ADVERTISEMENT

Bobo dropped the ball

NewPeil, we all know why Jeff asked for it, which further supports my case that BoBo should have made this coaching turn a round seamless......
I`m not a BoBo hater, I`m just surprised that this has gone the way that it has.
How do you know it’s not seamless?

Brohm: 26-25 B1G record
Hope: 13-19 B1G record

And Hope inherited a MUCH better roster from Tiller than Brohm inherited from Burke’s last failed hire.

Are you implying Hope was primed for a big turnaround in 2013 and 2014 to get over .500 in conference ?

Brohm must have waved a magic wand over that worse roster and finished 7-6. Apparently he then waved that wand in reverse for three straight losing seasons with his own roster. Only in year five did he finally find Hope.

And now we’ve become the feeder program for the feeder program for the feeder program for Wisconsin. Soon we’ll have another one groomed to go.

Brohm: 26-25 B1G record
Hope: 13-19 B1G record

And Hope inherited a MUCH better roster from Tiller than Brohm inherited from Burke’s last failed hire.

Are you implying Hope was primed for a big turnaround in 2013 and 2014 to get over .500 in conference ?
For Hope, it was a blessing that he was fired. Alumni Morg was a company man and he was not going to push the Pres.
I have shared this before and I will now again. In 1996 I was setting in the press conference less than 10 ft away from Morg when he publicly stated that "Purdue has no ambitions of Purdue ever being a football school" and look where we are at today
How do you know it’s not seamless?
In today's environment it seems like seamless is 7 Days or less with the proper advanced vetting.

For Hope, it was a blessing that he was fired. Alumni Morg was a company man and he was not going to push the Pres.
I have shared this before and I will now again. In 1996 I was setting in the press conference less than 10 ft away from Morg when he publicly stated that "Purdue has no ambitions of Purdue ever being a football school" and look where we are at today

In today's environment it seems like seamless is 7 Days or less with the proper advanced vetting.
Have to admit, this doesn’t seem to be seamless… hope I’m wrong.

Have to admit, this doesn’t seem to be seamless… hope I’m wrong.
We both hope that I am wrong... You are one of the most realistic posters on this forum.
If it takes two weeks and we get the right guy than that's great with me!!
I'm hearing DL Coach from IL and not from Purdue Forums either.....
If that's the case I have mixed thoughts about the process....

Reactions: Boiler8285
Send him packing. This hire sucks. What a bunch of shit. They can kiss my ass when they call for donations and money next year.

We both hope that I am wrong... You are one of the most realistic posters on this forum.
If it takes two weeks and we get the right guy than that's great with me!!
I'm hearing DL Coach from IL and not from Purdue Forums either.....
If that's the case I have mixed thoughts about the process....
Walters is pretty much the opposite of what I was expecting… would have much preferred Helton.

Reactions: boilermaker75
me too where I put this is

Hazel < Waters < Hope
No P5 Head Coaching experience and I bet at the beginning of the season, he would not have been on half of the MAC`s short lists for coaching hires....
Lets see how much $$ BoBo gives him to work with for staff?????

Well this news today was a major bummer. I thought the lesson had been learned that we need a proven pass-first coach. I thought we were getting a big name, all the national sports pundits were saying Purdue is quite the destination right now between the winning season and all the Big Ten money coming in. I believed Bobinski that this hire would be a big one because all the pieces were finally lined up when we needed a football coach.

At least there’s basketball, for now. Hopefully Painter doesn’t retire during Bobinski’s tenure.

Well this news today was a major bummer. I thought the lesson had been learned that we need a proven pass-first coach. I thought we were getting a big name, all the national sports pundits were saying Purdue is quite the destination right now between the winning season and all the Big Ten money coming in. I believed Bobinski that this hire would be a big one because all the pieces were finally lined up when we needed a football coach.

At least there’s basketball, for now. Hopefully Painter doesn’t retire during Bobinski’s tenure.
Just because sports pundits are saying that we're now a destination, that doesn't mean any of the coaches we want are going to reciprocate.

It def feels like a more underwhelming hire than I would have thought given a reasonable expectation of who we might be able to get, but Bobo's track record has been pretty good. I feel like we need to give him the benefit of the doubt at least for now

Reactions: tenwest
Just because sports pundits are saying that we're now a destination, that doesn't mean any of the coaches we want are going to reciprocate.

It def feels like a more underwhelming hire than I would have thought given a reasonable expectation of who we might be able to get, but Bobo's track record has been pretty good. I feel like we need to give him the benefit of the doubt at least for now
Nope. When Purdue makes an underwhelming hire like Hazel, it’s obvious from the beginning. That’s the case here too. Didn’t follow the only formula that has ever shown success at Purdue. He’s going to have to prove me wrong. It’s going to be an uphill battle, and I’m not giving the benefit of the doubt if we suffer through low-win seasons and field a boring product.

On a sidenote, the world has one less offensive genius today with the news of Mike Leech.

