ADVERTISEMENT

Best Purdue Player of Painter era

Who is the best player at Purdue in the Painter era?

• E. Moore

• R. Hummel

• J. Johnson

• C. Swanigan

• AJ Hammons

• C. Edwards

• C. Kramer

• V. Edwards

Results are only viewable after voting.

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
I excluded Landry since he was recruited by Keady.

I'll leave it up to you how to judge "best"... whether that's most dominant or best career.

That list could be added to as well. Like you said, judging could be very subjective.

Moore was great but Hummel just meant everything for Purdue. When he was playing well they were that much better as a team. Just think what he would have been without the back and knee issues.

I went with Moore and Swanigan, but agree with what you are saying on Hummel. Before the 1st ACL tear at Minny his Jr year he was playing at an incrediblely high level and made that team go. What could have been.......

Reactions: Schnelk
Right now its Moore for me. Depending how Carsen's season goes my vote would likely change to him. If he were to come back next year, it will definitely be him.

Reactions: Roeder
Right now its Moore for me. Depending how Carsen's season goes my vote would likely change to him. If he were to come back next year, it will definitely be him.
I would sure like to have those 8 guys on the same team, playing together. Would surely make the final 4 and challenge the dukies.

I guess it depends on which Era you're talking about!!

As a Coach, I was torn between E'Twauun and Robbie, with Caleb right there. I picked Moore.

As a Player,, Glenn!! Not even close!!!

I voted for E'Twaun. At the time of my voting (47 votes in) Vince had 0 votes. That's not surprising; he doesn't deserve any. What's amazing to me, though, is how differently Hummel and Vince will be remembered. Robbie is perhaps the most beloved Boiler of the Painter era, and had gotten 13 of the 47 votes at the time of my voting. Vince is remembered poorly by a lot of people and always endured a lot of scrutiny. I think there is very little but perception that actually separates them. Here are their career splits per 40 minutes:

R. Hummel: .443/.389/.841 18.5 PTS (16.0 SP), 9.0 REB, 2.8 AST
V. Edwards: .473/.392/.820 16.6 PTS (14.4 SP), 7.9 REB, 4.1 AST

Hummel played on teams that shot worse and generally were less offensively gifted and deep. He played a little more and had a higher usage rate throughout his career leading to slightly higher scoring numbers on slightly worse efficiency. Both guys played the 4 for the most part. Hummel was a little more of a true "4", and played at a time where 4s hung out in the post a bit more. I'd take Hummel guarding post players and Vince guarding guys like Bryant McIntosh, Corey Sanders, etc.

Here is Hummel's All-American year compared to Vince's senior year. These are straight figures, not per 40:

R. Hummel: .456/.364/.902 15.7 PTS (13.1 SP), 6.9 REB, 2.1 AST
V. Edwards: .476/.398/.830 14.6 PTS (12.4 SP), 7.4 REB, 2.9 AST

Despite Vince's limp (figurative and literally) into the end of year, there's just not a lot to separate these guys. Again, Hummel benefitted from a slightly higher usage rate, as there were certainly less people looking to score on the majority of those Baby Boiler teams.

I doubt this post will go over well, but then again, I guess that's my point. Two very similar players put up very similar numbers and both represented Purdue well throughout their careers. Two very different legacies.

I voted for E'Twaun. At the time of my voting (47 votes in) Vince had 0 votes. That's not surprising; he doesn't deserve any. What's amazing to me, though, is how differently Hummel and Vince will be remembered. Robbie is perhaps the most beloved Boiler of the Painter era, and had gotten 13 of the 47 votes at the time of my voting. Vince is remembered poorly by a lot of people and always endured a lot of scrutiny. I think there is very little but perception that actually separates them. Here are their career splits per 40 minutes:

Hummel played on teams that shot worse and generally were less offensively gifted and deep. He played a little more and had a higher usage rate throughout his career leading to slightly higher scoring numbers on slightly worse efficiency. Both guys played the 4 for the most part. Hummel was a little more of a true "4", and played at a time where 4s hung out in the post a bit more. I'd take Hummel guarding post players and Vince guarding guys like Bryant McIntosh, Corey Sanders, etc.

Here is Hummel's All-American year compared to Vince's senior year. These are straight figures, not per 40:

Despite Vince's limp (figurative and literally) into the end of year, there's just not a lot to separate these guys. Again, Hummel benefitted from a slightly higher usage rate, as there were certainly less people looking to score on the majority of those Baby Boiler teams.

I doubt this post will go over well, but then again, I guess that's my point. Two very similar players put up very similar numbers and both represented Purdue well throughout their careers. Two very different legacies.

I think you're a little mistaken on Vince. I think many wanted him to just a little better but he was still a great college player. He isn't likely to get votes on this because he was never the best player on any of his teams, but he was probably second.

Anybody who hates him was jaded by something else and wasnt seeing his production clearly.

Reactions: FearTheTrain

This is a really good post. I wouldn't say that Vince has a bad legacy - nobody thinks poorly of him. But as you pointed out, he produced very similar numbers to Hummel, and for some reason doesn't get the recognition. I have been racking my brain as to why this is, and the best I can come up with is that Vince is too quiet and unselfish. I loved Hummel the first moment I saw him play - he played with so much emotion. Vince, on the other hand, almost always deferred to his teammates - first Hammons, then Swanigan, then Carsen.

To back up your stats even more, here they are compared in the Purdue record books:

VE = 15th

REBOUNDS
RH = 5th
VE = 8th

ASSISTS
RH = 22nd
VE = 11th

BTW, what does "13.1 SP" mean?

Reactions: FearTheTrain
My impression is that Hummel presence is much more consistent than Vince even though their stat is about same. And, baby boilers team seems more invincible than last year's team.

Best career: Moore

Best season: JJ's senior year edges out Biggies' soph campaign. JJ was Consensus 1st team AA, B1G POY, B1G DPOY, B1G leading scorer (18th nationally), B1G blocks leader, 4th in B1G rebounding, Newell Big Man of the Year
I posted before I read your comment... spot on

I went with JJ and Carsen. I think that JJ had the best individual season. He was dominant on both ends of the court.

My vote for Carsen was probably a bit premature, but I think that he is that special. He’s pretty much unguardable right now. E’twaun and Swanigan are probably more deserving based on their accomplishments, but my vote for Carsen is based on what I think he will do this year. The cross over dribble drive that he had today was a great example. He’s a legitimate national player of the year candidate.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Carsen and Glenn are the two best basketball players in the history of Purdue hoops. Carsen has more basketball skills, Glenn was skilled and physically dominant. Biggie was great, but one peg down - he’s limited in physical burst compared to Carsen or Glenn. JJ and E’Twaun are better than Robbie, but not by much.

Carsen and Glenn are the two best basketball players in the history of Purdue hoops. Carsen has more basketball skills, Glenn was skilled and physically dominant. Biggie was great, but one peg down - he’s limited in physical burst compared to Carsen or Glenn. JJ and E’Twaun are better than Robbie, but not by much.
“The Painter Era” includes playing with Big Dog.

Robbie has two things going for him, 1 is the ACL tradgedy

The second is that he was arguably the best player on Purdue for 3 season while Vince was never the first option

I’m surprised There’s such a difference between Johnson and the other players in his class. I thought it would be really close. I think it’s pretty clear he had the best single season of anyone on this list (slightly edging out biggie)

Also, how do the percentages not add to 100?

Carson does things I have never seen any of the other guys do. To me he has better skills then all of the other ones put together. Only thing he is missing is the height. However he is the best

Based on the question, "who is the best player" I voted for E'twaun and Carsen, because as basketball players they are overwhelmingly talented in all phases and able to create their own offense while also dishing out assists to the big men on their team. Of course everyone remembers Moore's game against OSU in Mackey, but he was so consistently good and completely smooth for his whole career. And Carsen, well, just watch him play.

However, if the question was "who was the most transformational player" then I probably would have voted for Hummel and Swanigan. Hummel for his emergence as the straw that stirred the Baby Boilers (so many ifs because of that #$%^ing ACL) to win a Big Ten Tournament and Big Ten Regular season title and Swanigan because Purdue finally got a big recruiting win of an in-state kid and he led a team that broke the Crossroads jinx, won another Big Ten Title and got back to the sweet 16 after some bad 1st round losses.

Based on the question, "who is the best player" I voted for E'twaun and Carsen, because as basketball players they are overwhelmingly talented in all phases and able to create their own offense while also dishing out assists to the big men on their team. Of course everyone remembers Moore's game against OSU in Mackey, but he was so consistently good and completely smooth for his whole career. And Carsen, well, just watch him play.

However, if the question was "who was the most transformational player" then I probably would have voted for Hummel and Swanigan. Hummel for his emergence as the straw that stirred the Baby Boilers (so many ifs because of that #$%^ing ACL) to win a Big Ten Tournament and Big Ten Regular season title and Swanigan because Purdue finally got a big recruiting win of an in-state kid and he led a team that broke the Crossroads jinx, won another Big Ten Title and got back to the sweet 16 after some bad 1st round losses.

To add to your thoughts, I also like what Kramer brought to the program......not necessarily "transforming" it, but ensuring that DEFENSE does live here. And he certainly was one of the best at it.

I love the players on the list, but you none of them compare to Glenn. Glenn was just completely dominating in college. There was a reason he was National POY that year. Is he still the last player to average 30 pts in a season?

Barring that stupid wrestling match the night before the Duke game, where he hurts his back, we win the championship that year.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Carsen will make this a no brainer by the end of the season. JJ probably had the best overall season his senior year prior to what I think Carsen is going to have. E’Twaun had probably the best overall career. Robbie was the most influential player of that group since he did a little of everything and was key to that teams success while other two were more talented and could take over games. Swanigan was the best recruit we’ve had and had a dominant sophomore season that was similar to Jajuan’s senior season except his defensive presence was lacking which is why I think Jajuan had the best individual season under Painter. Carsen though is going to kill the individual scoring record under Painter. I don’t think he can break Big Dog’s season record of over 1000 points but maybe he can. It’s certainly in the realm of possibility. I believe Glenn ended up finishing the season exceptionally strong (minus the Duke game) to get that 30 pt/game average including the Illinois and Kansas game which really brought up his average. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Carsen to have a few games where he’s near 40 points or above. Good question though. Starting lineup: Carsen, E’Twaun, Hummel, JaJuan, Swanigan. Hammons, Vince, Mathias, and Kramer off the bench.

Carsen will make this a no brainer by the end of the season. JJ probably had the best overall season his senior year prior to what I think Carsen is going to have. E’Twaun had probably the best overall career. Robbie was the most influential player of that group since he did a little of everything and was key to that teams success while other two were more talented and could take over games. Swanigan was the best recruit we’ve had and had a dominant sophomore season that was similar to Jajuan’s senior season except his defensive presence was lacking which is why I think Jajuan had the best individual season under Painter. Carsen though is going to kill the individual scoring record under Painter. I don’t think he can break Big Dog’s season record of over 1000 points but maybe he can. It’s certainly in the realm of possibility. I believe Glenn ended up finishing the season exceptionally strong (minus the Duke game) to get that 30 pt/game average including the Illinois and Kansas game which really brought up his average. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Carsen to have a few games where he’s near 40 points or above. Good question though. Starting lineup: Carsen, E’Twaun, Hummel, JaJuan, Swanigan. Hammons, Vince, Mathias, and Kramer off the bench.
He's got a great chance of breaking Big Dog's record. Without looking it up, I believe its 1,030 points and we played 33-34 games that year.

I believe Glenn ended up finishing the season exceptionally strong (minus the Duke game) to get that 30 pt/game average including the Illinois and Kansas game which really brought up his average. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Carsen to have a few games where he’s near 40 points or above.

I think he’s a lock to surpass 40 points multiple times this season. I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT