What a bountiful Thanksgiving Boilermaker Buffet this weekend!

Appetizer courses - West Virginia win and Visiting chef delight, ala Nebraska

Main Courses - Gonzaga rout and Old Oaken Bucket victory.....

Topped off with a fabulous dessert of a beatdown of Duke!

Tip your servers generously, folks! :)

wow, what a great 3 games our Boilers played, some of my thoughts in no particular order:

1. Edey- I was not sure he could handle 100% of the center postion, but I am now. His defense looks much better, he is setting down to help in the lane. His rebounding is much improved, going strong and pulling in with 2 hands. I do wish at times, he would look to throw outlet pass to Braden but ball security is most important. His passing looks much better, he made the pass to Wadd for a dunk, that I had never seen him make before and he is throwing it out to the 3 line when doubled ,much better than he did last year.

2. Smith- from 1 st moment I saw him play this year, I believed he was the pt guard we have been looking for a long time. It is his team to run for next 4 years. He has already made more penetrations and dishes than Hunter and Thompson did all last year. Yes I wish he was 2 inches taller, but love his qualities and game, especially how he scans the floor and looks to make correct pass.

3. Loyer- he has surprised me, thought he might be mini-Cline, which would be good, but he is next level. He has already made more buckets going toward the bucket than Ryan did in his career. He showed he can handle and pass the ball and his defense looked very good for a frosh in his 6th game. I believe by the end of Loyer's run at Purdue , we will be putting him in the discussion with Mount and Lewis as best shooters here ever.

4. Furst- today was coming out party for him. He played aggressive and confident and hard, exactly what we need from him, a great compliment to Edey.

5. Morton- seems to be a year older and wiser glue guy we need. 19 assists against 1 turnover is great -note please watch his post game interview on utube, he talks about how bad his turnover was and also interesting his talk about the Frosh guards and how confident they are.

6.Mason- hit several big shots and played very well against Zags, today seemed a little unsettled but made a BIG 3 when we were down, he is solid.

7. Jenkins- hit a big shot today and handled the ball today better than against the Zags, but he still scares me a little running the team when Braden is out.

8. Newman- seems to really be playing hard, rebounding great and working more on D , than in past years, had trouble making shots today that were wide open. but he will be key for us getting baskets many times this year.

9. TKR- great back to basket moves for a youngster. Have not saw enough of his game out on court to see how he can do there

10.Waddell- the dunk shocked me today, the last 2 games he came in and made plays getting others good shots, looks like he needs a good year on the weights but will be a nice player the next 4 years.

Probably missed other points, but just really overwhelmed by our play this weekend. I do believe this team can be better than last year's. Gonna be fun to watch!

Appreciate the interesting thoughts......unexpected but welcomed treat this holiday weekend.

This Boilermaker team is the collegiate version of the 09-10(?) Orlando Magic team with Dwight Howard in the middle surrounded by excellent role players who can shoot and play great defense. Everyone on the team knows it's Edeys team, as he is the focal point, and Edey is humble enough to know that he NEEDS to make the right play everytime he gets the ball, whether it's single coverage where he needs to attack the rim with his size and skillset, or it's double coverage where he patiently finds the open man. But I love when Edey dishes out of a double team, and they make two or three passes around the perimeter, passing up good shots to get one great, wide open shot. These kids are years ahead of their age and Painters main job is keeping them grounded and humbled.

We have a special team boys, but we will go through a spurt where teams see a weakness, maybe a zone defense that seems to work against us. They're going to have to weather the storm and adjust to that scheme. I think we have the team to do just that. And the scariest part about it all, we're only losing a guy or two this year...

Good luck Big Ten.. and sorry IU, looks like you're little brother once again, even with all the hype 😬😁.

This Boilermaker team is the collegiate version of the 09-10(?) Orlando Magic team with Dwight Howard in the middle surrounded by excellent role players who can shoot and play great defense. Everyone on the team knows it's Edeys team, as he is the focal point, and Edey is humble enough to know that he NEEDS to make the right play everytime he gets the ball, whether it's single coverage where he needs to attack the rim with his size and skillset, or it's double coverage where he patiently finds the open man. But I love when Edey dishes out of a double team, and they make two or three passes around the perimeter, passing up good shots to get one great, wide open shot. These kids are years ahead of their age and Painters main job is keeping them grounded and humbled.

We have a special team boys, but we will go through a spurt where teams see a weakness, maybe a zone defense that seems to work against us. They're going to have to weather the storm and adjust to that scheme. I think we have the team to do just that. And the scariest part about it all, we're only losing a guy or two this year...

Good luck Big Ten.. and sorry IU, looks like you're little brother once again, even with all the hype 😬😁.

Special team yep. Going to enjoy it as they are flat out fun to watch. Dad 88 years young, says best Boiler team he has seen to start the season.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Good luck Big Ten.. and sorry IU, looks like your little brother once again, even with all the hype 😬😁.
One key development is Edey becoming a legit star. This will only help him get more of the calls that he should have gotten the last 2 years. And hitting 75.6% of his free throws this season really takes the Hack a Zach strategy out of play.

Purdue truly looked like the experienced, veteran team this weekend while starting two freshmen and bringing two redshirt freshmen and a transfer off the bench. I expected a major letdown by this time and it still could happen as soon as the FSU game, but this team has shown nothing but maturity, thus far. Last year’s team was into free lancing and had the talent to get away with a lot of it, but this year’s team is playing far more cohesively. I am excited to see if they can keep building on this success.

One key development is Edey becoming a legit star. This will only help him get more of the calls that he should have gotten the last 2 years. And hitting 75.6% of his free throws this season really takes the Hack a Zach strategy out of play.

Maybe even DJ or Courtney Green will come around.....well, one can dream, right?

Reactions: ChuckJr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT