ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Media deal getting closer…

So I won't even need cable to possibly watch most Purdue games? Would much rather just get BTN+ if I could watch football games there too, especially since there will always be 1 or 2 MBB games there.

So I won't even need cable to possibly watch most Purdue games? Would much rather just get BTN+ if I could watch football games there too, especially since there will always be 1 or 2 MBB games there.
Sounds like there might be games on FS1 and FS2, BTN, and Peacock premium ? Maybe CBS Sports ?

Oh how I would love to see espn get shut out
While appreciative of the sentiment...for Purdue (and fans of Purdue), it is not a good thing.

ESPN has the largest platform, and, Game Day and all else that goes with it...it provides by far the best college football coverage.

NBC is awful, and, will not even be NBC in large part (it will be the even worse Peacock).

CBS is maybe a step up from ABC, although ABC has seemingly done a nice job in general.

It is all about money, so, nobody cares about actual coverage or the quality (or lack) of it.
Not sure what things would look like for basketball, but, again...

It’s about time slots. The B1G will eat up most of them. This is why they went after the largest markets. It might take awhile but this is probably a good thing. B1G games all day long. Will help with the eventual west coast integration. The SEC won’t have the monopoly/luxury of good time slots anymore. This most certainty involves ND at some point.

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
It’s about time slots. The B1G will eat up most of them. This is why they went after the largest markets. It might take awhile but this is probably a good thing. B1G games all day long. Will help with the eventual west coast integration. The SEC won’t have the monopoly/luxury of good time slots anymore. This most certainty involves ND at some point.
The B1G already had the time slots, and, with the addition of USC and UCLA, they would still have them. They already had Noon on ESPN, 3:30 on National TV (ABC) and Prime Time game as well...so, they are not gaining anything in that regard, and, they are moving to lousy networks with lousy coverage.

All day long and Thursday-Friday prime time.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The B1G already had the time slots, and, with the addition of USC and UCLA, they would still have them. They already had Noon on ESPN, 3:30 on National TV (ABC) and Prime Time game as well...so, they are not gaining anything in that regard, and, they are moving to lousy networks with lousy coverage.
ESPN is losing market share. They aren’t worth what they used to be.
Considering that ESPN is now in 24% FEWER homes than it was a decade ago.... it has fallen to somewhere around 75,000,000 .... To put that in perspective, in 1999 the old Speedvision Network was available in 75 million homes and, at the time, that was at least 1/3 fewer HH's than ESPN. ESPN has been taking a slow, painful fall for some time now....

I think it's a no-brainer for the B1G to let ESPN leave the room.... The combination(s) of FOX, NBC and/or CBS creates a much wider variety of providers and they won't be competing directly with the SEC for the premium time slots.

All day long and Thursday-Friday prime time.
ESPN is getting less and less valuable even though they have the SEC but the B1G has actually beat the SEC in viewership. They will continue to be worth more moving forward. I’ve seen some rumors the deal is 150 billion plus. Getting very interesting. The B1G is actually positioning itself in a better spot money wise than the SEC. Hopefully it transitions onto the field.

ESPN is getting less and less valuable even though they have the SEC but the B1G has actually beat the SEC in viewership. They will continue to be worth more moving forward. I’ve seen some rumors the deal is 150 billion plus. Getting very interesting. The B1G is actually positioning itself in a better spot money wise than the SEC. Hopefully it transitions onto the field.
I posted this over on the IU board a while ago with ESPN in the mix, here's a revision. If you look at 7 games a weekend (2 teams off each week), consider

1 Thursday Prime Time game (Fox, NBC or CBS)
1 Friday Prime Time game (FOX, NBC or CBS)
1 Saturday noon game (FOX, NBC, CBS)
1 Saturday 3:00 p.m. game (FS1, FS2)
1 Saturday Prime time (NBC, CBS, Fox)
1 Saturday west coast game (NBC, CBS, Fox)
1 Saturday afternoon game on FS1 or 2

Each network (not counting FS1&2) gets at least 2 games a week and one gets 3. Taking it one step further as to game quality and large fan base viewership, you have

OSU-PSU
PSU-MI
USC-OSU
USC-MI
USC-PSU
USC-MSU
MSU-OSU
MSU-MI
(and I won't count it, but high on entertainment value, PU-OSU)

Rivalry
MSU-PSU
OSU-MI
USC-UCLA

That gives you 9 top 20 team matchups in a 9 game conference schedule. second tier games (strong regional pull and fanbase) are:

NEB-IOWA
IOWA-MINN
NEB-WIS
WIS-MINN
WIS-IOWA

Throw in the upset alert Cinderella team making a late season run at the conference title and you add one or two games that will consistently draw the eyeballs. I know that USC won't play the slate above every year, but even if it's just 2-3 of those teams you end up with a dozen or more good to great TV games, and that's not even counting non-conference matchups.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I posted this over on the IU board a while ago with ESPN in the mix, here's a revision. If you look at 7 games a weekend (2 teams off each week), consider

1 Thursday Prime Time game (Fox, NBC or CBS)
1 Friday Prime Time game (FOX, NBC or CBS)
1 Saturday noon game (FOX, NBC, CBS)
1 Saturday 3:00 p.m. game (FS1, FS2)
1 Saturday Prime time (NBC, CBS, Fox)
1 Saturday west coast game (NBC, CBS, Fox)
1 Saturday afternoon game on FS1 or 2

Each network (not counting FS1&2) gets at least 2 games a week and one gets 3. Taking it one step further as to game quality and large fan base viewership, you have

OSU-PSU
PSU-MI
USC-OSU
USC-MI
USC-PSU
USC-MSU
MSU-OSU
MSU-MI
(and I won't count it, but high on entertainment value, PU-OSU)

Rivalry
MSU-PSU
OSU-MI
USC-UCLA

That gives you 9 top 20 team matchups in a 9 game conference schedule. second tier games (strong regional pull and fanbase) are:

NEB-IOWA
IOWA-MINN
NEB-WIS
WIS-MINN
WIS-IOWA

Throw in the upset alert Cinderella team making a late season run at the conference title and you add one or two games that will consistently draw the eyeballs. I know that USC won't play the slate above every year, but even if it's just 2-3 of those teams you end up with a dozen or more good to great TV games, and that's not even counting non-conference matchups.
ESPN didn’t have the money to get everything it wants. The B1G just priced ESPN out of market.

Reactions: Tommaker
for $10/month next day replays, btn+ is a good option. especially if you usually aren't able to watch live anyway.

this season purdue should have all but 1 game on btn+.
the at syracuse game on espn2 may not be included (all conference and home non-conf. games are included).

Reactions: Hausta01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT