ADVERTISEMENT

Bell

As said above, if he gets by the Colts in round 2 it will be a disaster.

Can’t believe, after all these years and all those busts, that the NFL values potential over production (the exception being the Pats)
Terry McLauren did and they took Paris Campbell. 🤣

Terry McLauren did and they took Paris Campbell. 🤣

And what has Paris played in, maybe a dozen games if that.

I like Ballard and he has done some nice things off the field, but going into a non playoff off season with no QB and no 1st round pick is troubling.

They can’t waste the current O line and Taylor waiting for a QB to develop

Looks a 4.62 40 today, about what I expected (maybe a tad slower). Athletically scoring low compared to his peers, overall with close to last broad and high jumps.

Rice ran a 4.7. That was also 35 years ago when conditioning was optional.

Bell had a bad combine. The 4.6 forty is one thing. The poor explosion numbers (broad jump and vert) are more damaging IMO.

A good 3-cone/short shuttle might save him a bit

His 3 cone wasn't a disaster but he was dead last in the shuttle. Stock is falling hard.

If he was just average in everything he would be a lock for 2nd round, probably gonna drop to fringe day 2 now. Right or wrong that's how it will go.

Someone is going to get hella value drafting him. I just hope he gets drafted by someone that has plans on using him and not buried on the depth chart.

Rice ran a 4.7. That was also 35 years ago when conditioning was optional.

Bell had a bad combine. The 4.6 forty is one thing. The poor explosion numbers (broad jump and vert) are more damaging IMO.
How fast was mccaffrey on Denver? A lot of these guys don’t realize that great route running might as well Add a lot of explosion

How fast was mccaffrey on Denver? A lot of these guys don’t realize that great route running might as well Add a lot of explosion
4.7 - 31 years ago.

Bell is going to have to go to the right team and take time to develop. Im more worried about the broad jump and shuttle time than the 40 time.

4.7 - 31 years ago.

Bell is going to have to go to the right team and take time to develop. Im more worried about the broad jump and shuttle time than the 40 time.
I still think he will do fine. Yeah he’s not gonna be randy moss.. but he will be a good value as a second round pick maybe 3rd. He will have a productive career wherever he goes ONLY because of the mental side of the game.. where he’s farther ahead of everyone else as he is behind in explosion.

I still think he will do fine. Yeah he’s not gonna be randy moss.. but he will be a good value as a second round pick maybe 3rd. He will have a productive career wherever he goes ONLY because of the mental side of the game.. where he’s farther ahead of everyone else as he is behind in explosion.
You sound like the Bears fans who believe Riley Ridley is a total stud who just got screwed by the Bears not giving him a chance.

I think Bell is out of the 2nd round for sure now. He has a ton of production on the field or he'd be undrafted with these combine numbers. I didn't think it would be this bad, but here we are. He's going to have a very difficult time getting open in the NFL. Very difficult.

Yet another very accurate post with great points...

I am going to suggest (and justify in my own head at least) that Fields is a Georgia QB in light of it!!
Don't matter where you suggest Fields is from he's still with the Bears. Unitas, Elway, Brady and the Mannings would have all struggled under Bears management.

You sound like the Bears fans who believe Riley Ridley is a total stud who just got screwed by the Bears not giving him a chance.

I think Bell is out of the 2nd round for sure now. He has a ton of production on the field or he'd be undrafted with these combine numbers. I didn't think it would be this bad, but here we are. He's going to have a very difficult time getting open in the NFL. Very difficult.
I think your sentiments would be very true if a receiver ran down a hallway where stopping or changing directions was not allowed. In sports, a defenders speed can be used against them.

nat talks about Jerry Rice being from an era where conditioning was optional. He did just fine when covered by Deion sanders ? Why? One guy ran a 4.7, the other sub 4.3.

by the way if David bell wasn’t the best big ten receiver on the field my entire argument would be moot

I think your sentiments would be very true if a receiver ran down a hallway where stopping or changing directions was not allowed. In sports, a defenders speed can be used against them.

nat talks about Jerry Rice being from an era where conditioning was optional. He did just fine when covered by Deion sanders ? Why? One guy ran a 4.7, the other sub 4.3.

by the way if David bell wasn’t the best big ten receiver on the field my entire argument would be moot
You're missing the point that he can't actually do things like change directions at a high level. That's what this testing is telling us. Forget about anyone from back in the day. I promise you can't find a high level NFL receiver right now that profiles this poorly athletically.

You're missing the point that he can't actually do things like change directions at a high level. That's what this testing is telling us. Forget about anyone from back in the day. I promise you can't find a high level NFL receiver right now that profiles this poorly athletically.
Give me an over under on career receiving yards and TDs

As much as I like David Bell, he probably wasn't the best Big Ten receiver on the field.

How old are you, six? 🤣
I kid. I was telling people here when bell was a freshman that he would have a hard time being drafted high with his low 40, production be damned and the Indy crowd tarred and feathered on KHC..

i think he will be a productive pro but as usual, @nat100’s appraisal of 3rd or 4th round is highly reasonable

Last edited:
Reactions: Trekie4Life
Would Bell have been better off skipping the combine and letting his on field results speak for themselves?

Would Bell have been better off skipping the combine and letting his on field results speak for themselves?
Probably…but when you have speed concerns showing up and not running isn’t the thing to do either.
I see him as a late 2nd round waiver or 3rd round pick at this point who will outperform most taken ahead of him.

I’ve been hearing the field in Indy was running faster then years past too which is why so many had a great run. This makes it unlikely bell will do faster at his proday.

I’ve been hearing the field in Indy was running faster then years past too which is why so many had a great run. This makes it unlikely bell will do faster at his proday.
Yeah I heard something about the turf there historically being considered very slow, but it was just replaced with a much faster turf. Treylon Burks didn't even bother to run at his pro day and he had a chance to put some doubts to rest if he improved. I don't think Bell should run either.

ADVERTISEMENT