ADVERTISEMENT

BleacherReport.com article

Mar 16, 2009
I found this interesting article..

"I've made this observation in a previous article, but it bears repeating. On a team's KenPom profile, there are sections called "four factors" and "miscellaneous components." Between those two sections, there are 18 total areas in which a team's national rank are given—things like block percentage, rebounding percentage and free-throw rate that I reference frequently.

Well, Purdue ranks in the top 150 nationally in all 18 categories, ranks in the top 50 in 10 of them and in the top 10 in five of them. As a result, Purdue is No. 6 in adjusted offensive efficiency and No. 5 in adjusted defensive efficiency. No other team ranks top-12 in both.

There's a lot of season left to be played, but only seven teams in the past decade have entered the NCAA tournament ranked in the top six nationally in both categories. Three of them (2012 Kentucky, 2010 Duke and 2008 Kansas) won the national championship. Two others (2015 Kentucky and 2008 UCLA) reached the Final Four. Expect Purdue to do the same."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-teams-best-built-for-march-madness-dominance

I have tended too bet on those teams with SR. guards ...

Beyond that, it appears crucial to have:
  • at least one multiyear starter in the backcourt
  • at least one player with a proven ability to catch fire from three-point range
  • a positive turnover margin
  • a bunch of quality wins and
  • at least one lengthy winning streak before the end of January.

Holy cow, had to scroll all the way down to #1 to read the write-up on Purdue - what an fantastic designation it is to be considered the team most built for tourney dominance. Main themes were: no weakness on this team, crazy team play and 3-point shooting, and the author calls Haas and Harms the best 1-2 punch at center he's ever seen!

The most impressive part of this team to me is that this has all been achieved through player development and coaching; MP had no burger boys or 5-stars to work with on this roster.

Recruiting prospects out there - are you seeing this? HELL-lo

Last edited:
Holy cow, had to scroll all the way down to #1 to read the write-up on Purdue - what an fantastic designation it is to be considered the team most built for tourney dominance. Main themes were: no weakness on this team, crazy team play and 3-point shooting, and the author calls Haas and Harms the best 1-2 punch at center he's ever seen!

The most impressive part of this team to me is that this has all been achieved through player development and coaching; MP had no burger boys or 5-stars to work with on this roster.

Recruiting prospects out there - are you seeing this? HELL-o
I have waited for this "no weakness" moment for 54 years. And I have never felt it. Our dependence on one player the last few years has bothered me, not that I haven't loved those players.

With that said, and accepting that everyone is screaming that we would be crazy to not take a 1-done, would a 1-done have helped this team this year.

NOW!!!!!!!!!!! .... next year .... bring 'em on!

Reactions: topurdue
There are a lot of one-and-dones that probably would not have made this team better. It's important that whoever we get recruiting still buys into the team philosophy. But that's not to say a big prospect like Swanigan wouldn't buy into the team philosophy - he was a great team player and you know the staff wouldn't pursue the wrong type of character. The big takeaway is: Purdue is where to come if you want to be developed.

ADVERTISEMENT