ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Big Ten RB numbers

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
I missed this last week. Maybe somebody posted it already.

I soooooo want this ESPN statistic system. As y'all know, I track stuff like distance of throws and targets, etc., for Purdue best I can, but to have an entire system to pull up this kind of stuff? AWESOME. Tell Alan he needs to pay up. ;)

Anyway, it said ... Markell Jones was the second-best running back in the Big Ten in the fourth quarter (min: 25 carries).

The best: Penn State RB Saquon Barkley (8.9 yards per carry; Power 5 rank -- No. 1 among RBs)

This number is so incredibly high that it deserves to be put into perspective. The Power 5's No. 2 back in that category, Notre Dame's C.J. Prosise, rushed for almost a full yard less (7.96). Barkley didn't post huge numbers in the fourth quarter against his last three opponents -- Michigan, Michigan State and Georgia -- but he averaged at least 7 yards a carry in the final quarter in more than half the games he played. Overall, Barkley rushed 48 times in the fourth quarter last season for 427 yards and four touchdowns. That's nearly 40 percent of his season rushing total.

The runner-up: Purdue RB Markell Jones (7.03 yards)
Take away Jones' 60-yard run against Virginia Tech or his 68-yard scamper against Michigan State, and his average falls below 5.6 yards per carry in the fourth quarter. That's one of the issues with measuring fourth-quarter average since the sample size is so small. In the Boilermakers' 12 games, Jones failed to average 5.6 yards a carry in all but two matchups (Virginia Tech and Michigan State). Still, Jones is a good running back and, although he's probably not the Big Ten's second-best fourth-quarter back, he's still an underrated player who deserves another look.

LINK: ESPN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.