ADVERTISEMENT

Bell

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
Bell was on the IAMATHLETE pod with Olave and a RB whose name I can't remember. Bell said his pro comp is Allen Robinson (victory lap for me on that one) and that he has set a goal of winning OROY. Then he made what I thought were a couple of really interesting comments. First, he said that a 4.5 40 is slow. Then he said that he and his agent are hearing late 1st/early 2nd regarding his draft stock, but he expects to be a riser after he performs at the combine. That'll be interesting to watch because he's not a guy I would have figured would wow the scouts at the combine. I figured him for a 4.5, but he must be expecting to run much faster. Will be fun to see how it plays out and where he ends up.

Reactions: JPurdue and DAG10
Bell was on the IAMATHLETE pod with Olave and a RB whose name I can't remember. Bell said his pro comp is Allen Robinson (victory lap for me on that one) and that he has set a goal of winning OROY. Then he made what I thought were a couple of really interesting comments. First, he said that a 4.5 40 is slow. Then he said that he and his agent are hearing late 1st/early 2nd regarding his draft stock, but he expects to be a riser after he performs at the combine. That'll be interesting to watch because he's not a guy I would have figured would wow the scouts at the combine. I figured him for a 4.5, but he must be expecting to run much faster. Will be fun to see how it plays out and where he ends up.
OROY is a great goal, but, incredibly ambitious, more so if he ends up on a bad team. The Robinson comp is not a bad one....but, look at his NFL career...largely a product of bad teams/bad QBs.

Bell is better than he is given credit for, and, that as much as anything may be why he expects to rise after others see him and understand/appreciate that.

I would be thrilled if he ended up in Chicago...no doubt that he would be a welcomed addition and great fit in Indy as well...I look forward to watching him and pulling for him regardless.

OROY is a great goal, but, incredibly ambitious, more so if he ends up on a bad team. The Robinson comp is not a bad one....but, look at his NFL career...largely a product of bad teams/bad QBs.

Bell is better than he is given credit for, and, that as much as anything may be why he expects to rise after others see him and understand/appreciate that.

I would be thrilled if he ended up in Chicago...no doubt that he would be a welcomed addition and great fit in Indy as well...I look forward to watching him and pulling for him regardless.
I'd love him in Chicago as well, he could seamlessly replace ARob. Speed and a really deep WR class was all that was keeping him out of round 1. We'll see what he runs.

Reactions: DAG10
I'd love him in Chicago as well, he could seamlessly replace ARob. Speed and a really deep WR class was all that was keeping him out of round 1. We'll see what he runs.
Bears pick at 39, would take him there although i don’t think we can expect him to replace ARob, might be third WR behind whoever their top guy is (free agent or trade) and Mooney. I think the bears basically have 1 WR next year signed who has business on a 2 deep.

Bears hire an OC yet?

Bears pick at 39, would take him there although i don’t think we can expect him to replace ARob, might be third WR behind whoever their top guy is (free agent or trade) and Mooney. I think the bears basically have 1 WR next year signed who has business on a 2 deep.
He can easily replace what the Bears got from ARob this year. Easily. Mooney is the only WR under contract, they will need to draft/sign a few. I think Grant will be one they bring back, then there are a bunch of cheap FA options to go with the 2 high level guys.

He can easily replace what the Bears got from ARob this year. Easily. Mooney is the only WR under contract, they will need to draft/sign a few. I think Grant will be one they bring back, then there are a bunch of cheap FA options to go with the 2 high level guys.
I agree for 2021 ARob but if the bears will be competitive they need someone to replace 2019/2020 ARob.

Funny how one of the best receivers in the NFL right now runs a 4.6 or so 40 (Cooper Kupp). Yeah, speed is great. But technique and savvy make great WR's. I'd pick Bell over many out there...

I agree for 2021 ARob but if the bears will be competitive they need someone to replace 2019/2020 ARob.
I think they are very similar, and if Bell was to be peppered with 150 targets like they did ARob, he would produce comparably. It’s not like ARob was putting up crazy numbers.

Reactions: pboiler18
I think they are very similar, and if Bell was to be peppered with 150 targets like they did ARob, he would produce comparably. It’s not like ARob was putting up crazy numbers.
He averaged 1200 yards those two years. No rookie WR got half that except the trio taken in the first ten picks. I think he’s capable of putting up 1200 yards someday but if the bears count on him to be their Prime WR they are in trouble. I expect the bears will have at least 2 WRs by trade or free agency by draft day hopefully one is capable of putting up 1,000+ yards.

He’s the worst guy possible to judge off of his 40.. yeah if he ran a 4.7 sure.. but even at a 4.55 he can be very good in the NFL. Jerry rice wasn’t any faster

He averaged 1200 yards those two years. No rookie WR got half that except the trio taken in the first ten picks. I think he’s capable of putting up 1200 yards someday but if the bears count on him to be their Prime WR they are in trouble. I expect the bears will have at least 2 WRs by trade or free agency by draft day hopefully one is capable of putting up 1,000+ yards.
If he got 150 targets, which he won’t, he could put up those type numbers. Mooney has earned his share and I expect Kmet to take a step forward and get more target share. They need to draft a WR and sign 2.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
He’s the worst guy possible to judge off of his 40.. yeah if he ran a 4.7 sure.. but even at a 4.55 he can be very good in the NFL. Jerry rice wasn’t any faster
Sure I’m just saying his speed is easily the biggest knock on him. If he was faster he’d be a virtual lock to go in the top 20

We didn’t hate Adams. We just loved some of the Jordy Nelson a lot more

So you really don’t like David Bell if you want the Bears to get him. Quarterbacks and receivers are sent to the NFL graveyard.

Just saw a mock draft with Bell being taken one pick before the colts…typical
Just commented in reply to SKYDOG about the situation as a WR in Chicago...not much better in Indianapolis recently/right now, and, don't see it changing if/as long as Wentz remains.

Colts (like the Bears) could desperately use him...well, his talent at least, as, I don't know to what extent they would literally use him.

I just don't want him to end up in New York...or Cleveland...or Miami...something like that.

I feel like we as Purdue fans appreciate how good he is, but, I don't know that we even know how truly good he is...I compared him at one point to the football version of E'Twaun Moore...I think Bell will surprise in his workouts and have a very successful professional career...and, just as with E'Twaun, I look forward to following him and rooting for him...bonus if it happens to be on a team that I am a fan of already.

True, but it would be nice to have a Colts jersey with a Purdue player more recent than Curtis Painter.

At least you but a Bailey one if you wanted (or Allen)
I havent bought a jersey in a long time (20+ years).

If Gronk joins the bengals (apparently he wants to play with Burrow) that might change.

Reactions: pboiler18
Very fair point, aside of the fact that I feel like they FINALLY have someone at QB that may change that...and, they have some decent skill players otherwise...plus, I just think Bell is THAT good, that he can overcome that.
Well we both think Bell is good, but wow. Just think of all the Ohio State quarterbacks that had a great career in the NFL. Now couple that with the Bears quarterbacks and receivers. If Bell went to the Bears he would be against all odds.

Well we both think Bell is good, but wow. Just think of all the Ohio State quarterbacks that had a great career in the NFL. Now couple that with the Bears quarterbacks and receivers. If Bell went to the Bears he would be against all odds.
Yet another very accurate post with great points...

I am going to suggest (and justify in my own head at least) that Fields is a Georgia QB in light of it!!

Bell would look awesome in a packers jersey. The packers are known for their receivers who can catch the ball and run with it rather than having tremendous speed. Don driver wasn't extremely fast and neither is adams. if Rodgers leaves, Adams sure isn't going to stay.

Reactions: JPurdue
Bell would look awesome in a packers jersey. The packers are known for their receivers who can catch the ball and run with it rather than having tremendous speed. Don driver wasn't extremely fast and neither is adams. if Rodgers leaves, Adams sure isn't going to stay.
It is all about the right system. Bell having Love to throw to him is completely different than Rodgers being the QB. I am not sure that would be a benefit for him to go to the Packers, if Rodgers leaves.

I hope Bell gets into a situation with a up and coming young QB. He would be great if he could get into a situation with someone like the Chargers with Herbert and build up a relationship with a young gunslinger.

I thought the Cardinals wasted using Rondale's talents this last year. I realize that they have Hopkins and Green and others. However, they were talking about building certain plays for him. That fizzled out quickly as they basically just threw simple screen passes with no blockers. Hoping this changes next year for him.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT