RFSNES

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Have not herd how the players look during the summer pick up games
Would love to hear your thoughts for those that have heard or have seen
any activity.

bump

If anyone on here has seen the team work out or practice this summer, please share your insight with us.

Last edited:
bump

If anyone on here has seen the team work out or practice this summer, please share your insight with us.
I have some info but as someone pointed out, the summer is pretty barren:

The offense likely will look similar to what it did last year in terms of the initial ‘weave’ the team ran BUT it will end up in more PNR opportunities with big men than can move (likely Evan and Haarms). There won’t be a lot of action looking to get anyone deep post position outside of a really bad mismatch if a team switches.

Sasha has improved considerably and his body shows that. He came in with a bit of baby fat but the year under Josh and a summer under the new guy has helped tremendously. I’ve heard some comparisons to Dakota if he can continue to work hard and improve his skill set to warrant the playing time necessary to grow.

Nojel and Wheeler may end up nearing the 40% from three threshold this season. Both have improved their shot considerably with one on one work throughout the off season. Both are going to provide something in a Purdue lineup few Boiler fans have seen...length, athleticism, and skill.

Carsen has a renewed sense of urgency and commitment to be the leader of a big time program. He thrives in being the center of attention (as we saw at Illinois without Vince). Could very easily average 23 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists. That would easily get him B1G POY and All American votes again.

Haarms has added more muscle and strength. He will be playing as many minutes as he can withstand which could be near the 25-28 minute mark. He is simply that good and a system more friendly to his personal skill set will show that.

In terms of the incoming freshman, it’s been a bit quiet but what I have gathered:

Williams is an incredible talent that will likely need another full year to season but may end up being able to couple with Haarms and Evan to make a very fluid 4/5 position on the floor. He is not as skilled as Biggie was as a freshman but the potential is there to really open some eyes when his body gets back under him.

Hunter has continued to show his ability to simply make shots and be a threat on the offensive end. I believe CMP noted that he had all the shots at the college level already in high school and it has shown. May struggle a bit against larger guards but plays hard and has improved his understanding of the defensive concepts.

Dow likely needs a season to improve himself but going day in and out against Haarms, Williams, Evan, and Wheeler is going to really speed up his growth. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get some bumps in minutes but may see a role similar to Taylor last season. May be the hardest playing incoming freshman this year during practice.

Does anyone even know when they play/practice (other than player's friends and families;)?)
What I no of from what my son has shared with me and my communication with a couple coaches team is really coming alone. Williams weight is down from were he was when he1st got to Purdue. Kid can really pass and handle the ball like a guard and is a really good rebounder. Dow gonna be very helpful defensively offense will come alone and he can actually shoot it a bit. Eric gonna be good quick can shoot it and handle the rock Aaron look out that kid as we all can see is a freak athlete but can shoot the ball well and handle it well enough to get to the basket Sasha definitely has slimmed down and obviously is a sharp shooter somewhat athletic himself Evan is good really good can shoot tje3 ball very physical and gonna be a problem trying to keep of the boards. Cline will be ready to step up and make his presence felt doing what aeniorsdo I see him making more of an impact than what some of u may think. Haarms gonna be a problem got good mid range game set mean screens and can shoot the 3 as well. Carsten is carsen he knows what he gotta do this season and he’s ready for that challenge. Nojel well what time in the off season can do for you. As I stated awhile ago he’s been putting in major major work in the gym while he was home for the 5 weeks he was here and I must say he looking good his shot that is and FTs. When he went back for summer school and summer workouts he came back 12 pounds lighter and leaner a lot more in shape now a lean 220. Got back in the gym with the managers while he worked out a lot on his own with a workout routine that a trainer i no gave to him to do and it’s an intense workout. Coaches pitched in as well but what Nojel needed was time to himself with me helping him and soon after he started mentally gaining his confidence back and also tweaked some things in his shot that it looks quite different than what you saw. His main focus this season is stepping up being another leader on this team and with that he is ready to help this very talented team win a lot of games. There is an article or 2 out there about my so google it will tell you what he has been doing this summer I’m excited about this team they are gonna be a aleeeper team nobody gonna wanna play by big ten play starts.

What do you see as ce's role w this team?
I expect opponents to put their quickest 6-7 ish defender. Forcing him to go even further out to get shots off!
So ce needs to improve his mid range game...getting shots off n finding open teammates!
At the end last year teams played os people tight man n n ce was only one able to drive past his man...only to be riden into a bigger defender at the basket! Leading to more missed shots n turnovers! He'll need to be a facilitator for teammates vs a shot creator for himself!
Yes I still think haarms is our toughest person to match up with!
Quicker than most bigs n when opponents put a 6'7ish defender on him 8" advantage...Wow!
High low w haarms, Williams, ebx, wheeler is going to be hard to deal with!

I expect opponents to put their quickest 6-7 ish defender. Forcing him to go even further out to get shots off!
So ce needs to improve his mid range game...getting shots off n finding open teammates!
At the end last year teams played os people tight man n n ce was only one able to drive past his man...only to be riden into a bigger defender at the basket! Leading to more missed shots n turnovers! He'll need to be a facilitator for teammates vs a shot creator for himself!
Quicker than most bigs n when opponents put a 6'7ish defender on him 8" advantage...Wow!
No offense, but outside of about 3-4 defenders in the entire country next season at that height, Carsen would abuse a 6'7 player. It would essentially be a team's 4 guarding Carsen. I would take an opposing team's 4 guarding Carsen every day of the week.

I just want to thank Treed and Johnnydoe for the insight in to the team. I am really excited to see this team come together this coming season and make a nice deep run.

You can see a change in offensive philosophy in the reports given and I am glad we have a coach that can adapt like that once he gets the recruits he needed to make the change.

Anyone that isn't stoked for the future of Purdue basketball needs their fan card checked.

I think it will be different from game to game, but for the most part I would expect teams to take the "don't let Carsen beat us" approach. This would mean running him off the 3pt line and providing helpside when he undoubtedly blows by the closeout defender. I think this defensive strategy will actually be better for us, because Carsen will make the smart play and dish it to the open man. I have faith that whoever the open man is will nail the shot, or dunk it home. For this reason, I expect Carsen's scoring numbers to be similar to last year, but I expect his assists to get to the 4.5/gm range.

Michigan had a couple n Texas tech had several...Villanova our early season losses!
I haven't looked at this coming years opponents but I'm sure their coaches will figure it out pretty quickly!
I'm excited for this coming year but the returning players need to improve things also!
Ebx n Williams both w be the tough defensive rebounder we missed last yr! How many times did the opponents have multiple OFF rebounds then ce or eastern get the tough defensive rebound! They should be catching the outlet pass n leading the break!

I also expect the opponents w play more zone if not posting haarms n alot of box n 1 n other gadget defense's!
Just smart basketball!

What I no of from what my son has shared with me and my communication with a couple coaches team is really coming alone. Williams weight is down from were he was when he1st got to Purdue. Kid can really pass and handle the ball like a guard and is a really good rebounder. Dow gonna be very helpful defensively offense will come alone and he can actually shoot it a bit. Eric gonna be good quick can shoot it and handle the rock Aaron look out that kid as we all can see is a freak athlete but can shoot the ball well and handle it well enough to get to the basket Sasha definitely has slimmed down and obviously is a sharp shooter somewhat athletic himself Evan is good really good can shoot tje3 ball very physical and gonna be a problem trying to keep of the boards. Cline will be ready to step up and make his presence felt doing what aeniorsdo I see him making more of an impact than what some of u may think. Haarms gonna be a problem got good mid range game set mean screens and can shoot the 3 as well. Carsten is carsen he knows what he gotta do this season and he’s ready for that challenge. Nojel well what time in the off season can do for you. As I stated awhile ago he’s been putting in major major work in the gym while he was home for the 5 weeks he was here and I must say he looking good his shot that is and FTs. When he went back for summer school and summer workouts he came back 12 pounds lighter and leaner a lot more in shape now a lean 220. Got back in the gym with the managers while he worked out a lot on his own with a workout routine that a trainer i no gave to him to do and it’s an intense workout. Coaches pitched in as well but what Nojel needed was time to himself with me helping him and soon after he started mentally gaining his confidence back and also tweaked some things in his shot that it looks quite different than what you saw. His main focus this season is stepping up being another leader on this team and with that he is ready to help this very talented team win a lot of games. There is an article or 2 out there about my so google it will tell you what he has been doing this summer I’m excited about this team they are gonna be a aleeeper team nobody gonna wanna play by big ten play starts.
I don't think you surprised any of us with what you wrote...you just cemented it more. So happy to hear that Nojel's shot has made progress.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
From my original Post I thank all of you for the insight..I am excited.....this will be a team nobody wants to play..small ball, big ball, slow or uptempo..we have many combinations to work with..let the freshmen play early and gain composure and confidence for the back side of the season.....I ready

Reactions: neckster87
I also expect the opponents w play more zone if not posting haarms n alot of box n 1 n other gadget defense's!
Just smart basketball!
Purdue as always will see some zone and man...and depending on how effective Purdue is against either will dictate what is played that game. I will be surprised if a zone is played most the game against Purdue. I also don't think junk defenses are as effective in college as high school...except for a very short duration. College teams have more people that can make a basket and understand the game better than high school players.

Purdue will have to prove they can score if a zone is played against them and I don't think that will be a problem...plus Purdue may find more open lanes to rebound the ball as well...

I see Purdue's biggest problem... youth...mental mistakes...unforced errors, poor shots, unbalanced offense resulting in less setting of the D. How quickly Purdue matures and finds it chemistry will dictate a lot. Purdue controls what happens...the other team is not as important in my eyes

Was trying to find a comparison for Boogie this year from the B10 in the last 10 years.
As much as I dislike iu, I’m thinking Eric Gordon?

I was going to start a thread yesterday just to add something to talk about. I was thinking that this years team and next years team will end up being very athletic type players. I was going to ask everyone to rank each player based on athleticism and then shut it down thinking it would be stupid.

Anyway, one thing that cough my eye watching what I could during the WUG was that Sasha is a lot more athletic than some give him credit for. He was sold as someone that could develop into a DM type player but my first reaction was he could end up being much better due to his ability to get to the rim. Treed commented on it as well. Not sure if she was surprised, or had noticed it lately.

I’m glad guys are working on their game and improving their shot but it’s rare to find someone who goes from struggling to proficient in one offseason.
Playing ball in the gym during the summer is a lot different than playing when the TV cameras go on in October.
It’s like the difference between hitting balls on the range and actually playing on the course.

I agree that in the WUG
I was going to start a thread yesterday just to add something to talk about. I was thinking that this years team and next years team will end up being very athletic type players. I was going to ask everyone to rank each player based on athleticism and then shut it down thinking it would be stupid.

Anyway, one thing that cough my eye watching what I could during the WUG was that Sasha is a lot more athletic than some give him credit for. He was sold as someone that could develop into a DM type player but my first reaction was he could end up being much better due to his ability to get to the rim. Treed commented on it as well. Not sure if she was surprised, or had noticed it lately.
you could see that he was more athletic than I think most thought...

I’m glad guys are working on their game and improving their shot but it’s rare to find someone who goes from struggling to proficient in one offseason.
Playing ball in the gym during the summer is a lot different than playing when the TV cameras go on in October.
It’s like the difference between hitting balls on the range and actually playing on the course.
I’m not sure what you are implying but sir I no my son is working strategically on his game in game situations game speed everything that translates to basketball. So yes you can In one season change many things about your game when you are working on them every single day. Like I said confidence changes a lot when ur mind set is clear now and you no you gonna play minutes. He continues to put in a lot of work not just his shooting but his entire game and sir when season begins mentally focused and very confident in his game. 4 months season will be here than many will see what my son has been doing

I’m not sure what you are implying but sir I no my son is working strategically on his game in game situations game speed everything that translates to basketball. So yes you can In one season change many things about your game when you are working on them every single day. Like I said confidence changes a lot when ur mind set is clear now and you no you gonna play minutes. He continues to put in a lot of work not just his shooting but his entire game and sir when season begins mentally focused and very confident in his game. 4 months season will be here than many will see what my son has been doing
You have to just excuse bonefish. He understands basketball about as much as a goldfish understands physics.

We have seen players make giant improvements in the offseason here at Purdue let alone all over the country if they put the work in. Often you will even hear announcers make mention of it.

I can't wait to see how much your son has improved when the season starts.

In one year, Cuonzo is famous to Purdue fans for dramatically changing his 3-pt shot. Haas went from 54% to 71% with his FTs in one year. He was at 76% as a senior. PJ went from 28% to >40% on his 3-pt shot in one year. Over his 4 years, Dakota went from 32% to 47% on his 3-pt shot. It's not that rare.

R O W I N S K I
DgTJXLtUwAIuZqh.jpg

In one year, Cuonzo is famous to Purdue fans for dramatically changing his 3-pt shot. Haas went from 54% to 71% with his FTs in one year. He was at 76% as a senior. PJ went from 28% to >40% on his 3-pt shot in one year. Over his 4 years, Dakota went from 32% to 47% on his 3-pt shot. It's not that rare.

Agree. And if you remember how much Carsen improved from Frosh to Soph, it was marked. If Haarms and Eastern make that type of improvement, this will be a very dangerous team. Sounds like Eastern is working extremely hard to do just that.

Oh, the memories!!!! was that from down 22?

Down 20 at one point, DDD. And......the Boilers scored the last 18 points after trailing 54-38 with over 9 minutes left. Gene Keady had had enough with the effort and pulled most of the starters.....I still recall watching this in the dorms with a group and when Rowinski hit that bank shot.......bedlam!

Also, look at Steve Reid at the end......he's like a rag-doll held by Mr. Beach.

Oh, the memories!!!! was that from down 22?
yeah, I caught herb at a CC game years ago and he said people were still talking about that comeback. I know I kept thinking...don't sub...win or lose with those guys that brough Purdue back...they deserved it!

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

You are correct improvements can be made in one off season. Just use Cuonzo Martin as an example. Freshman year 0 of 1 from 3; Soph year 0 of 6 from 3; Jr. year 88 of 196 (45%) from 3; and Sr. year 91 of 194 (47%). So that is a BIG yes to improvements can be made in one off-season! I love your son's potential this year and throughout his career both here and at the next level!!

Have not herd how the players look during the summer pick up games
Would love to hear your thoughts for those that have heard or have seen
any activity.
You are correct improvements can be made in one off season. Just use Cuonzo Martin as an example. Freshman year 0 of 1 from 3; Soph year 0 of 6 from 3; Jr. year 88 of 196 (45%) from 3; and Sr. year 91 of 194 (47%). So that is a BIG yes to improvements can be made in one off-season! I love your son's potential this year and throughout his career both here and at the next level!!
There is an article or 2 that just came out about my son gives you a sneak peak what he has been doing this summer. One the athletic wrote one and another one Nojel living in the moment kinda give you an idea what my son has been doing and still doing this summer. I just don’t no how to share the link

There is an article or 2 that just came out about my son gives you a sneak peak what he has been doing this summer. One the athletic wrote one and another one Nojel living in the moment kinda give you an idea what my son has been doing and still doing this summer. I just don’t no how to share the link

Ms. Reed,

In your reply message, if you click on the "link" icon (7th from the left in the top row), a box should appear to paste the URL. Then click "insert" and the link code should appear in the body of your message.

I hope you don't mind....I went ahead and found the articles and posted them here.

https://theathletic.com/417831/2018...the-glue-who-holds-the-boilermakers-together/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-evanston-purdue-nba-draft-tl-0719-story.html

Really looking forward to Nojel's campaign this year and him making the most of this opportunity. Also, from this Purdue alumnus, thank you again for the comments and updates concerning your son and the team and for your support and enthusiasm. You deserve to be very proud of a fine, well-respecting, talented young man. We'd love nothing more than to see him and the Boilers reach unprecedented success on and off the court. Good luck with the rest of the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT