ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten being down

Sep 22, 2017
For years now it seems like "experts" have been claiming the Big is down.... that being said this year I really do believe them.

I'd be shocked to see Purdue lose more than 2 or 3 games throughout the rest of the Big Ten season. I'm assuming we will have one unexpected loss and then possibly lose to M State in East Lansing.

Our non-conference schedule was great so I'm not worried about the Big affecting our seeding but it would be nice to play more elite teams down the stretch to really know how good we are.

I believe our games against Michigan (again), Ohio State and Michigan State will be a good enough gauge to see how we are doing. There is always the BTT too where we might possibly play one or more of these 3 again. We have earned our ranking and so I have no doubt we are pretty dang good! I do think the Big Ten is down as a whole, but the top 4 teams I think are pretty talented and can play with anybody in the Country. Not saying they are the best 4 teams in the Country or anything, (well Purdue maybe :)) but nobody is going to whip any 4 of these teams. I think the severity of the Big Ten season and playing on the road will keep us battle tested and ready for the future! Boiler Up!

I've seen predictions of only 5 B10 teams in the NCAA. We certainly benefit from a good preseason line up. The UT loss isn't looking as bad now, so all in all we're in good shape for a #2 at least

Last edited:
I've seen predictions of only 5 B10 teams in the NCAA. We certainly benefit from a good preseason line up. The UT loss isn't looking as bad now, so all in all we're in good shape for a #2 at least

To me it looks like 4 likely tourney teams and Maryland destined for the bubble.

Reactions: chiboiler7
The perception of the B1G being down comes from a lot of directions, and many of them are entirely valid.

Northwestern has been a complete no-show after starting the season in almost every top-20.

Minnesota was struggling to live up to expectations even before losing Coffey and Lynch.

The B1G went 3-11 in the ACC Challenge, maybe the highest-profile event of the entire non-conference season. There's simply no way to paint that as anything other than a disaster.

Ohio State didn't have any bad non-conference losses in terms of opponents, but the Buckeyes struggled to compete with top teams such as Gonzaga and Clemson.

Like most Belein teams, Michigan can be either very hot or very cold depending on their shooting. Who knows if they'll end the year in the top 15 or on the NCAA bubble.

Indiana somehow managed to lose to both Indiana State and IPFW. Neither game was even close.

I can't imagine anything less than 5..any year from the BIG. Tough conference day in and day out...lot of alumni to spend money.

The perception of the B1G being down comes from a lot of directions, and many of them are entirely valid.

Northwestern has been a complete no-show after starting the season in almost every top-20.

Minnesota was struggling to live up to expectations even before losing Coffey and Lynch.

The B1G went 3-11 in the ACC Challenge, maybe the highest-profile event of the entire non-conference season. There's simply no way to paint that as anything other than a disaster.

Ohio State didn't have any bad non-conference losses in terms of opponents, but the Buckeyes struggled to compete with top teams such as Gonzaga and Clemson.

Like most Belein teams, Michigan can be either very hot or very cold depending on their shooting. Who knows if they'll end the year in the top 15 or on the NCAA bubble.

Indiana somehow managed to lose to both Indiana State and IPFW. Neither game was even close.

In both OSU and IU the fact they were breaking in new coaches and both are playing way better now than in Novemember is not to be overlooked.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I can't imagine anything less than 5..any year from the BIG. Tough conference day in and day out...lot of alumni to spend money.

spend money on what? NCAA tournament ticket sales won't change if they let in an extra Big Ten team, nor will TV ratings.

Big Ten is normally a very tough league, but it's pretty pathetic in the middle and bottom this year. There are only 3 potential games between ranked opponents the rest of the conference season (PU-MSU, PU-UM, OSU-UM). That's kinda sad when some other conferences have 3 games on a single day between ranked opponents.

spend money on what? NCAA tournament ticket sales won't change if they let in an extra Big Ten team, nor will TV ratings.

Big Ten is normally a very tough league, but it's pretty pathetic in the middle and bottom this year. There are only 3 potential games between ranked opponents the rest of the conference season (PU-MSU, PU-UM, OSU-UM). That's kinda sad when some other conferences have 3 games on a single day between ranked opponents.
my guess was that the big has a bigger living alumni base than any other conference and will draw many more to the game and TV. If that is not true, then money will not be in play. I'm guessing TV commercials may be more costly if more are watching as well as Hotels...restaurants, gas stations if bigger crowds and/or money pool exists. If the Big doesn't bring those things to the table then following the money isn't as important in this situation. Des may have a better idea and I admit I don't know enough specifics to know if the tourney has reason to select some teams over others relative to money...but I would expect that to be in play

Reactions: BoilerGal74
my guess was that the big has a bigger living alumni base than any other conference and will draw many more to the game and TV. If that is not true, then money will not be in play.

NCAA tourney ratings will be the same no matter who the 68th team in the tourney is and ticket sales won't change either. Let's be honest, it's not like a school like Maryland is going to send 10,000 fans to a Thursday afternoon game in Boise when they find out about it Sunday night.

Hopefully, OSU will still be ranked when we (Purdue) see them in February.

ADVERTISEMENT