ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Power Rankings

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Not surprising that Purdue is #1, but interesting to note the comment of "The only question is whether Purdue can continue improving or the team flat lines as it has in years past."

I think the question is the right one, i.e. will this team continue to improve, but I'm not sure that I've seen a Matt Painter team aside from last year flat line. The more typical MO is to drop a couple of winnable games early and figure things out around January. If this team can learn from it's mistakes in wins and continue to improve, look out. This team is playing hard and well but I don't think we've seen the best from a lot of Purdue's players.

Link: 12/12 Big Ten Power Rankings

Last edited:
I hate to type this, but I think IU is too low. I would put them ahead of Illinois and Maryland right now. Yes, they looked over matched at times against Arizona, but so will a lot of teams this year. AZ is very good. Illinois looked completely disinterested against PSU and Maryland has dropped 2 straight. Otherwise I didn't have any arguments against this power ranking.

I hate to type this, but I think IU is too low. I would put them ahead of Illinois and Maryland right now. Yes, they looked over matched at times against Arizona, but so will a lot of teams this year. AZ is very good. Illinois looked completely disinterested against PSU and Maryland has dropped 2 straight. Otherwise I didn't have any arguments against this power ranking.
Definitely not too low. Things may change but 5 of their 8 wins are quad 4 and they are only 1-2 in quad 1 games.

Purdue and Wisconsin are the clear top 2 so far. They will only get better. Teams like IU are veteran heavy and I dont see how they get much better throughout the season. Illinois better hope Luke Goode is their savior when he comes back because they should be better than what they're showing.

iu will get better if that hood kid can play. I think Purdue will get better. Zach and the freshmen get better every game. Get Gillis back and we are really deep and physical.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I think the whole conference is likely to be a dog fight again this year. I would agree that aside from Purdue, the only known quantity at this point is IU and I'd be shocked if they finish outside of the top three or four. I think there are eight or nine other teams that have a realistic shot to finish in the top four.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Not surprising that Purdue is #1, but interesting to note the comment of "The only question is whether Purdue can continue improving or the team flat lines as it has in years past."

I think the question is the right one, i.e. will this team continue to improve, but I'm not sure that I've seen a Matt Painter team aside from last year flat line. The more typical MO is to drop a couple of winnable games early and figure things out around January. If this team can learn from it's mistakes in wins and continue to improve, look out. This team is playing hard and well but I don't think we've seen the best from a lot of Purdue's players.

Link: 12/12 Big Ten Power Rankings
Painter, post that comment in the locker room.

Painter, post that comment in the locker room.
I've heard a lot of 'Purdue is the best team right now' from TV talking heads, with the implication that this team is out in front of the pack but others are likely to catch up and surpass.

That may be true and this team is certainly advanced in terms of playing hard and playing together, but it seems to me that there is still a lot of potential upside given the number of folks who are still new or in new roles. I think many of the TV folks still can't get their heads around how a team that's not loaded with five stars can compete at a high level.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I've heard a lot of 'Purdue is the best team right now' from TV talking heads, with the implication that this team is out in front of the pack but others are likely to catch up and surpass.

That may be true and this team is certainly advanced in terms of playing hard and playing together, but it seems to me that there is still a lot of potential upside given the number of folks who are still new or in new roles. I think many of the TV folks still can't get their heads around how a team that's not loaded with five stars can compete at a high level.

We are over ranked right now, regardless of the talking heads blabber.

Great team for sure, potential B10 champ, yes. Number 1? Nahh nimo.

Can be exploited in P&R. Need better team 3 pt shooting, and point guard, while a tough dude, seems he can be disrupted due to his stature.... especially when refs won't call obvious foul harassment. Rebounding advantage can be taken away by poor referereeing. Passing out of post needs improvement. Need stronger hands underneath.

Last edited:
We are over ranked right now, regardless of the talking heads blabber.

Great team for sure, potential B10 champ, yes. Number 1? Nahh nimo.

Can be exploited in P&R. Need better team 3 pt shooting, and point guard, while a tough dude, seems he can be disrupted due to his stature.... especially when refs won't call obvious foul harassment. Rebounding advantage can be taken away by poor referereeing. Passing out of post needs improvement. Need stronger hands underneath.
Did you call in to Painter’s Talk Show this week by chance???:cool:

Reactions: PurdueDave
ADVERTISEMENT