ADVERTISEMENT

Asst coach

Mar 9, 2004
Who would be some of the top AAU coaches be for Matt's staff. Or would that be too much of a salary decrease ? Seems to me these guys have taken over recruiting

How would you know who to trust these days? Many of these so called top recruiters have their hands in someone's pocket, and vice versa. Now we know why some of these guys are good recruiters LOL. I would like to see PU get good recruits, but for the right reasons.

Who would be some of the top AAU coaches be for Matt's staff. Or would that be too much of a salary decrease ? Seems to me these guys have taken over recruiting
I would NEVER hire an AAU coach as an assistant. They have no clue except run and gun and coddle the stars. Absolutely worthless hires.

I would still go with Mike Lewis. Lewis, was at Butler for five seasons, serving under Brad Stevens, Brandon Miller and Chris Holtmann. He's been the Assistant HC at Nebraska for four years. He was previously an assistant at Eastern Illinois (2005-11) and Stephen F. Austin (2004-05) and a graduate assistant under Bob Knight at Texas Tech.

To me, that's a damned impressive resume.

Last edited:
I would NEVER hire an AAU coach as an assistant. They have no clue except run and gun and coddle the stars. Absolutely worthless hires.

I would still go with Mike Lewis. Lewis, was at Butler for five seasons, serving under Brad Stevens, Brandon Miller and Chris Holtmann. He's been the Assistant HC at Nebraska for four years. He was previously an assistant at Eastern Illinois (2005-11) and Stephen F. Austin (2004-05) and a graduate assistant under Bob Knight at Texas Tech.

Wonder why he didn’t get the Butler HC job.

I'd love to see Brian Ayers if he doesn't take the Lipsomb job or stay at Belmont. Guy is an efficiency wizard on offense.

Other guy that would be good is Roger Powell. Big Ten guy with great recruiting past at Valpo and Vandy

Both these guys work with the 4s so they would be good replacements for Gary there.

Seemed to work for Purdue. Brandon Brantley coached Eric Gordon's AAU U16 team before being hired on as an assistant. Guessing you didn't know that though and guessing you wouldn't call Brantley a worthless hire given how Purdue's big men have developed in his 6 years.

Last edited:
I'm not sharp on the AAU coaches at all but if you are going the route of influential AAU types, you'd be hard pressed not to go after Frank Kendrick or if you want younger...Kristoff Kendrick (Frank's son). Both are as influential AAU types as you'll find in Indiana.

That being said, I doubt Frank would want to coach but to have him a part of the program (which I think CMP has done a good job of over the last 4-5 years). Kristoff, I have absolutely no idea about his coaching ability or acumen. I know of my personal experience with him when we were younger on a travel basketball team. He was ultra talented then but loved to shoot the ball. He was a good kid then though and some one I enjoyed playing with.

I'm not sharp on the AAU coaches at all but if you are going the route of influential AAU types, you'd be hard pressed not to go after Frank Kendrick or if you want younger...Kristoff Kendrick (Frank's son). Both are as influential AAU types as you'll find in Indiana.

That being said, I doubt Frank would want to coach but to have him a part of the program (which I think CMP has done a good job of over the last 4-5 years). Kristoff, I have absolutely no idea about his coaching ability or acumen. I know of my personal experience with him when we were younger on a travel basketball team. He was ultra talented then but loved to shoot the ball. He was a good kid then though and some one I enjoyed playing with.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-07-01-9907010099-story,amp.html

Perhaps you’ve forgotten what happened 20 years ago? I don’t think having Frank back in an official capacity would be good for the program.

Seemed to work for Purdue. Brandon Brantley coached Eric Gordon's AAU U16 team before being hired on as an assistant. Guessing you didn't know that though and guessing you wouldn't call Brantley a worthless hire given how Purdue's big men have developed in his 6 years.
I stand by my statement about AAU coaches. Once in a great while, that acorn falls from the right tree.

Reactions: Flot
Just a guess, but doubt the AAU position helped with anything other than other AAU coaching contacts. Brandon had a coach in high school (Bob Buscher-Bretts dad) that did a good job in the late 70s at Clinton Central with bigs and we know Keady did a good job with Bigs. My guess is that Brandon learned more through previous coaches than AAU. How much teaching goes on in AAU?

Just a guess, but doubt the AAU position helped with anything other than other AAU coaching contacts. Brandon had a coach in high school (Bob Buscher-Bretts dad) that did a good job in the late 70s at Clinton Central with bigs and we know Keady did a good job with Bigs. My guess is that Brandon learned more through previous coaches than AAU. How much teaching goes on in AAU?
The next time I see an AAU "Coach" teach anything other than how to sign that check will be the first. My opinon, AAU has ruined the game of basketball.

That wasn’t really my point. Was simply responding to a comment that hiring AAU coaches (which Brantley was) are ALL worthless hires. You won’t find a big that has come through Purdue since Hammons (when Brantley was hired) that wouldn’t say Brantley was anything but instrumental in their development.

I agree that AAU is more about exposure and recruiting than it is teaching and development, but to say there aren’t coaches in the AAU and grassroots ranks who don’t know what they’re doing as TD suggested is egregious at best.

AAU basketball, travel baseball, club volleyball, the list goes on ... all are filled with coaches who really don't coach or teach. Oh, the programs will try to sell you that they do.

I've had a lot of exposure to travel baseball. "We're different. We're a developmental program. We don't just roll the ball out on the field."

Poppycock. They're all the same. It's about making money. Nothing wrong with that, but they really don't teach. If you want development, it's up to you, the player, you the parent.

I spent a lot of time AND money on my kids' development. Not because I thought they would be college or pro stars, but because they wanted to be better. There was a life lesson there: if you want to get better, BE better. Work at it on your own.

Okay... I went down a rabbit trail there.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
That wasn’t really my point. Was simply responding to a comment that hiring AAU coaches (which Brantley was) are ALL worthless hires. You won’t find a big that has come through Purdue since Hammons (when Brantley was hired) that wouldn’t say Brantley was anything but instrumental in their development.

I agree that AAU is more about exposure and recruiting than it is teaching and development, but to say there aren’t coaches in the AAU and grassroots ranks who don’t know what they’re doing as TD suggested is egregious at best.
I have not kept up with AAU to know for certain, but thought most if not almost all of the time was playing games. If true, such as what Twin suggested...TEACHING does not have the time to develop. If those in AAU knew a lot they still might not have the opportunity to teach. Twins comments were about teaching rather than inherent knowledge I thought? Those two thoughts are entirely different

Check the record of Howe while he coached there!!!!! Damned impressive. He has solid assistants too ...

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Check the record of Howe while he coached there!!!!! Damned impressive. He has solid assistants too ...
I haven't followed kristoff, but thought he had a good CC coach...cant remember his name but got in trouble and resigned zI was thinking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT