ADVERTISEMENT

Bardo on the Boilers

Dec 6, 2003
You may be familiar with the "Bardo's Breakdown" programs that Stephen Bardo hosts.

In yesterday's edition he discussed Purdue quite a bit, including people overlooking or taking for granted the #1 ranking.

He also talked about how impressive the Boilers have been defensively, how difficult it is to achieve the #1 rank with a freshman starting backcourt, and gave some well-deserved praise to Brandon Brantley for how impressive Zach Edey's development has been thus far. He followed that up with reviewing the MSU game, which he called the game of the year in the B1G to this point.

Boiler talk begins at 1:09.

You may be familiar with the "Bardo's Breakdown" programs that Stephen Bardo hosts.

In yesterday's edition he discussed Purdue quite a bit, including people overlooking or taking for granted the #1 ranking.

He also talked about how impressive the Boilers have been defensively, how difficult it is to achieve the #1 rank with a freshman starting backcourt, and gave some well-deserved praise to Brandon Brantley for how impressive Zach Edey's development has been thus far. He followed that up with reviewing the MSU game, which he called the game of the year in the B1G to this point.

Boiler talk begins at 1:09.
hopefully Berg is putting in the time that Edey did this past off season. Edey is night and day better than he was last year

Speaking of Brantley, is there any talk of him trying to go for a head coaching job?

He's done a terrific job for us and selfishly I want him to stay at Purdue as Matt's assistant.
I don't think Brantley would make a good head coach and likely considers himself in a very sweet position. If Purdue continues to pull in good talent that Brantley can develop then why would he want the pressures that come along with a head coaching position. He is a king maker and can do what he does best under CMP.

I don't think Brantley would make a good head coach and likely considers himself in a very sweet position. If Purdue continues to pull in good talent that Brantley can develop then why would he want the pressures that come along with a head coaching position. He is a king maker and can do what he does best under CMP.

Because even a first time Div 1 head coach can make 2-3 mill a year and I bet Brantly is making 500k right now.

Sure 500k is allot of money and most of us would love to make that, but thats only because we cant maker 2-3 mill a year.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Coach Brantley's state salary is public record and he made $255k in 2020. I couldn't find the latter years.

For reference, Coach Shrew made $367k as an assistant and Matt made $2.26M.

Reactions: Lee3370
Coach Brantley's state salary is public record and he made $255k in 2020. I couldn't find the latter years.

For reference, Coach Shrew made $367k as an assistant and Matt made $2.26M.

Thats my point, chance to make 5-10 times more is plenty of reason to look at a head coach job.

The risk of being a good head coach and top program is always losing assistnants to other jobs, the only way to prevent this is to not win. Losing an assistant coach is a badge of honor of your program being respected.

A few years back he said, " If you truly love what you do it isn't work". It's a different game without all the pressure of the business. He is the best at what he does, and he loves doing it! No assistant has ever affected Purdue more than him. Although Bruce Weber is a close second!

I moved to Southern IL in 2000. Bruce was at SIU. Matt was an assistant. I was sure Bruce was waiting for Gene to retire. Thankfully U of I came calling a year early and Bruce left Carbondale. I think it worked out for the best as a Boiler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT