ADVERTISEMENT

Ball State game story

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Don't know how many read or care about this, but it is fun for me. I am not a sportswriter, just a fan:
Purdue 80; Ball State: 38. In a game that started with Purdue as mud and BSU as concrete, Purdue finally warmed up and tho they did not shoot that well ( especially Fts) it will be a long time before the Boilers rout a solid BSU program by 42 as they did tonight. They had a zillion rebounds, many of them offensive ( over 20 or those) and forced a lot of Tos behind an aggressive D that everyone seemed able to play and Versyp played everyone, even a walk on I never heard of. Ball state had only 25 pts at the end of the 3re Q and they were at home. They are a very young and inexperienced team and that showed up, but they have a veteran coach, have either beaten Purdue recently or given them a battle and they were no match at all.
The players:
MCGlaughin will be all BT either this year or sometime. She is just as solid as any player can be on every level and is deadly from three. Plus she plays virtually all of every game.
Harris had foul trouble that caused her to play about half the game but her rebounding and D are still top notch. Her two backups were impressive, especially Gony who has some hops and can rebound.
Oden started slowly and, for some reason, sat out most of the first quarter, but when it was over she scored a lot of points and played her usual super D.
Farquar who shot 89 % fts last year, missed 8 or 9 but still scored well and had 10 or more rebounds.
Altho Hardin started both halves and had a solid game, Traylor is a budding star and looks already like a veteran pg. She will be a star in her four years.
Whilby the soph transfer played noticeably well tho not a lot of minutes.
Everyone else played decently and the team after the slow start just kept playing hard on all cylinders.
Do not know what this team will do against better competition but they may be better than projected as the new players seem like they can make a critical difference.
So IF and that is a giant if, Vershy can actually keep these players, by next year this could be a really salty team. But that has been said over and over.

51-32 edge in rebounds. Had 24 offensive boards. 16 steals to 7. Missed 12 of 27 FT’s. Hit 9-27 treys.
If losing to teams you should beat has been a problem this was a good start at breaking bad habits.

Reactions: pufan73 and DocRon
This team has talent. It might be concentrated at the guard positions but if we can play in a way to use that to our advantage, this team could do well. Hopefully we see repeat performances of this in our next 3 games leading into Thanksgiving weekend where they should be challenged in the Virgin Islands. This team always seems to turn in a passable performance in conference play but some slip-ups in the nonconference kept it out of the tournament last year. Last year it lost to 2 MAC teams on its homecourt. You can't have that if you're going to be anywhere close to the bubble.

Reactions: pufan73 and kmot
Agree; I think they will do better than most think. As I said, if Versyp can keep these players, plus the good recruits she has coming in, this team can challenge for the top of the BT next season( not MD tho, I think, remaining one of the few national programs). But we have said that year after year and a new season comes and we say: Where are they? If only...That has to stop.

Thanks for posting. News on WBB is hard to come by and if you're out of state...well...

Exhibit A:

TUCSON, Ariz. – The Arizona women's basketball team finished up exhibition play on Monday night with a 78-41 win over the Western New Mexico Mustangs. Dominique McBryde led the way with 17 points and seven rebounds.

Exhibit A:

TUCSON, Ariz. – The Arizona women's basketball team finished up exhibition play on Monday night with a 78-41 win over the Western New Mexico Mustangs. Dominique McBryde led the way with 17 points and seven rebounds.

She is the one player who has left the program in the last three years whom we miss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT