ADVERTISEMENT

Bob lamey and Derrick Daly fired

Summy1

Junior
Jun 17, 2015
Freedom of speech is gone in our society. Daly used the n word over 30 years ago and got fired today. Laney actual quit before he got fired for resaying what Daly said 30 years ago.
Things keep getting worse and worse.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I don't think it is a speech issue as much as it a product of the modern progressive witch hunt mentality.

Can anyone justify the firing of Derek Daly? If you make an attempt, ask yourself if that is the world in which you want to live. A man was fired from his job, with no evidence other than 35 year old hearsay, because he allegedly told a story that used the word ******.

https://www.ibj.com/articles/70210-...in-latest-fallout-over-bob-lameys-racial-slur

Last edited:
Our society is going to hell. Most of us sit and watch as evil takes over more and more.

Was hoping this would get more discussion.
Is there anything we can do to prevent this from getting worse?

you know what if you don't want to get fired, don't use silly words. how hard is that?
Everyone has said something they shouldn't have said. It's human nature. Difference is we aren't in the media spot light.

It’s pretty simple, companies worry about their brand, they don’t want embarrassment and/or controversy. Either become so important you can’t be let go, or accept your fate.

Aren’t ya’ll the ones who believe companies should be able to do what they want and suffer the consequences if they are wrong? Boycott WISH if you want, 700 Club should have some good reruns on somewhere.

on one side of the argument:
like kescwi says, we can favor companies being able to hire/fire who they choose. if people dont like what the colts or wish tv does, they can choose not to work there or not give them business. let the consumers and businesses decide, rather than government.

on another side of the argument:
were there prior incidents or was this a first time complaint - how much does that factor? are the colts consistent in their punishments - has a player or coach said something offensive on/off field, and also fired?

not saying offensive things in the first place would completely prevent it. but also if something does happen, the next best thing could be having further adult discussion and apology - seems like coworkers/friends would have a desire to reconcile (especially if its one time & not a pattern).

Last edited:
Everyone has said something they shouldn't have said. It's human nature. Difference is we aren't in the media spot light.
I agree with you. If a kid says something they shouldn't have said when they were nine years old, then no one should hire them as an adult. It sure seems like this is the path the country is heading toward today.

Reactions: Summy1
Lilly is certainly free to do whatever they want with their advertising $....I just find pulling their sponsorship of a race car driver over a word his father uttered over 30 years ago seems a slight bit of an overreaction don't ya think? And yes that is a rhetorical question.

So now people are responsible for the words their relatives speak their entire lives? Before they were even born? Nope - no overreaction there. LOL!

And WISH fired Derek without even speaking with him? Seems fair, LOL!

And if you read Derek's version of what he said and why he said it, is there really anyone that could take offense to that? Again - rhetorical question.

In the end, I think its sad that our society continues to allow a singular word to divide this country - 150 years since slavery ended. Why do we give this word so much power? Are we going to be having this same conversation 150 years from now? Its almost as if people want to keep the races from getting along - to keep fanning the flames of racism. Even when it doesn't exist - as in this case.

Last edited:
you know what if you don't want to get fired, don't use silly words. how hard is that?
Really? So you're good with a person losing their ability to hold a job because of a single word they uttered in a private conversation 38 years ago? A word that had a totally different meaning to him because you know - he had just moved here from another country? Does that matter to you? Or are you one of those looking for a pound of flesh from every white person you come across? Still holding onto a lot of 150 year old anger that no one alive had anything to do with? Says a lot about you.

Lol... what a strange thread.
I'm left of center, and personally wouldn't have fired them, but am absolutely fine with businesses doing what they view to be in their best interests. AND, I am reading posts by many who, IMHO, are clearly right of center posting that the businesses are muzzling the individuals and decrying the businesses' ability to fire for what the posters believe insufficient cause.
LOL - It's a f'ed up world.

Do you remember the movie rush hour? Black character says what's up n to his black friend. Guy from another country walks behind him and says same thing not knowing better and the black guy gets upset.

Really? So you're good with a person losing their ability to hold a job because of a single word they uttered in a private conversation 38 years ago? A word that had a totally different meaning to him because you know - he had just moved here from another country? Does that matter to you? Or are you one of those looking for a pound of flesh from every white person you come across? Still holding onto a lot of 150 year old anger that no one alive had anything to do with? Says a lot about you.
don't expect sympathies from me. I have had rawer deals for much less. That's life. took it in the chin and moved on. I advise him to do the same. At least the people fired for using certain words have a measure of control over their predicament. If they don't want to end up there, don't say abominable things. Simple

don't expect sympathies from me. I have had rawer deals for much less. That's life. took it in the chin and moved on. I advise him to do the same. At least the people fired for using certain words have a measure of control over their predicament. If they don't want to end up there, don't say abominable things. Simple
A word so abominable that it can be heard throughout this country everyday in urban cities, schools, and radio.

Last edited:
A word so abominable that it can be heard throughout this country everyday in urban cities, schools, and radio.
Do you want to able to use the word without consequencea too? Whether it is abominable or not matters little, the guy could have avoided all of thia by not using it. He chose not to. I have no sympathies for him. I reserve my sympathies for people who are victims of circumstances over which they have little to no control.

Freedom of speech is gone in our society. Daly used the n word over 30 years ago and got fired today. Laney actual quit before he got fired for resaying what Daly said 30 years ago.
Things keep getting worse and worse.

Lamey
Was hoping this would get more discussion.
Is there anything we can do to prevent this from getting worse?

Laney got what he deserved. His incident happened this month - just because he was telling a story about something that happened a long time ago, doesn't make it "old". Someone was clearly offended as it was reported to HR. He knew what he was doing was not appropriate - he asked if the mics were off. At the end of the day, that's absolutely a fireable offense. As for this other guy - I don't know anything about him, nor do I know his HR record.

Keep in mind Trump has advocated for the firing of NFL players who silently protest - even just staying off the field. The important things the President of the United States should be focused on, right? He has also disinvited players and teams from coming to the White House because a player said he doesn't agree with Trump. Talk about embracing freedom of speech, right?

Lamey

Laney got what he deserved. His incident happened this month - just because he was telling a story about something that happened a long time ago, doesn't make it "old". Someone was clearly offended as it was reported to HR. He knew what he was doing was not appropriate - he asked if the mics were off. At the end of the day, that's absolutely a fireable offense. As for this other guy - I don't know anything about him, nor do I know his HR record.

Keep in mind Trump has advocated for the firing of NFL players who silently protest - even just staying off the field. The important things the President of the United States should be focused on, right? He has also disinvited players and teams from coming to the White House because a player said he doesn't agree with Trump. Talk about embracing freedom of speech, right?
What these guys said is wrong and offensive to many and firing them is the right thing to do. NFL players kneeling is offensive to many and firing them would be the right thing to do.

. As for this other guy - I don't know anything about him, nor do I know his HR record.

Its linked in this thread or otherwise easily accessible.

Why aren't you wanting to get the full story?

Why did you stop learning?

You aren't even addressing the point of the thread.

That is truly where your ideology drives the situation into the absurd.

This isn't about dunking on folks, there is a much greater problem at play here.

You also don't know anyone's HR record.

Last edited:
There is a lot of imagination surrounding this event.

1. Lamey (Colts radio guy, 78 years old) told a 40 year old story and used the N word because it was a quote.

2. He said it was during an interview. The person he is quoting is Derek Daly.

3. Daly says it wasn't an interview with Lamey but with someone else where he used the word as it was a word in a common saying from his country. He had recently arrived from Ireland. He said he was made aware of the fact the word is different and never used it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_in_the_woodpile

4. Daly gets fired..

5. Days before Daly was at his fellow Indy Car drivers wedding.

“Derek Daly was the first driver to befriend me in an environment I knew little about,” Ribbs said, recalling his arrival in England to race in Formula Ford in 1977.

“1984, Derek Daly and I visited our hero Muhammad Ali at his home in Los Angeles, and The Champ loved him. That same night after meeting with The Champ, we were attacked in a parking lot by some thugs that looked like skinheads, and we kicked the &*%$ out of them.

“[In] 1990, Derek Daly helped facilitate my first IndyCar deal with Raynor Racing. August 18th, 2018, one of my closest friends in a sport that has been very hostile to me was at my wedding, 41 years after meeting in the UK. That’s Derek Daly.

Since everyone insists on keeping score. Willy married a white woman.

5. His son, who was born 10 years after this, loses his sponsorship from Eli Lilly.

Add all this up...what are we doing?

Go start your own insulin factory!

You can't boycott Eli Lilly.

You can't choose another product.

You can't start your own Eli Lilly.

The weird thing about lefties cranking it to this is that it is a direct correlation to original sin. :p

Last edited:
Do you want to able to use the word without consequencea too? Whether it is abominable or not matters little, the guy could have avoided all of thia by not using it. He chose not to. I have no sympathies for him. I reserve my sympathies for people who are victims of circumstances over which they have little to no control.
So no repercussions for blacks who say the word?

So what % of black does one have to be to be able to say that word without there being repercussions? One of my daughter's good friends is 50% white and 50% black. Is it acceptable for her to use the word? Her father came from this country from Africa - he truly is African American - safe to assume he could use the word if he wanted to? What if my daughter's friend married a white guy and their children started using that word. Is it OK for a person who is 25% black to use that word? What happens when those children grow up and marry white people and have kids that are 12.5% black. Can they say the word without getting fired from their job? What is the % of blackness threshold where anyone above is free to use that word whenever they wish with no repercussions but who is below that % of blackness using that word is a racist?

I wonder if a Blackman calling white men crackers would get him fired?
Although there isn't a country called cracker. These is a country called Nigeria.

So what % of black does one have to be to be able to say that word without there being repercussions? One of my daughter's good friends is 50% white and 50% black. Is it acceptable for her to use the word? Her father came from this country from Africa - he truly is African American - safe to assume he could use the word if he wanted to? What if my daughter's friend married a white guy and their children started using that word. Is it OK for a person who is 25% black to use that word? What happens when those children grow up and marry white people and have kids that are 12.5% black. Can they say the word without getting fired from their job? What is the % of blackness threshold where anyone above is free to use that word whenever they wish with no repercussions but who is below that % of blackness using that word is a racist?

If society considers you black, you're black. Not really sure why you're trying to make this more complicated.

Why take away his sons sponsorship? How ridiculous is that? If they want to play that. Game then look at every athlete's father and see what dirt you come up with.

If society considers you black, you're black. Not really sure why you're trying to make this more complicated.
So what % of black does someone have to be to be considered black enough to use that word? Just answer with a percentage so we all know the rules of the game we're playing.

So what % of black does someone have to be to be considered black and therefore OK to use that word? Just answer with a percentage so we all know the rules of the game we're playing.
Why does it matter? Just assume you're not black enough to say it and you'll be okay.

Reactions: miksta
Why does it matter? Just assume you're not black enough to say it and you'll be okay.
It matters because people are being labeled racists and losing their jobs over this issue. Which of the below people can say the word without being fired?
s-SELAM-large640.jpg

s-LEE-large640.jpg

s-DEBORAHTHOMAS-large640.jpg

s-BLAY-large640.jpg

s-KANEESHAPARSARD-large640.jpg

s-SEANGETHERS-large640.jpg

s-DESTINYBIRDSONG-large640.jpg

s-GRIGGS-large640.jpg

s-BRETTRUSSELL-large640.jpg

s-SOSENASOLOMON-large640.jpg

s-JAMESSCOTT-large640.jpg

s-JOANNESTEWART-large640.jpg

s-KOKOZAUDITUSELASSIE-large640.jpg

s-KRISTINAROBINSON-large640.jpg

s-BIANYPEREZ-large640.jpg

images

wentworth-miller-600x624.jpg

meghan-markle-600x823.jpg

cash-warren-600x773.jpg

KingstonAlexAG66055226.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Summy1
It matters because people are being labeled racists and losing their jobs over this issue. Which of the below people can say the word without being fired
KingstonAlexAG66055226.jpg

You're really badly missing the point, and I'm pretty sure you just don't want to try to understand based on the incredibly disingenuous and inapplicable questions you're asking. Trying to create a % metric puts the onus on you to better define wtf you even mean by that. What are the quantifiable factors that you're including in this calculation, exactly? You're trying to be cute but really you're just digging a hole.

Also, FYI, questioning a black person's blackness is also pretty racist.

You're really badly missing the point, and I'm pretty sure you just don't want to try to understand.

Also, FYI, questioning a black person's blackness is also pretty racist.
The point I'm raising which you apparently are missing is where do we draw the line? And I'm not the one who would be questioning someone's blackness. I guess that would have to be done by the employer to determine whether that person was fired for using the word. You seem to be struggling with the rules of the game. So which of those people can use the word and which can't? What % black do you have to be to use the word with no consequence?

The point I'm raising which you apparently are missing is where do we draw the line? And I'm not the one who would be questioning someone's blackness. I guess that would have to be done by the employer to determine whether that person was fired for using the word. You seem to be struggling with the rules of the game. So which of those people can use the word and which can't? What % black do you have to be to use the word with no consequence?

If a person identifies as black and is accepted as black by the black community, they're black.

F*ck your percentage.

Also ridiculous the amount of sympathy shown toward someone who got fired but the skepticism shown to folks who get killed.

Get your damn priorities in line. One is a big societal issue...one just isn't. Full stop.

The HORROR of being called racist. Clearly a bigger deal than racism itself...

ADVERTISEMENT