• Sad
Reactions: Bippus33
This was a gutless hire. Bobinski knows if Walters doesn't work he can fall back on I hired a top coordinator. If he had gone with Shepard he probably felt he would be more open for criticism. No guts no glory.

how soon we forget that hazell was the guy who recruited 95% of the players that brohm guided to a bowl win in his first year. Brohm may have been a better overall recruiter than hazell, but Hazell didn't leave the cupboard barren.

let's look at the last 4 hires. Tiller, Hope, Hazell, Brohm and now Waters. Does anybody see a trend? all were young(except Tiller). none of them were a big name, experienced coach. None were a successful power 5 head coach. I know everybody here loves Tiller. But how many Bowl games did Tiller win at Wyoming?

is this the best that purdue can do? if so......... then the next 5 hires will be exactly the same as the last 5.

the Bucket game should be an exciting, even match-up.

The good news, or maybe the bad news, is after this hire no one is going to be interested in poaching our AD. Anyone randomly selected off this board could do a better job.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12

I knew Morgan very well. Maybe so did many of you. He had a president who was not sports driven. So the money went to academics. I supposed he could have quit. This is what worries me with a new incoming president who might see money from BTN as a grab bag.

Reactions: Bippus33
I knew Morgan very well. Maybe so did many of you. He had a president who was not sports driven. So the money went to academics. I supposed he could have quit. This is what worries me with a new incoming president who might see money from BTN as a grab bag.

At this point I would welcome that. At least we would be putting the money to good use and it really won't change the number of wins and losses.

Brohm was 14-19 in the Big Ten before gaining the fifth and sixth years that Hope never had. That makes the score Western Kentucky 14, Eastern Kentucky 13.

And, again, Morgan Burke was the one responsible for hiring, retaining and sustaining the winningest coaches in our history for football, men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball and baseball. Can’t beat being the best we’ve ever had.
Brohm took over a program that was 3-30 in the Big Ten the 4 years before he got there. Brohm is the best coach we had since Tiller and it’s not even remotely close.

Hope tanked a good roster to his record.

Hope underachieved greatly and Brohm overachieved greatly. Kinda hard to believe you cant see that.

If Walters goes 14-19 his first 4 seasons it will be very different than Brohm doing it and he would likely pay with his job.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
Brohm took over a program that was 3-30 in the Big Ten the 4 years before he got there. Brohm is the best coach we had since Tiller and it’s not even remotely close.

Hope tanked a good roster to his record.

Hope underachieved greatly and Brohm overachieved greatly. Kinda hard to believe you cant see that.

If Walters goes 14-19 his first 4 seasons it will be very different than Brohm doing it and he would likely pay with his job.

As stated above …

Hope inherited a 4-8 team that lost its record-setting quarterback, but he still finished 5-7. In year two, he beat No. 7 Ohio State and became only the second Purdue coach ever to win at Michigan. In year three, he lost all of his skill players three deep to season-ending injuries and lost his last six games. In year four, he took Purdue to a bowl and got fired. He beat OSU twice and was within 30 seconds of a third upset. Brohm took over a 3-9 team, finished 7-6 with a bowl, then followed that with three straight losing seasons. In short, he went from winning once to perennial losing until given the fifth and sixth years that Hope never had. Same school. Same conference. Same records after 49 games -- 22-27. Reality.

Since Nobel Keizer head coaching success in the 1930’s, no matter the experience of the following coaches, Purdue always went into the football wilderness after a successful coaching tenure. So WTF give the young coach a chance. History is against him.

As stated above …

Hope inherited a 4-8 team that lost its record-setting quarterback, but he still finished 5-7. In year two, he beat No. 7 Ohio State and became only the second Purdue coach ever to win at Michigan. In year three, he lost all of his skill players three deep to season-ending injuries and lost his last six games. In year four, he took Purdue to a bowl and got fired. He beat OSU twice and was within 30 seconds of a third upset. Brohm took over a 3-9 team, finished 7-6 with a bowl, then followed that with three straight losing seasons. In short, he went from winning once to perennial losing until given the fifth and sixth years that Hope never had. Same school. Same conference. Same records after 49 games -- 22-27. Reality.
Hope took over a team that had an average recruiting class around 50th in the country for the roster and they had won 13 Big Ten games the last 4 years. He then proceeded to recruit worse and not improve the record.

Brohm took over a team whose average recruiting class ranking was 80th in the country and had won 3 Big Ten games in 4 years. He then proceeded to take them to two bowl games immediately (4 bowls in 6 years) and improved recruiting by a ton including one top 25 class.

Brohm is 10X the couch Hope was. Record doesn’t tell the whole story.

Hope took over a team that had an average recruiting class around 50th in the country for the roster and they had won 13 Big Ten games the last 4 years. He then proceeded to recruit worse and not improve the record.

Brohm took over a team whose average recruiting class ranking was 80th in the country and had won 3 Big Ten games in 4 years. He then proceeded to take them to two bowl games immediately (4 bowls in 6 years) and improved recruiting by a ton including one top 25 class.

Brohm is 10X the couch Hope was. Record doesn’t tell the whole story.

Wins and losses are the facts. Anything else is a story.

Wins and losses are the facts. Anything else is a story.
Nope. Wins and losses are the result. Everything else adds context. The context in this case resulted in more years, more fan support, and ultimately the best two year stretch in 20 years.

But you do you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT