ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

The most surprising thing about Edey’s season is how good he is defensively. He is doing everything that Painter asks and he is doing it well within the system. There have been times that he has had to pick up a guard and has done a credible job. He affects shots while not overcommitting and giving up a bunch of easy rebounds. He also does it all without fouling much.
Edey has improved so much in every aspect of his game this year. You can tell he put a ton of work in and he listens to the coaches.

The most surprising thing about Edey’s season is how good he is defensively. He is doing everything that Painter asks and he is doing it well within the system. There have been times that he has had to pick up a guard and has done a credible job. He affects shots while not overcommitting and giving up a bunch of easy rebounds. He also does it all without fouling much.
It also helps when you can throw dudes to the ground and it's a foul on them... Which is just dirty.

Interesting that you are avoiding the early NCAA v NIT issue as to who should be recognized as the national champion back then. I must assume that you are unable to refute the point made. You come here to debate but then flee when losing the argument. That is the mark of a coward.

Interesting that you are avoiding the early NCAA v NIT issue as to who should be recognized as the national champion back then. I must assume that you are unable to refute the point made. You come here to debate but then flee when losing the argument. That is the mark of a coward.
Well it's pretty simple. It's the one the NCAA recognizes as the NCAA national champion. It isn't rocket science.

You are making the mistake of trying to reason with this high school kid. It's hilarious that he really believes he's making valid points. He's really struggling with Purdue's success this season.

So back in the 1940s, when the NCAA would not allow many teams to even attempt to play in the tournament, they decided that their winner would be national champion despite the fact that the other tournament was open to everybody and whose champion would not be recognized. And the second tournament had greater geographic representation. That is the most ridiculous and self-serving post made on this board today and makes little to no sense. Congrats.

Why do we allow this useless loser on here? We have to listen to a Walmart Hoosier crow about shit no one cares about and his fake ass rankings? Ban this troll already!

UNC and Kansas fans get laughed at too trying to claim Helms titles.

And sure we have W/L and Qs... What helps Indiana? Only 1 loss outside of Q1. Rutgers? 3. Including a Q3 loss. Illinois? Same boat as Indiana which is why IU and Illinois are considered the highest seeds outside of Purdue right now.
And some time in the near future the NCAA NC, based on a one and done tournament, will be considered obsolete.
The Helms system at least considered the total body of work.
The real champion will be decided by a best of series.
At minimum a double elimination bracket should be considered.

Reactions: tjreese
This guy isn’t Trojan. This guy says he never went to IU. Style is totally different and Trojan will tell you who he is and just ramble on until he gets banned again.
I honestly never knew that Trojan actually gave out his name. When was this???

I honestly never knew that Trojan actually gave out his name. When was this???
He has always been open about who he is with his other names. I don’t think he has ever said exactly who he is, although he is known to dox others so beware.

He has always been open about who he is with his other names. I don’t think he has ever said exactly who he is, although he is known to dox others so beware.
Gotcha, I'm really not to worried about him trying to "dox"me as I have nothing to hide or care about. I do appreciate the heads up though, Thanks!

He's did it against Indiana several times when Archie was here.
not what anyone would actually call a zone. IU had a player Purdue didn't think would hurt them on the perimeter and AJ just defended the lane with the other four playing man on perimeter threats. Matt has shown zone in ONE year and that was either when Kendall was a freshman or soph for a few games. Against that zone Webber and Kansas state detroyed the zone on short corner and Northern Florida and such beat Purdue on a last second or possession shot when teh trigger man stepped in bounds and got a return pass for baseline shot all due to the way the big defended the triggerman on out of bounds and then returned to his area leaving the triggerman open due to a previous player pulling the down side of that zone forward.

Check the year Kansas State and Northern Florida??? beat Purdue and that was the year Matt tried some 2-3 that was REALLY spread out thinking Purdue's length would cover. Any video on those games will verify short corner issues with KSU and triggerman in Northern Florida I think was the team. Matt that year spent some time with Basil ( @proudopete ) in teh summer going over a zone defense

A problem that I have with IU fans in general, our "friend" here is a representative example, is that they seem to think that by simple declaration, absent data or logic, that their view be considered as true and accepted by others. That sort of attitude is usually characterized as despotic. I seem to recall that a revolution was fought that created this country that totally rejected that mindset.

Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
Who laughs at them? The media fully accepts these championships.
I claim it as a national championship. What I dispute is IU claiming all of their NCAA titles as national championships. They were not recognized as such, back when the NCAA was considered the minor tourney where the runners-up teams played as consultation.

Says who, other than you? And by what standard are they worthless? That is simply your declaration. Who put you in charge of that judgment that must be accepted?

Until the early/mid-1960s, the NIT was more prestigious. The NCAA had to pass a rule demanding that a team accept their bid vs an NIT bid, else they could not play in another post-season tournament. In the 1940s and 1950s, the NIT was played in NYC vs the NCAA is other cities. Which tournament got the most media attention? Here's a hint: when Loyola of Chicago won the NCAA in the early 1960s, the game was not even shown live in Chicago let alone elsewhere. Like it or not, NYC is the premier media center in America.

Why is 1939 the cutoff? On what basis is this determined? If you are going to claim that it is because at that point the national championship was decided via tournament, then wouldn't that rule also be applied to other sports? If so, then all those football championships that Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Minnesota, PSU, OSU, USC, ND and Army won prior to the BCS creation (and which were all voted) are no longer viable and therefore do not count? Try selling that claim to those schools.
Many IU media suggested the CommissionersTourney in 72 a more prestigious tourney than the NCAA

Well it's pretty simple. It's the one the NCAA recognizes as the NCAA national champion. It isn't rocket science.
Coming back post game to say that I’ve changed my opinion on TJD. While he is clearly not as impactful as Edey, my comment that regardless of stats, he doesn’t play winning basketball, is no longer true.

I though he played very well, made good decisions and passes and overall had good body language and seemed like a good teammate and leader.

Reactions: IMSKRONG
Coming back post game to say that I’ve changed my opinion on TJD. While he is clearly not as impactful as Edey, my comment that regardless of stats, he doesn’t play winning basketball, is no longer true.

I though he played very well, made good decisions and passes and overall had good body language and seemed like a good teammate and leader.
Going after Mason was wrong...even if it did have Mason laughing and pointing at him. On another court it might have been a T. What should be a concern and never happened under Knight was another confrontation with another team. I think this is four games in a row. Nothing wrong with stepping in to break up two players, but that is much different than going after one that clearly had his hand on the ball and had no history of such. X wasn't even playing.

Howard has brought a bit of thug life (course he says it was the street he grew up on) into the Big from the NBA and the Big doesn't need it. Knights teams competed...played hard...gave it their all, but I can't recall them looking to show the world they were the tough guy. Perhaps it was the letter to TJD which was wrong...okay show how tough you are by winning and doing well...but no more needless confrontations. Had Mason not been laughing at him and it escalated, not only could there have been a physical injury, but both teams could have lost a player and Purdue would have easily won...

Edeys size is just a force. Not that he isn't good, he's clearly gotten way better since arriving at Purdue and getting more minutes is huge. But his size makes a massive difference. Not much Indiana can do about it. Or really any other team. He might have the softest touch in college basketball.

Going after Mason was wrong...even if it did have Mason laughing and pointing at him. On another court it might have been a T. What should be a concern and never happened under Knight was another confrontation with another team. I think this is four games in a row. Nothing wrong with stepping in to break up two players, but that is much different than going after one that clearly had his hand on the ball and had no history of such. X wasn't even playing.

Howard has brought a bit of thug life (course he says it was the street he grew up on) into the Big from the NBA and the Big doesn't need it. Knights teams competed...played hard...gave it their all, but I can't recall them looking to show the world they were the tough guy. Perhaps it was the letter to TJD which was wrong...okay show how tough you are by winning and doing well...but no more needless confrontations. Had Mason not been laughing at him and it escalated, not only could there have been a physical injury, but both teams could have lost a player and Purdue would have easily won...
TJD had every right to back up his teammate after a foul that could have easily hurt him. It wasn't much different than the foul that hurt Galloway last season. TJD just backed it up, Gillis didn't.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
TJD had every right to back up his teammate after a foul that could have easily hurt him. It wasn't much different than the foul that hurt Galloway last season. TJD just backed it up, Gillis didn't.
20 years ago nobody would have thought a thing of Mason’s foul. It was pretty much expected that if you are going to foul you make sure you don’t give up the basket too.

20 years ago nobody would have thought a thing of Mason’s foul. It was pretty much expected that if you are going to foul you make sure you don’t give up the basket too.
And that's how these refs treated it.

Guys playing hard and showing emotion -- nothing escalated to a problem. So--

No free throw shooting contest in which the refs over-complicated and took the fun and flow out of the game.
Common foul. Play on.

He absolutely should have been T’d up. It’s a joke that he wasn’t, but aside from the bump being undisciplined it didn’t bother me, he was standing up for his guy.

And that's how these refs treated it.

Guys playing hard and showing emotion -- nothing escalated to a problem. So--

No free throw shooting contest in which the refs over-complicated and took the fun and flow out of the game.
Common foul. Play on.
Yeah, getting in a guys face and then chest bumping him is an automatic T in any other scenario.

Yup, nothing wrong with it, I actually respect it but the chest bump is an automatic T. Foul was hard but clean according to the rule book.

Reactions: z_one
Hilarious thing is Mason got mostly ball. Common foul. It just looked awkward. Mason throws 90mph. He would crumple TJD. Poser boy wants nothing of Mason. Go chest bump your dog.

problem was he clearly had the ball. The "back up" with TJD going after Mason was clearly a problem. What happens if Mason who has never been chippy with an opponent treats TJD as TJD treated Mason? Do you really think that is a good situation? Do you really think Purdue would be the loser in that situation? Course non of this also explains Miller Koop with Northwestern I think it was. Reality is that IU has been a bit chippy since TJD got the letter with those that never wrote the letter. The Big since before you were born (Minny & OSU 72) has been a tough league...and a physical league, but unaware of players going out of their way to make something out of something that doesn't exist.

It's over...its done...it doesn't matter I hope it doesn't escalate. I understand physical play...particularly on defense all over teh court. Probably can't coach effective D without it. Also before you were born (1966) I was 10 feet away in Hinkle from a fight that lasted maybe a second or two most. Bill Mauck (Butler) and Roger Blaylock (Purdue) got into it. Mauck got a broken nose and Blaylock got a broken leg and so having a bit of history my understandings may be a bit different than someone without much history. I tried searching for the article that the Internet has since buried that is an inherent problem few understand with popularity from social media words rising to the top of searches.

Edeys size is just a force. Not that he isn't good, he's clearly gotten way better since arriving at Purdue and getting more minutes is huge. But his size makes a massive difference. Not much Indiana can do about it. Or really any other team. He might have the softest touch in college basketball.
You're a moron. That's pretty much the same excuse that can be used for any player, in almost any sport.
If Shaq wasn't so big and strong, he wouldn't have been that good.
If Aaron Judge wasn't so big, he probably wouldn't hit 60 home runs.
If Wayne Gretzky wasn't such a good stick handler, he'd have been an average hockey player.
If Usain Bolt weren't so fast, he wouldn't have been that good of a sprinter.

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
Davis is a punk. He'll get his in Mackey. Will probably quit like Langford did.

He absolutely should have been T’d up. It’s a joke that he wasn’t, but aside from the bump being undisciplined it didn’t bother me, he was standing up for his guy.
If he should have been T'd, then the obvious question is why and how would that translate to standing up for a guy that was never needed to stand up for? Mason was all over the ball and TJD went out of his way to get chippy and Mason laughed at him and pointed to him seeing the joke it was. Mason was never threatening to anyone. It's over and nobody got hurt because it didn't escalate, but the "look" was not a favorable look as was Miller Koop a couple games before.

You're a moron. That's pretty much the same excuse that can be used for any player, in almost any sport.
If Wayne Gretzky wasn't such a good stick handler, he'd have been an average hockey player.
Uhh... Duh? Thanks for stating a bunch of obvious facts... Except probably Judge. I don't think his size has much to do about hitting a baseball considering Barry Bonds, Sosa, McGuire etc compared to him.

Edey is damn good. CMP even mentioned he is way more agile than other players that size. Tacko Fall was not in the running for NPOY at Central Florida (half the stats in a weaker conference). I loved Haas but he would have a hard time with Edey.

Reactions: Poprudy
Davis is a punk. He'll get his in Mackey. Will probably quit like Langford did.
Ooooh. Internet tough guy!

First of all, his last name is Jackson-Davis, not "Davis." Chief Jackson would likely want you to understand that, because he's damn proud of the young man he helped to raise.

And while we're at it, here's another point of view on that "punk" who "will get his" and "will probably quit.":

"Trayce is fabulous. Just a great person, great player. We were on him early and put a lot of time into him. When he made moves and did stuff our guys were bouncing off of him. I mean, it was impressive... He's got a bright future. He's fabulous. And he's a super, super person. When Caleb Swanigan passed away he reached out to me. Sent me a text too. Just goes to show you what's inside of him.”

There's your quitter punk who will get his.

ADVERTISEMENT