ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Tournament Seeding

It would not surprise me to see the rest of the games play out as you picked OP from which the Boilers end up with a double bye. However it would also not surprise me for our Boilers not to take advantage of that break and then lose their first game.

It would not surprise me to see the rest of the games play out as you picked OP from which the Boilers end up with a double bye. However it would also not surprise me for our Boilers not to take advantage of that break and then lose their first game.

OP didn't pick them. The site automatically picks the favorite.

Purdue basically gets a double bye if all 3 of the following happen:

1) Purdue wins out (beats Nebraska and Wisconsin)
2) Wisconsin wins their next game against Michigan, and loses to us
3) IU beats Maryland the final week

#3 is what sucks because it guarantees IU at least a share of the B10 title, but if that's what it takes for Purdue to get a double bye, I'll accept. heck, for all we know IU will lock up the B10 Tuesday against Iowa.

I think I'd rather play on Thursday if it means iu doesn't win the b10.

I would love a rematch with both them and Iowa in the btt.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Is a double bye good for this team? I know that an extra win against a non-tourney team likely won't help with seeding, but I think this Purdue team has enough question marks at this point that an extra game can only help.

C'mon now, don't get all basketball pius on us. You don't think if the situation were reversed that there wouldn't be more than a few iu fans feeling the same way?

I certainly don't know any but it is a big fan base so perhaps. I would post more strongly if I Saw that on any of the IU forums.

I moved on game and came up with what I would like to see. Maryland beasts IU and we have a chance to IL, IU and Iowa back to back to back. Win all three and I am a lot more confident going into the NCAA's. It would say a lot about this team. Losing to IL would also.

Who has the tiebreaker edge if purdue and Maryland finish 12-6?

Depends on how many teams are tied at 12-6. The tiebreaker is the combined record against the tied crowd. If it is a 2 team tie it goes to the head to head records.

Depends on how many teams are tied at 12-6. The tiebreaker is the combined record against the tied crowd. If it is a 2 team tie it goes to the head to head records.
I found a scenario that has this as the top 3:

1. Indiana (15 - 3)
2. Maryland (12 - 6) With Purdue, defeated Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Ohio State based on round-robin record. Defeated Purdue based on record against #12 teams.
3. Purdue (12 - 6) With Maryland, defeated Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Ohio State based on round-robin record. Lost to Maryland based on record against #12 teams.

The #12 team in this scenario is .... Illinois

I found a scenario that has this as the top 3:

1. Indiana (15 - 3)
2. Maryland (12 - 6)
With Purdue, defeated Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Ohio State based on round-robin record. Defeated Purdue based on record against #12 teams.
3. Purdue (12 - 6) With Maryland, defeated Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Ohio State based on round-robin record. Lost to Maryland based on record against #12 teams.

The #12 team in this scenario is .... Illinois
Since it is pretty much a certainty that IU will end up 13-5, you will have a head-knot at the top.

I think either one of these scenarios are a real possibility based on Iowa losing last game.

1. Indiana (15 - 3)
2. Michigan State (13 - 5)
3. Purdue (12 - 6) Defeated Maryland and Wisconsin based on round-robin record.
4. Maryland (12 - 6) Defeated Wisconsin and lost to Purdue based on round-robin record.
5. Wisconsin (12 - 6) Lost to Purdue and Maryland based on round-robin record.
6. Ohio State (11 - 7) Defeated Iowa and Michigan based on round-robin record.
7. Iowa (11 - 7) With Michigan, lost to Ohio State based on round-robin record. Defeated Michigan based on record against #2 teams.
8. Michigan (11 - 7) With Iowa, lost to Ohio State based on round-robin record. Lost to Iowa based on record against #2 teams.

9. Northwestern (8 - 10)
10. Penn State (7 - 11)
11. Nebraska (6 - 12)
12. Illinois (5 - 13)
13. Minnesota (3 - 15)
14. Rutgers (0 - 18)

bracket_image.php

1. Indiana (14 - 4)
2. Michigan State (13 - 5) Defeated Maryland based on head-to-head record.
3. Maryland (13 - 5) Lost to Michigan State based on head-to-head record.
4. Purdue (12 - 6) Defeated Wisconsin based on head-to-head record.
5. Wisconsin (12 - 6) Lost to Purdue based on head-to-head record.
6. Ohio State (11 - 7) Defeated Iowa and Michigan based on round-robin record.
7. Iowa (11 - 7) With Michigan, lost to Ohio State based on round-robin record. Defeated Michigan based on record against #2 teams.
8. Michigan (11 - 7) With Iowa, lost to Ohio State based on round-robin record. Lost to Iowa based on record against #2 teams.
9. Northwestern (8 - 10)
10. Penn State (7 - 11)
11. Nebraska (6 - 12)
12. Illinois (5 - 13)
13. Minnesota (3 - 15)
14. Rutgers (0 - 18)

bracket_image.php

Last edited:
I'd be fine with Iowa beating UM this weekend and IU beating Maryland, giving Purdue the 4 and Iowa the 5 essentially for the right to play the 1, IU.

Is a double bye good for this team? I know that an extra win against a non-tourney team likely won't help with seeding, but I think this Purdue team has enough question marks at this point that an extra game can only help.
I absolutely want the double bye. The negatives of what may happen if we lost coupled with a chance for an injury at this point in the season makes me have zero interest in playing that game.

So I think it basically boils down to our game vs. Wiscy and Iowa at Michigan. We win and Iowa losses that should lock up the 4th seed and double -bye for us since we have the tie-breaker over both Wisky and o$u (assuming they beat msu which I doubt would happen). If Iowa wins against Mich, I think the only way to get the 4th seed is for Maryland or msu to loss their last two game which seems highly unlikely since maryland plays ILL and msu gets rutgers

Actually we can still get a 4 if Iowa wins their last game. Indiana has to win though, will they be as motivated.

What's interesting about both of Paintball's scenarios is how close they are to what was expected last fall - other than IU being #1. The top are the expected top 5. It's been a long strange trip getting there ....

So I think it basically boils down to our game vs. Wiscy and Iowa at Michigan. We win and Iowa losses that should lock up the 4th seed and double -bye for us since we have the tie-breaker over both Wisky and o$u (assuming they beat msu which I doubt would happen). If Iowa wins against Mich, I think the only way to get the 4th seed is for Maryland or msu to loss their last two game which seems highly unlikely since maryland plays ILL and msu gets rutgers
Not exactly. If Iowa beats Michigan, we just need IU to take care of Maryland on senior night at the asshall. In a 4-way tie at 12-6 with Maryland, Wisconsin, and Iowa, we actually finish 2nd behind Maryland, i.e. the #4 seed, ahead of Iowa and Wisconsin on tie breakers. Assuming we win..

I'd be fine with Iowa beating UM this weekend and IU beating Maryland, giving Purdue the 4 and Iowa the 5 essentially for the right to play the 1, IU.
This. Iowa has lost their mojo. And given the choice between a rematch with IU and a rematch with MSU, I will take IU all day long.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Interestingly enough, a few people here were suggesting a week ago that it might be a good thing if Purdue lost to Maryland because that would keep Maryland's hope alive for catching IU and overtaking first. At the time, it seemed like Purdue may have done IU a favor by upsetting Maryland. Now, even Maryland winning this weekend is of no consequence to IU. Instead, Purdue now needs IU to return the favor and beat Maryland... Hard to fathom just a couple weeks ago that a home loss to close the year would have no effect on IU, and yet it holds the key to Purdue getting a double bye

Thanks OP for the scenario generator link too; that's pretty neat.

Just my $.02, but...

1) BEAT WISCONSIN! BEAT WISCONSIN! BEAT WISCONSIN! The Badgers have put together a turnaround remarkably reminiscent of what Purdue did in 1997. That said, the Badgers are also 4-37 all-time in Mackey Arena. Take care of business and send Bucky to 4-38! Ray Day and AJ will assure themselves a proper senior sendoff!

2) I don't see how Indiana loses to MD this weekend. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Hoosiers are on a role, and MD is not a great road team.

3) My gut tells me Michigan will find a way @ home vs. sliding Iowa and MSU will handle OSU @ home.

4) It would also be helpful if PSU wins out at home vs. NU and Illinois. PSU is hovering right around 100 in the rpi. It would be nice to have them as a solid top-100 win.

Last edited:
Not exactly. If Iowa beats Michigan, we just need IU to take care of Maryland on senior night at the asshall. In a 4-way tie at 12-6 with Maryland, Wisconsin, and Iowa, we actually finish 2nd behind Maryland, i.e. the #4 seed, ahead of Iowa and Wisconsin on tie breakers. Assuming we win..

If we lost to Iowa twice.....How do we finish ahead of them in a tie breaker? Is it because it would be a 3 way tie? And Wisky screws Iowa?

If we lost to Iowa twice.....How do we finish ahead of them in a tie breaker? Is it because it would be a 3 way tie? And Wisky screws Iowa?
The link in the OP explains everything. In this scenario the tie breaker goes all the way down to record against #7 Ohio State since both teams are 0.500 in the round robin tie breaker, winless against IU, and undefeated against MSU.

1. Indiana (15 - 3)
2. Michigan State (13 - 5)
3. Maryland (12 - 6)
Defeated Iowa, Purdue, and Wisconsin based on round-robin record.
4. Purdue (12 - 6) With Iowa, defeated Wisconsin and lost to Maryland based on round-robin record. Defeated Iowa based on record against #7 teams.
5. Iowa (12 - 6) With Purdue, defeated Wisconsin and lost to Maryland based on round-robin record. Lost to Purdue based on record against #7 teams.
6. Wisconsin (12 - 6) Lost to Maryland, Iowa, and Purdue based on round-robin record.
7. Ohio State (11 - 7)

If we play IU in the semi's or for the Championship, that's going to be one heck of a ticket to get. Indy will be rocking!!!

Reactions: 4IUSox2
The only way Maryland wins at IU is if they bring their own balls. Some might wonder why Maryland is a terrible road team, and why it is so hard to beat them at home. I give credit for both those phenominom to the Under Armor balls they use when playing at home.

If my theory is true, then Maryland may see an early exit from the NCAAT, brought on by their icy shooting using a Wilson. I reserve the right to laugh at them if this comes about.

:cool:

According the scenario generator, if PU / IA / MD / WI all tie for 3rd at 12-6, apparently the tie breaker is determined based on each team's record against the top 7 teams. Not sure why it's top 7 (but I suppose it's because it's the halfway point?); seems like it should be the record of all the teams who are tied against each other, plus the teams on up (i.e. so MD and IU). For example, if MSU were in that 12-6 group, why should the deserve to be seeded higher than Purdue because they got to play 7th place OSU twice?

According the scenario generator, if PU / IA / MD / WI all tie for 3rd at 12-6, apparently the tie breaker is determined based on each team's record against the top 7 teams. Not sure why it's top 7 (but I suppose it's because it's the halfway point?); seems like it should be the record of all the teams who are tied against each other, plus the teams on up (i.e. so MD and IU). For example, if MSU were in that 12-6 group, why should the deserve to be seeded higher than Purdue because they got to play 7th place OSU twice?
It reads "record against #7 teams", which is any team tied for 7th, which is OSU. Why 7th? Because the record against #1 and record against #2 are equal (it explains that 0-1 is the same as 0-2, etc.), and teams 3-6 were already accounted for in the round robin portion of the tie breaker which came out even. Clear enough? :)

It
It's complicated ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT