ADVERTISEMENT

Autographs on Fan Day

Apr 26, 2015
I went to this event a few years ago and was able to get the schedule poster autographed by all the players. The article for this year’s event says the players will only be signing signature cards. This is apparently in line with what they have done the last couple of years. Can anyone explain what these signature cards are or if anyone has had any luck getting the schedule poster signed? I had the poster that everyone signed a few years back mounted and framed and I think it looks great, but I don’t know how excited I would be about just a blank cards with a bunch of signatures on it. Thanks for any info.

I went to this event a few years ago and was able to get the schedule poster autographed by all the players. The article for this year’s event says the players will only be signing signature cards. This is apparently in line with what they have done the last couple of years. Can anyone explain what these signature cards are or if anyone has had any luck getting the schedule poster signed? I had the poster that everyone signed a few years back mounted and framed and I think it looks great, but I don’t know how excited I would be about just a blank cards with a bunch of signatures on it. Thanks for any info.
It's NIL related, fans get posters and other memorabilia signed and then sell them. Unfortunate side effect for people like you who want them for their own use but I can understand Purdue and the players' perspective.

Thank you for the response. I assumed it had something to do with this. Have you seen these signature cards? I’d like to know what those look like. Are they just blank cards that the players sign? Do they have their names on them at least?

Thank you for the response. I assumed it had something to do with this. Have you seen these signature cards? I’d like to know what those look like. Are they just blank cards that the players sign? Do they have their names on them at least?
I have not, sorry.

Help me understand how NIL and this event are linked.

You give me a free poster and I have players sign it and then I sell it or keep it. Player gets zero $$ in that equation.

You give me an "autograph card" I have players sign it and I sell it or keep it. Player gets zero $$ in that equation.

I must be missing something, I don't see how the players were going to make anything either way on this event. It's a fan day, it isn't set up to make anyone any money that I can see. It's just for the fans, hence the name. Now if what you are saying is that by giving the fans something nicer to have signed it is more likely they will sell if for $$, then I guess that is probably true, but I don't see how that affects the players pocket. They weren't going to get paid either way, poster or no poster.

Help me understand how NIL and this event are linked.

You give me a free poster and I have players sign it and then I sell it or keep it. Player gets zero $$ in that equation.

You give me an "autograph card" I have players sign it and I sell it or keep it. Player gets zero $$ in that equation.

I must be missing something, I don't see how the players were going to make anything either way on this event. It's a fan day, it isn't set up to make anyone any money that I can see. It's just for the fans, hence the name. Now if what you are saying is that by giving the fans something nicer to have signed it is more likely they will sell if for $$, then I guess that is probably true, but I don't see how that affects the players pocket. They weren't going to get paid either way, poster or no poster.
Players can and do sell memorabilia that they've signed. If one assumes that the market for said memorabilia is fixed or semi fixed, the ability to buy a signed item on ebay from a fan reduces the market for fans to buy directly from the players or from sources that pay the players to sign their items.

Players can and do sell memorabilia that they've signed. If one assumes that the market for said memorabilia is fixed or semi fixed, the ability to buy a signed item on ebay from a fan reduces the market for fans to buy directly from the players or from sources that pay the players to sign their items.
Fair enough. I'm not an autograph person so I'm not into that market at all. I wouldn't think anyone not named Edey would have much of a market for their signature on something, but maybe I'm way off on that.

Yet another way that NIL has failed and contributes to the decline of college sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT