ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

Some of us have a low tolerance for bullshit. You and skrongy sling a lot of it. It's not hate, Stop trying to make yourself a martyr.
It’s not just me you diss! I could leave the board for a week and certain members of this board would find somebody new to pick on, diss and harass! That’s what you do! If you don’t like somebody’s take, rather than engaging in conversation you revert to name calling. Especially if the poster is new or roots for a different team. It’s as if you build a wall and nobody can post about any other team or god forbid say anything negative about the team.

I suggested Gillis might be better coming off the bench. I also said Jenkins is a sg and not really a pg. I also suggested if a freshman was good enough Painter will start them. I also suggested if a highly hyped player does not not start and sees no future of ever starting, he will likely transfer. But I guess that was all just BS.

Well I didn't graduate from college 10 years ago, HS yes. I was 8 when Indiana made their Final Four run in 2002. It was amazing. I think it'd be good for Purdue fans. Y'all have a lot of built up hate. Hard for y'all to appreciate the entire college basketball landscape.
Did you graduate from iu?

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
No one considers IU a Blue Blood nowadays. And as long as Matt Painter is at Purdue there's no going back to it.
The only people who believe (or at least say) that iu is a blue blood are the old people pining for Bobby Knight to return as coach.

Reactions: drewjin
Here's something that I think IU and Purdue fans can and should agree on:

Currently, with Purdue and IU the top two teams in the B1G, both per polls and KenPom-style analytics, the State of Indiana is back to kicking a$$ in college hoops in a way that hasn't happened in 25-ish years. And that's a very good thing.

Additionally, with what I read on here about:
  • Woody's inferior coaching
  • Purdue's coronation as the State's dominant program
  • Edey being superior to TJD
  • IU still without our pre-season All-B1G point guard
  • Braden Smith clearly out-performing IU's freshman guard, Jalen Hood-Schifino
--unless you guys want to "pre-blame" the referees, those factors would lead me to believe that there is a universal take here that Purdue should coast easily in Assembly Hall this coming weekend ;)

I’ve lived in 22 states. People always believe the team in their state is better than it is. I currently live in Ohio. OSU fans believe their basketball team is as good as their football team.

When it comes to conversations about blue bloods, the names Kansas, Kentucky, Duke and North Carolina come up a lot.

The problem with blue bloods is they haven’t done anything lately and they are no longer head and heals better than their competitors. Is Gonzaga considered a blue blood? No. Is Alabama or Houston considered a blue blood? No.

We are beginning to see the death of the old blue bloods as parity takes over college basketball. Look at the BIG 10. We have 12 of 14 teams with winning records. And Nebraska beat Creighton.

Indiana had a nice run in the 70’s. They used to be considered as one of the best soccer and swimming teams as well. And their track team was pretty good.

UW was once considered one of the blue bloods of hockey. And Iowa was the best at wrestling . UCONN and Tennessee were the best in women’s basketball . They do not enjoy the dominance they once had.

The age of the blue blood is gone. Long live parity!

Currently, with Purdue and IU the top two teams in the B1G, both per polls and KenPom-style analytics, the State of Indiana is back to kicking a$$ in college hoops in a way that hasn't happened in 25-ish years. And that's a very good thing.

--unless you guys want to "pre-blame" the referees, those factors would lead me to believe that there is a universal take here that Purdue should coast easily in Assembly Hall this coming weekend ;)
I would say that most Purdue fans consider @IU the toughest game remaining on Purdue’s schedule and don’t take the game for granted at all. This is to take nothing away from the Boilers who are deserving of their #1 ranking at this time, but Assembly Hall is never an easy place for Purdue to win.

I would say that most Purdue fans consider @IU the toughest game remaining on Purdue’s schedule and don’t take the game for granted at all. This is to take nothing away from the Boilers who are deserving of their #1 ranking at this time, but Assembly Hall is never an easy place for Purdue to win.

This ^ ^ ^

giphy.gif

Well sure. But Minnesota football isn't the brand that Indiana basketball is. Now is it?
Very similar brand but Minny is a much larger school. Lots of hillbilly fans in remote reaches of the state that never graduated from HS.

University of Chicago football.
don't forget Princeton football.

Then of course there is the Purdue basketball teams coached by Piggy Lambert that put Indiana basketball on the map with the national championship in 1932. It was also nice of Purdue to step aside and allow IU to play in and win their first NCAA tournament. Yep you just can't erase history. Unless you are first you are last.

Reactions: tjreese
I currently live in Ohio. OSU fans believe their basketball team is as good as their football team.

After having seen Indiana play OSU both in football and basketball during the past few years , I can assure you without any doubt that they are really wrong on that one!

It’s not just me you diss! I could leave the board for a week and certain members of this board would find somebody new to pick on, diss and harass! That’s what you do! If you don’t like somebody’s take, rather than engaging in conversation you revert to name calling. Especially if the poster is new or roots for a different team. It’s as if you build a wall and nobody can post about any other team or god forbid say anything negative about the team.

I suggested Gillis might be better coming off the bench. I also said Jenkins is a sg and not really a pg. I also suggested if a freshman was good enough Painter will start them. I also suggested if a highly hyped player does not not start and sees no future of ever starting, he will likely transfer. But I guess that was all just BS.
I don't think I know anyone who so constantly and so pathetically portrays themselves as an innocent victim because people don't agree with them over the most insignificant topics. So fragile, like a snowflake.

Reactions: Cleanface
After having seen Indiana play OSU both in football and basketball during the past few years , I can assure you without any doubt that they are really wrong on that one!
Most OSU fans don't even remember that they have a basketball team unless they make the tournament. Many are Duke bb fans.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM

I'm not sure I understand your point. IU fans have stated the same bullet points you posted. Are you agreeing with them, or disagreeing?

Based on this and some past posts, I am guessing you are very young, have a paid subscription to the Indy Star, and have rarely been outside of the state of Indiana. Do you really believe that even in states as close as Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan, that people think of Indiana basketball as a "brand"?
I am young. Definitely won't waste money on the Indy Star. But considering IU has a top 5 alumni base and easily Top 10 in profit every year as a basketball program... Yet it's still a big brand.

Most OSU fans don't even remember that they have a basketball team unless they make the tournament. Many are Duke bb fans.
The same can be said for IU fans. When September rolls around that jacket gets reversed to the ND side. 😉

I am young. Definitely won't waste money on the Indy Star. But considering IU has a top 5 alumni base and easily Top 10 in profit every year as a basketball program... Yet it's still a big brand.
You included the caveat. It's a big brand among the alumni base, as it should be.

If that is your standard, then there are 10 Blue Bloods. I don't agree with that definition, so I don't care enough to look up who those 10 are.

POTFH. I hope they never win another game....in any sport.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Right now, Edey is the runaway favorite for NPOY. How on earth could he finish second to anyone in the BIG for CPOY given that? That's not going to happen as long as Zach stays healthy.

Reactions: drewjin
You included the caveat. It's a big brand among the alumni base, as it should be.

If that is your standard, then there are 10 Blue Bloods. I don't agree with that definition, so I don't care enough to look up who those 10 are.
The normal top teams of profit are Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Indiana. Louisville, when good, murders everyone. It isn't close since they moved to the Yum! center. Add in being Top 10 in wins and 5 national titles. Those being in 4 different decades. Really starting from the beginning with the first being the 2nd ever national title game ever played. Even if you want to throw in a weird but neat fact that IU was the first to use glass backboards. Just grandfathered in and hopefully they get back to being elite. Just takes the right coach. Duke and UNC are trying to see if they have the right coaches right now after HOFers retired. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Kansas has done very well hiring. Kentucky has done well hiring. UCLA may have made a good hire. Can't have dud coaches like Archie leading the program.

The normal top teams of profit are Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas and Indiana. Louisville, when good, murders everyone. It isn't close since they moved to the Yum! center. Add in being Top 10 in wins and 5 national titles. Those being in 4 different decades. Really starting from the beginning with the first being the 2nd ever national title game ever played. Even if you want to throw in a weird but neat fact that IU was the first to use glass backboards. Just grandfathered in and hopefully they get back to being elite. Just takes the right coach. Duke and UNC are trying to see if they have the right coaches right now after HOFers retired. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Kansas has done very well hiring. Kentucky has done well hiring. UCLA may have made a good hire. Can't have dud coaches like Archie leading the program.
IU is on its fifth coach since Knight. Maybe after 20 some years it’s time to admit y’all will never find another.

But one can “hope” every five years amirite?
Gotta have a little hope right? Purdue fans have been hoping to reach the promise fan for much longer. I would like to witness just one. Almost had it in 2002 and that was a very fun run with great memories.

Gotta have a little hope right? Purdue fans have been hoping to reach the promise fan for much longer. I would like to witness just one. Almost had it in 2002 and that was a very fun run with great memories.
I can give some advice. Hire a better coach.

That is very possible. It isn't exactly an easy thing to replace the greatest coach of all time.
If you want to talk about old dusty banners you might want to do some research. I think Bobby and the rest were a bit shy of 10. You do know IU only played in that second ever tourney because Purdue opted not to go in favor of academics. At that time the NIT was a bigger deal and the post season was more of an exhibition. Of course by this time Purdue had already won the NC, John Wooden was NPOY, and Ward Lambert was pioneering the up tempo basketball we all love today but yeah I guess IU is a blueblood based on history.

Reactions: tjreese
UNC has already shown they can do it, although they went through two guys over six years before landing on Williams. Kansas has had four coaches in 60 years, UK has been up and down but generally very good. Duke will be interesting.

Agree that basketball is a far, far distant second to football at OSU. Fan expectations are high because OSU has all the money and resources a coach could want and fans in Columbus will show up to support a winner in any sport (WVB arena rocks when they’re good), but the MBB stadium lacks any form of atmosphere and crowds are so-so unless they’re elite.

Well sure. But Minnesota football isn't the brand that Indiana basketball is. Now is it?
They are not, because Minnehaha football has been ringing up winning records in conference lately. As you say, two different brands altogether.

Oddly enough, Edey and TJD shared B1G Player of the Week. Which I didn't even know they did.

Edey: 28.5ppg, 11rpg, 2apg, 1.5spg, 1.5bpg

TJD: 21.5ppg, 15.5rpg, 4apg, 0.5spg, 4bpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT