ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley

boiler17

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
He basically sucks this year?

Every time I notice him he is two steps behind where he needs to be and sometimes is able to shoestring a ball carrier. I love the guy, and wanted him shirted even though there was no chance it was going to happen. Guys with knee injuries always seem to need another 6-12 months after cleared to return to previous form.

Its hard for me to think we couldnt get his production from someone on the bench.

Every time I notice him he is two steps behind where he needs to be and sometimes is able to shoestring a ball carrier. I love the guy, and wanted him shirted even though there was no chance it was going to happen. Guys with knee injuries always seem to need another 6-12 months after cleared to return to previous form.

Its hard for me to think we couldnt get his production from someone on the bench.
He is not healthy, or at least does not look as though he is...and ponder the fact that Hazell entertained the idea of postponing his surgery when his injury occurred a year ago!

I don't believe it is fair to suggest that "he sucks" as you did...he has not been very good certainly, but I believe it is a product of his health, virtually no talent around him and a really bad scheme.

I don't believe it is fair to suggest that "he sucks" as you did...he has not been very good certainly, but I believe it is a product of his health

Right, but on Saturdays the net impact is that he sucks.

virtually no talent around him and a really bad scheme.

I dont mind this scheme. I think nickle/4-2-5 is the way to go unless there are two te's in, and at least this guy isnt afraid to dial up the blitz.

I still think the biggest problem is the players know the coach sucks.

Just as with anthrop last year, Bentley isn't back yet, should have been redshirted for his own benefit (and ours), and wasn't because our coach is putting his own interest in front of the player's.

Reactions: DG10
Just as with anthrop last year, Bentley isn't back yet, should have been redshirted for his own benefit (and ours), and wasn't because our coach is putting his own interest in front of the player's.

All coaches do it, and all coaches are dumb in that regard. The medical people say its okay, so lets do it. It benefits no one.

Then someone points to Adrian Peterson or maybe Jordy Nelson this year, so by all means, lets continue to screw the other 80-95%

Bentley had this Hummel-esk quality to him as a freshman, and now he will have maybe one good year.

Right, but on Saturdays the net impact is that he sucks.

I dont mind this scheme. I think nickle/4-2-5 is the way to go unless there are two te's in, and at least this guy isnt afraid to dial up the blitz.

I still think the biggest problem is the players know the coach sucks.
Um, right now, on Saturday's...pretty much everyone sucks, not just Bentley.

He was very good as a middle LB, and that seems a more fitting role for him...the new scheme changed that.

As I said, and New Pal below (and you even agreed with), the kid does not appear to be 100% healthy, which does not come as a surprise, but it contributes to his lack of effectiveness.

Again, there is almost no talent to aid his cause either...if I am an opposing OC, it is real easy to avoid Bentley, and outside of Replogle (and maybe Panfil), he is the only guy worth trying to avoid...I have not even paid close enough attention to know, but, it would not surprise me in the least if Replogle and Panfil are lined up on the same side, with Bentley lined up behind them...that would be so Purdue-esque.

This is just a look at numbers and production (from purduesports archives) since I have no interest in breaking down plays from the last few seasons to account for how the new scheme is affecting Bentley’s snaps, positioning, responsibilities, opportunities, etc.

Bentley is leading the team in tackles this year. Bentley is outperforming freshman yr Bentley in terms of tackles, TFL, and passes defended per game. When judged against last year’s LBs, this year’s Bentley would have ranked #1 on the team in tackles/game (last year’s Bentley wouldn’t have enough games to qualify). Depending on how you view Gelen’s hybrid DE/LB role last season, this year’s Bentley would come in at #1 or #2 in TFL among last year’s LBs. The numbers suggests there probably isn't a guy sitting the bench that could do better than Bentley's current production.

There's no denying he was playing at an All-B1G level before the injury last season, and he's not doing that so far this year. I'm sure we all hope he rises back to that level as he gets farther from the injury (tough to RS a medically cleared non-frosh if the kid wants to play and is better than the competition), but in the meantime I don't see any reason to take shots at the kid with posts saying "he sucks."

As I said, and New Pal below (and you even agreed with)

I don't see any reason to take shots at the kid with posts saying "he sucks."

Totally agree his lack of effectiveness is due to losing a step from his injury like all knee repairs seem to for that first year. Thats what I mean when I say 'he sucks'. Not intended as a cheap or personal shot.

Last years Bentley was a rock star, and I am definitely bemoaning this staff, and the current attitude of what it means to 'come back from' a knee surgery throughout football.

Again, there is almost no talent to aid his cause either

I think the talent is mostly fine. The front seven are 500 big ten football worthy, and really just missing a safety and a cb or two.

If you take any 11 kids and coach them to run around confused and not recognize basic stuff, they will suck. Its been Hazell's trademark for Purdue players.

If Patterson plays this weekend, we all know where Hazell's moral compass currently sits. Considering he has suspended previous players multiple games and punished heavily for lesser offenses, if Patterson plays Saturday...he is desperate.

If Patterson plays this weekend, we all know where Hazell's moral compass currently sits. Considering he has suspended previous players multiple games and punished heavily for lesser offenses, if Patterson plays Saturday...he is desperate.

Well I'd hope to God he's desperate by this point. The writing is on the wall.

Yeah, Ive been disappointed with how he has handled this. I have no reason to doubt Haz's ethics to this point, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt there is reason to get all info before making a decision because it sounds pretty cut and dry right now.

Some of it is scheme and that he's having to cover more of the field in this 4-2-5. Can't expect him to have safety type speed coming off an injury. To be honest, the entire LB unit has not looked particularly great in this scheme. But he's still very much been a productive player. Just not the way we were used to seeing him before. If I was going to be disappointed in a unit, it would be the DE's. The den still appears to be empty. The secondary at least has lack of experience as an excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT