ADVERTISEMENT

Best three point shooting lineup around Zach?

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Can this team shoot from deep the way that they need to in order to stop teams from double and triple team Zach? Who would you put out there at the one through four if your primary concern is three point shooting?

Mason
Loyer
Smith
Newman/Jenkins

Morton is a combined 6/11 from three the last three games, but I wouldn’t put him in the same category as a shooter as the others listed above.

Smith has to be willing to take more open shots from deep. He passed on a couple of wide-open looks yesterday that ended up resulting in worse looks for other players.

Last edited:
Can this team shoot from deep the way that they need to in order to stop teams from double and triple team exec? Who would you put out there at the one through four if your primary concern is three point shooting?

Mason
Loyer
Smith
Newman/Jenkins

Morton is a combined 6/11 from three the last three games, but I wouldn’t put him in the same category as a shooter as the others listed above.

Smith asked to be willing to take more open shots from deep. He passed on a couple of wide-open looks yesterday that ended up resulting in worse locks for other players.
Smith has talked about CMP getting on him for not taking open shots. Wonder if that happened last nite.

Smith mentioned needing to take more open shots in his post game interview.

About 0:49.....there was one he passed up and then I think Ethan Morton fumbled the pass leading to a tie-up/lost possession.

Inside 2:30 minutes left - the possession for Purdue starts @ about 19:25 of the highlights below:

(Bandoumel was closing on this one, so I can follow some hesitancy)
(Boilerepherine bonus is in here as well with the quintuple possession. :))

Last edited:
Can this team shoot from deep the way that they need to in order to stop teams from double and triple team exec? Who would you put out there at the one through four if your primary concern is three point shooting?

Mason
Loyer
Smith
Newman/Jenkins

Smith has to be willing to take more open shots from deep. He passed on a couple of wide-open looks yesterday that ended up resulting in worse looks for other players.

When the game was very tight, Smith passed a wide open free throw line jumper to kick it to Morton (i think) for an open 3.
He's GOTTA take that shot.

When the game was very tight, Smith passed a wide open free throw line jumper to kick it to Morton (i think) for an open 3.
He's GOTTA take that shot.

About a minute and half left in regulation.....in the highlights above, too (starting around 20:30). Good learning points for the team and Mr. Smith.

bump.gif

Smith worked his rear off handling the ball breaking the press all game. He might have been a bit gassed and with that, maybe, lacked confidence in his shot during points in the game. But, maybe not, as he certainly came through hitting those last 4 free throws. Freshman. He has been very good, and will get better.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Smith worked his rear off handling the ball breaking the press all game. He might have been a bit gassed and with that, maybe, lacked confidence in his shot during points in the game. But, maybe not, as he certainly came through hitting those last 4 free throws. Freshman. He has been very good, and will get better.
Cline was never too tired to shoot.

To me it doesn't necessarily matter who starts but who gets the minutes. If you look at minutes played, they are fairly consistent from game to game for each player. I would prefer to see Painter go with who is playing well that game rather than with a firmly set rotation. I think Loyer is a guy who for the most part should get minutes as should Smith. Between Morton, Newman and Gillis I would tend to go with the guys playing the best that particular day.

To me it doesn't necessarily matter who starts but who gets the minutes. If you look at minutes played, they are fairly consistent from game to game for each player. I would prefer to see Painter go with who is playing well that game rather than with a firmly set rotation. I think Loyer is a guy who for the most part should get minutes as should Smith. Between Morton, Newman and Gillis I would tend to go with the guys playing the best that particular day.
Agree that it doesn’t matter who starts, but would argue that it very much matters who plays together. Yes, makes sense to give minutes to guys playing well, but how the pieces fit together and how players compliment each other is just as important.

All three of the guys you mentioned bring very different skills, but versus a team playing defense like Nebraska anyone who can hit open threes should take as many minutes as they can handle.

Reactions: rjmpu82
That NU guard with the little dreads played really tough full court D on Smith. Felt like he was getting into Smith's head a little bit. This is what I expect a lot of good on-ball guards are going to do with him.

Reactions: DrEss
That NU guard with the little dreads played really tough full court D on Smith. Felt like he was getting into Smith's head a little bit. This is what I expect a lot of good on-ball guards are going to do with him.

Purdue and Smith will definitely see some of that - thought Mr. Smith did a good job dealing with it, but he had to work, which he also seems up to it so far. For Nebraska, it likely exacted a price. Bandoumel had to use a lot of energy on defense, and it could explain his 4-13 shooting (3-10 from beyond the arc).

One other note - even with the Boilers' lack of success shooting, the defense on Nebraska's shooters other than Tominaga is noteworthy. Bandoumel, Griesel, and Wilcher combined for 6-33 (3-16 from deep) - well below the "Mendoza" line. Some poor shooting yes - but give the Boilers some credit too. Of course a bunch of those misses came back to Nebraska as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why MP had Braden bring the ball all the way up versus that token pressure versus passing out of it earlier. Have Loyer or Morton at half court and advance the ball to them versus dribbling it up versus pressure. Probably a good reason why but didn't make sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT