ADVERTISEMENT

B1G - Addition or Subtraction? Food for Thought.

Feb 7, 2007
Interesting article on CBS.com that talks about the USC/UCLA move to the B1G as well as what might happen with Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Miami, ND, and FSU. Under the "Addition and Subtraction?" section, they mention the possibility of the B1G dropping "underperforming" schools and mention Purdue and Indiana.

First, I don't think Purdue is an underperforming school. It is strong in basketball and currently doing Ok in football. Indiana, maybe. Purdue No. However, with the current state of mind of the B1G and SEC commissioners, I won't take anything for granted.

What do you think?

we gotta win the west and win the Rose bowl and be the last Rose Bowl champs!

Such a dumb line of thinking. Along with Wisconsin and MSU, we've been the most consistent basketball program the last ten years. We just went 9-4 in football with two massive, national conversation-level upsets, and are projected to be a top team in the west with 7-5 being a disappointing season.

We're trending positive for football, and we're a top 15 national program in basketball, and that isn't going to change as long as we have Painter (who's still relatively young for a coach).

Those are the two sports that matter. Non-revenue sports are irrelevant to the media market picture. Northwestern, IU, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Nebraska, strictly performance-wise, have all been worse athletically overall than purdue in recent years.

It's a take that will never end, though, as long as the majority of the media in this state graduates from and continues to suck the **** of a school that, athletically, has had zero national relevance for the last five years.

Interesting that they even consider us and Indiana 'underperforming' yet Rutgers and Northwestern would stay? Asking the question isn't dumb, but that quick conclusion is quite the head scratcher. Revenue-wise, we're nearer the bottom (but not at the bottom), but performance-wise, we're at least in the middle (and so is IU, frankly).

Reactions: joseole101
The mouthbreathers at CBS have no clue.
Even if Purdue was underperforming in revenue sports (which it isn't by any stretch of the imagination) CBS isn't taking into account the academic part of the equation. Outside of athletics, the B1G prides itself on being a strong academic conference. Dropping Purdue just isn't an option they would consider.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Two more teams that IU fans think they should beat from the “west”……..but rarely do.

Seriously, I think the end of divisions happens in 2024.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Seattle and PNW TV markets. That's what this is all about--access to new markets. Hence why Notre Dame will never join the big ten.

That's the only argument that makes sense, but to label it as "underperforming" is just silly. Based on that criteria, Washington can't be mentioned as a possible replacement.

Reactions: joseole101
Interesting article on CBS.com that talks about the USC/UCLA move to the B1G as well as what might happen with Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Miami, ND, and FSU. Under the "Addition and Subtraction?" section, they mention the possibility of the B1G dropping "underperforming" schools and mention Purdue and Indiana.

First, I don't think Purdue is an underperforming school. It is strong in basketball and currently doing Ok in football. Indiana, maybe. Purdue No. However, with the current state of mind of the B1G and SEC commissioners, I won't take anything for granted.

What do you think?

Dodd didn't say very much about what the criteria might be. I get the sense that the Purdue and Indiana reference was more of an illustration than a suggestion. Would it come down to wins and losses or ability or what the school brings to the table in terms of generating revenue?

Dodd didn't say very much about what the criteria might be. I get the sense that the Purdue and Indiana reference was more of an illustration than a suggestion. Would it come down to wins and losses or ability or what the school brings to the table in terms of generating revenue?
IF ND is added, Purdue and IU could both be dumped without losing any BT revenue. But it won't happen, the BT has never kicked out a school. Conference expansion for the BT is about expanding the footprint into new states to increase the BigTen network revenues, something the mouth breathing sports casters don't seem to grasp and like is a concept that is far above their ability to comprehend. Just imagine how hard a sell it would be to dump the team with the only wbb title, the team with the most mens bb titles, and the teams with the most men's conference bb titles that are also founding members. That's a real hard sell

Last edited:
Reactions: purduepat1969
My guess is getting to 18 or 20 teams in the Super Conferences just might be the goal and then each could split up into which teams will be farm teams for the NFL, NBA and MLB with no academics but strict limits on NIL $ and two year renewable rides. The remaining teams would follow the NCAA rules as they have and will evolve with two year rides but maintaining their academic rules and no NIL $.

Notre Dame will be the next team to join the big ten.
Maybe by the end of the month, the Pac12 teams can move for free in a limited window, and I think the BT would like to accept Oregon and Washington, they are just wanting to see if ND is coming so they can plan for the who to pursue for the 20th member. So far the 4 Pac12 schools all came to the BT with their hats in their hands wanting membership, the BT did not pursue this. By leaving Oregon and Washington hanging, that puts pressure on ND that they know they have a limited window because we won't wait for them long before pulling the trigger and leaving them the choice of SEC or obscurity, and they HATE both those choices. IF ND drags their feet I think the BT stands pat at 16 for a year to plan the next move before dismantling the PAC12.

Last edited:
Reactions: PUQBMan.
Yeah it’s a dumb take. The presidents vote on this stuff. Can you imagine the presidents saying “we don’t want to be associated with Purdue anymore”?

I can understand why this conclusion is reached by some people, but to me it only illustrates their ignorance.

Notre Dame will be the next team to join the big ten.
I tend to agree. They are quickly running out of good options. NBC only pays them $15M per year through 2025 and the ACC deal with ESPN is small money too and they don’t even get a full share of that - as it should be considering they are not even full members for football.

The only way notre dame gets in the big ten is if they come begging on their knees. They’ve been asked twice and turned down the invite both times. The last time they apparently really pissed off the conference higher ups with their attitude. At that time they were told they would never be asked again.

The only way notre dame gets in the big ten is if they come begging on their knees. They’ve been asked twice and turned down the invite both times. The last time they apparently really pissed off the conference higher ups with their attitude. At that time they were told they would never be asked again.
Apparently the offer has been made, but I don't expect the academic arm to allow them membership until they meet aau standards. That was a one time inducement and they spurned it

IF ND is added, Purdue and IU could both be dumped without losing any BT revenue. But it won't happen, the BT has never kicked out a school. Conference expansion for the BT is about expanding the footprint into new states to increase the BigTen network revenues, something the mouth breathing sports casters don't seem to grasp and like is a concept that is far above their ability to comprehend. Just imagine how hard a sell it would be to dump the team with the only wbb title, the team with the most mens bb titles, and the teams with the most men's conference bb titles that are also founding members. That's a real hard sell
There is also the risk of what dumping schools may mean in terms of being able to attract new schools to a conference. Leaders of schools seeking to join one of the "big two" might wonder "when will my school be on the chopping block?" and then favor joining the other "big" conference instead. So there is reputational risk in forcing any school to exit the B1G that I just don't see the presidents having the appetite for.

Reactions: MichaelRR
The California, Washington and Oregon legislatures are going to put pressure on this deal. They will not want Cal, OSU and WSU to be left out. They will want the respective state schools to be together. This is far from a done deal. Legislatures put more money into UCLA, Oregon and Washington than the tv deals.

The BigTen has already approached ND. It’s fantasy to think the will need to “come begging on their knees”. Please cite your last sentence. I don’t see any way that happened, and even if it somehow did, it would have been an obvious bluff.

Reactions: purduepat1969

First, I don't think Purdue is an under performing school. It is strong in basketball and currently doing Ok in football. Indiana, maybe. Purdue No. However, with the current state of mind of the B1G and SEC commissioners, I won't take anything for granted.

What do you think?

When has any conference "dropped" a school? Nothing comes immediately to mind. Maybe I vaguely remember something like this happening when some Division IAA school did not upgrade its facilities as required, but that's a non-compliance issue. I cannot recall any conference kicking out a school for being bad (I mean everyone needs a homecoming opponent)

I believe the future of conferences will be based on potential Tv revenue and Tv marketing rather than performance or academics. What and when was the last major bowl game Purdue appeared in? And no the music city and Outback bowls don’t count. From a TV marketing perspective, who would generate a higher Tv package amount? Purdue or Oregon or Notre Dame? Regardless of performance what basketball team would people rather watch? Purdue or Duke?

I believe with the addition of usc and ucla that academics and performance are no longer considerations. The addition of Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland were made based on marketing rather than academics.

if the big ten wanted academics, their choice would have been Stanford. Or Princeton. Or Boston college.

it’s becoming clear what was once thought as unthinkable is now becoming a possibility.

the future football championship may no longer include independents. And the BiG 10 payout is a lot more than the ACC payout. It’s highly possible Notre dame finally joins the big ten. Their hockey team is already a part of us. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Duke and UNC apply for membership. As I said the BIG network payout is a lot bigger than the ACC payout.

something that hasn’t been talked about much. They keep talking about conference buy out requirements. Cincy looked at its conference buyout requirements and then looked at its future potential revenue and decided they could leave early because the future increase in revenue paid for the buyout. Duke could look at it and use the same thinking that the increased revenue from being part of the big 10 would pay for their buyout. And I’m sure the BIG 10 would love to market Duke as part of their basketball package.

I believe the future of conferences will be based on potential Tv revenue and Tv marketing rather than performance or academics. What and when was the last major bowl game Purdue appeared in? And no the music city and Outback bowls don’t count. From a TV marketing perspective, who would generate a higher Tv package amount? Purdue or Oregon or Notre Dame? Regardless of performance what basketball team would people rather watch? Purdue or Duke?

I believe with the addition of usc and ucla that academics and performance are no longer considerations. The addition of Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland were made based on marketing rather than academics.

if the big ten wanted academics, their choice would have been Stanford. Or Princeton. Or Boston college.

it’s becoming clear what was once thought as unthinkable is now becoming a possibility.

the future football championship may no longer include independents. And the BiG 10 payout is a lot more than the ACC payout. It’s highly possible Notre dame finally joins the big ten. Their hockey team is already a part of us. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Duke and UNC apply for membership. As I said the BIG network payout is a lot bigger than the ACC payout.

something that hasn’t been talked about much. They keep talking about conference buy out requirements. Cincy looked at its conference buyout requirements and then looked at its future potential revenue and decided they could leave early because the future increase in revenue paid for the buyout. Duke could look at it and use the same thinking that the increased revenue from being part of the big 10 would pay for their buyout. And I’m sure the BIG 10 would love to market Duke as part of their basketball package.
You clearly are not informed on the last five teams that have joined per your academics comment. All were AAU members, Nebraska got removed when the AAU changed a criteria and no longer counted the med school at Lincoln for Nebraska's meeting some benchmark. Oregon and Washington are also AAU members. There are 65 schools in the AAU... And you can pretty much bet all but one of our future expansions will be from those schools. They will also bring a large media market and at least decent athletics. The Big Ten is not chasing but one school, ND, also the only non AAU school that will be considered. The PAC schools came to is, and after ND decides it's course we will accept Washington and Oregon and probably two more of Co, Az, or Utah depending on how fast they react to the PAC collapsing. Still all AAI schools in new states to our footprint and new media makers for the BT network contact.

ADVERTISEMENT