ADVERTISEMENT

Austin vs IU

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
During last week's chalk talk, Keady mentioned Chad hitting 2 game winning shots versus IU. I even vaguely remember more than one.

However, I can only find one online. It's at IU, 1997, and Guyton had a phenomenal game. Link is below.

But when is the other game winner he hit? Does a video exist?

Not sure, but I remember the one you linked fondly... watched it from my room in Wiley Hall. That floor erupted when he hit that shot. Good memories!

Right. The year before in regulation and the following year in OT.
I was at both games and the first one was stopped early on the first half due to a rim malfunction after a dunk by Mandeville. Purdue led by about 15 at halftime but IU made a game of it in the second half.
I had snuck down to floor level from row 40 in OT and remember that shot like it was yesterday. Huge shots both games and why I call the Chad and Brad teams the IU slayers.
The 97 game was where I believe it was Eldridge who kicked the ball after the buzzer into the north student section.
Great memories.

Reactions: punaj
Right. The year before in regulation and the following year in OT.
I was at both games and the first one was stopped early on the first half due to a rim malfunction after a dunk by Mandeville. Purdue led by about 15 at halftime but IU made a game of it in the second half.
I had snuck down to floor level from row 40 in OT and remember that shot like it was yesterday. Huge shots both games and why I call the Chad and Brad teams the IU slayers.
The 97 game was where I believe it was Eldridge who kicked the ball after the buzzer into the north student section.
Great memories.
I remember Foster stomping on the floor at center court and Byrd waiving his hands to the crowd after the game. The first win, I remember there were about 0.4 seconds left and IU through the ball to Patterson at 1/2 court who bobbled it, picked it up and hit the rim with the shot. The ref was motioning that it would have counted and this was before replay. Had to be 1 - 2 seconds before he got it off. GK would have killed somebody if that ball would have gone in.

Reactions: proudopete
Yep. That was the year they decided to have the cheerleaders surround the logo at midcourt at the buzzer.

It was a brawl for sure. Patterson was a beast as were Chad and Brad.

It took about 15 minutes to change the rim. The only time I ever seen that happen.

That team had Collier and Neil Reed as well. Reed had a decent game in 98 and took the final shot and made it, for IU right before Austin hit the game winner.

Great memories of those two games. Austin what cold blooded and he absolutely stuck a dagger in the hearts of iu two years in a row in Assembly hall.
Woody used to meet us out at Durkin's in the late 90's early 00's to watch Boiler games when Durkins was the Purdue bar in Chicago. If I recall, Chad was playing professional overseas during that time.
Woody's wife, (I believe ex now) was involved in politics, maybe a speech writer or something like that.

Watching some of those over videos. The '94 game at UM, we were all in a bar in Key West because the game was during spring break. We have about 40 Purdue students in the bar watching and the place went crazy. It was a late afternoon game and I remember not many of us making it til dark. Too many 'Boilermakers' being consumed.

I remember Foster stomping on the floor at center court and Byrd waiving his hands to the crowd after the game. The first win, I remember there were about 0.4 seconds left and IU through the ball to Patterson at 1/2 court who bobbled it, picked it up and hit the rim with the shot. The ref was motioning that it would have counted and this was before replay. Had to be 1 - 2 seconds before he got it off. GK would have killed somebody if that ball would have gone in.

I have tried to find video or even a photo of the "logo stomp" by Foster.........anyone find it?

Byrd didn't play back then??

I can't find it. I did find last year.
I love the energy by Haas and AJ.

Can wait to see what the new and improved version does down there this year.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Yep. That was the year they decided to have the cheerleaders surround the logo at midcourt at the buzzer.

It was a brawl for sure. Patterson was a beast as were Chad and Brad.

It took about 15 minutes to change the rim. The only time I ever seen that happen.

That team had Collier and Neil Reed as well. Reed had a decent game in 98 and took the final shot and made it, for IU right before Austin hit the game winner.
I thought Guyton hit a 3 to tie it before Austins shot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT