ADVERTISEMENT

As we think about this year

Jun 1, 2019
I feel like no matter what happens, this is going to be a team the likes of which many of us have never seen in 2020... that, to me, is equally true whether we go 5-7 and miss a bowl losing out last game, and it’s Chernobyl time, or whether we go 8-4 and we roll in a bowl game.

Stuff happens, players leave early, leave the program for other reasons, suffer injuries like worship, but you look at it unit by unit for 2020, and the difference in number of likely impact players and players for whom it will be “time” is staggering.

QB - Elijah Sindelar May go. If he stays great, if not, you’ve got Jack Plummer, the QB whom Brohm seems to see as his chosen one, waiting in the wings. Sipe may go and you have O’Connell (whom Brohm likes a lot), Piferi with 0 pressure on Alaimo to play.

RB - Worship and fuller go, but you’ve got Doerue and Hewitt either coming off redshirt or having played, a four star in Murphy coming in and Horvath as I believe a junior.

TE - Hopkins is a big loss, but again, Pittman will be a senior with Miller and Bilodeau coming off shirting.

WR - Moore will be a senior, the big three will have either shirted or played, and it’s likely two of them play, Sparks will be a senior, anything we get from the current RS freshmen will be a bonus and you likely see the addition of Carr, Moore and Sullivan will be here. We may not need any of them to play. And tj Sheffield and anthrop ... loaded.

OL - McCann departs but it will have been a year where players like Beach, Holstege, Stickford, Bramel, McKenna go through the growing pains. Jornigan will come off of shirting... you’d think by then Brohm will have at least a solid group here. Worth noting that criddle May play, play well, and he graduates.

DE - Karlaftis and Hunter will likely have played and be entrenched for big snaps. Higgins will depart but that shouldn’t register. Barnes will be a senior, Deen or Stokes May have seen some time

DT - Neal to me is the biggest loss, even more so than Bailey, because huge NTs aren’t easily replaced. Johnson stepping in and doing OKAY, or failing to do so, would be the biggest potential problem. Watts is a senior, Faucheux should be rotating in with him, and there’s a potentially huge recruit that I wouldn’t count us out for.

LB - Bailey to me is 2 or 2a as a loss along with Brycen Hopkins.. no denying that. Holt will be gone too, but Jones will return and you’ve got Alexander who will have played... they do need to figure something out between smith, wahlberg and whoever else. I expect to see a lot of Ball and Graham this year (if he’s not a starting S) up front. Conceivable to see Marvin grant up there in 2020 as well.

CB - again more riches than I’m used to seeing at Purdue. Major and Mackey will be juniors, smiley a senior, Cam Allen should see the field as a RS Fr.

S - Mosley will be gone, B. Thienemann will be a senior, and you’ll have Graham, Grant, Ball all with at least a year under their belt.

The moral of the story? It’s hard not to be as excited about that season as I was going into 05 LOL.

So, no matter the bumpy ride that 19 is sure to be, it may be the last time for a while ...

I feel like no matter what happens, this is going to be a team the likes of which many of us have never seen in 2020... that, to me, is equally true whether we go 5-7 and miss a bowl losing out last game, and it’s Chernobyl time, or whether we go 8-4 and we roll in a bowl game.

Stuff happens, players leave early, leave the program for other reasons, suffer injuries like worship, but you look at it unit by unit for 2020, and the difference in number of likely impact players and players for whom it will be “time” is staggering.

QB - Elijah Sindelar May go. If he stays great, if not, you’ve got Jack Plummer, the QB whom Brohm seems to see as his chosen one, waiting in the wings. Sipe may go and you have O’Connell (whom Brohm likes a lot), Piferi with 0 pressure on Alaimo to play.

RB - Worship and fuller go, but you’ve got Doerue and Hewitt either coming off redshirt or having played, a four star in Murphy coming in and Horvath as I believe a junior.

TE - Hopkins is a big loss, but again, Pittman will be a senior with Miller and Bilodeau coming off shirting.

WR - Moore will be a senior, the big three will have either shirted or played, and it’s likely two of them play, Sparks will be a senior, anything we get from the current RS freshmen will be a bonus and you likely see the addition of Carr, Moore and Sullivan will be here. We may not need any of them to play. And tj Sheffield and anthrop ... loaded.

OL - McCann departs but it will have been a year where players like Beach, Holstege, Stickford, Bramel, McKenna go through the growing pains. Jornigan will come off of shirting... you’d think by then Brohm will have at least a solid group here. Worth noting that criddle May play, play well, and he graduates.

DE - Karlaftis and Hunter will likely have played and be entrenched for big snaps. Higgins will depart but that shouldn’t register. Barnes will be a senior, Deen or Stokes May have seen some time

DT - Neal to me is the biggest loss, even more so than Bailey, because huge NTs aren’t easily replaced. Johnson stepping in and doing OKAY, or failing to do so, would be the biggest potential problem. Watts is a senior, Faucheux should be rotating in with him, and there’s a potentially huge recruit that I wouldn’t count us out for.

LB - Bailey to me is 2 or 2a as a loss along with Brycen Hopkins.. no denying that. Holt will be gone too, but Jones will return and you’ve got Alexander who will have played... they do need to figure something out between smith, wahlberg and whoever else. I expect to see a lot of Ball and Graham this year (if he’s not a starting S) up front. Conceivable to see Marvin grant up there in 2020 as well.

CB - again more riches than I’m used to seeing at Purdue. Major and Mackey will be juniors, smiley a senior, Cam Allen should see the field as a RS Fr.

S - Mosley will be gone, B. Thienemann will be a senior, and you’ll have Graham, Grant, Ball all with at least a year under their belt.

The moral of the story? It’s hard not to be as excited about that season as I was going into 05 LOL.

So, no matter the bumpy ride that 19 is sure to be, it may be the last time for a while ...

Yeah it looks like 2020 is the year of a tipping point. We either start winning 8+ routinely, or people start turning on Brohm given his contract.

For the first time since I can remember, the Oline will have 11 scholarship players participating in spring ball. All with at least 1 year in the program. That is huge, and should yield 5 solid starters.

WR, RB, S, DE will also have more talent than we’ve seen since Tiller. And they will mostly be young with 1-3 years left after 2020. Should be a fun year.

Yeah it looks like 2020 is the year of a tipping point. We either start winning 8+ routinely, or people start turning on Brohm given his contract.

For the first time since I can remember, the Oline will have 11 scholarship players participating in spring ball. All with at least 1 year in the program. That is huge, and should yield 5 solid starters.

WR, RB, S, DE will also have more talent than we’ve seen since Tiller. And they will mostly be young with 1-3 years left after 2020. Should be a fun year.

I think tiller had the same talent at S and DE.. but runningback and receiver it’s not close. I think when you talk about Daniels, Sutherland, stubblefield and standeford, you’re talking about guys who were average talents, very good fundamentals, with NFL QB talent throwing to them (in one case one of the best ever) in a system that would have sprung them open (at the time, because defenses hadn’t caught up) even if the QBs were just college talents.. Drew Tate, if put in the shoes of Drew Brees, would have still had somewhat of a field day in Tiller’s system.

I never thought the running backs under tiller were complete backs with high talent.. other than Harris. Sheets was not a between the tackles back, void and Lowe were not above average talents. I don’t think Bolden played until big dan the rent man was coaching..

I’m just chomping at the bit cause you said it better than I did.. those backs, receivers, TEs and QBs BUT with 11 scholarship OL with time in the program. That’s the huge difference from tiller...

Durham’s the #2 TE going into Fall camp this year, And he’s a RS Freshman, so where do you have him going? Rondale will only be a Junior not a Senior, and Eric miller will factor in the oline and Amad Anderson will at WR. I’m also a big fan of Pfeiri’s potential. All my opinions of course.

Last edited:
Durham’s the #2 TE going into Fall camp this year, And he’s a RS Freshman, so where do you have him going? Rondale will only be a Junior not a Senior, and Eric miller will factor in the oline and Amad Anderson will at WR. I’m also a big fan of Pfeiri’s potential. All my opinions of course.

Who transferred? Oh I was confusing him with tressel my bad ... even better for 2020

Bilodeau will be our second TE this year. Dude is a straight physical freak. Tested incredibly higher than even Karlaftis in physical metrics testing at the opening. Will be hard to keep him off the field. Will be hard to keep him here 4 years.

Reactions: Boilerinspirit
Bilodeau will be our second TE this year. Dude is a straight physical freak. Tested incredibly higher than even Karlaftis in physical metrics testing at the opening. Will be hard to keep him off the field. Will be hard to keep him here 4 years.
I think Durham will be the second TE due to his blocking ability. Think we are going to need a 6th blocker at times this year to keep Sindelar clean.

I could see KB getting snaps flexed out in place of Hopkins.

Miller Appears to be more athletic than Bilodeau. If you watch film, he’s faster, quicker, better blocker, same hands, played tougher comp. Just didn’t camp and do all the Combine type stuff. Both will be good in their time here. Also whoever can grasp playbook will probably see the field first while the other redshirts. All IMHO of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilerplatedeal
Miller Appears to be more athletic than Bilodeau. If you watch film, he’s faster, quicker, better blocker, same hands, played tougher comp. Just didn’t camp and do all the Combine type stuff. Both will be good in their time here. Also whoever can grasp playbook will probably see the field first while the other redshirts. All IMHO of course.
Measurables don’t lie. Bilodeau tested in the top 50 of all HS Srs last year.

It would be nice if what you are saying is true but you have nothing to back it up but bias and feeling.

Measurables don’t lie. Bilodeau tested in the top 50 of all HS Srs last year.

It would be nice if what you are saying is true but you have nothing to back it up but bias and feeling.
And measurables can be skewed as a lot of players ( many , many in fact) don’t go through the Opening combines, and combine drills don’t always correlate with actually playing football. I watched the film and in my opinion saw Miller better , especially considering levels of competition. I will restate... think both will be good and glad both are at Purdue.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
And measurables can be skewed as a lot of players ( many , many in fact) don’t go through the Opening combines, and combine drills don’t always correlate with actually playing football. I watched the film and in my opinion saw Miller better , especially considering levels of competition. I will restate... think both will be good and glad both are at Purdue.

The point of the thread is that we have a looooot or returning talent next year and a lot of guys who will not have played huge roles in 2019, but who will be good recruits who are rising to their 3rd and 4th year in the program..

That... we have never lost (I’ve followed since 98) players like Brycen Hopkins, Markus Bailey and Lorenzo Neal (as well as lesser, but still significant players like McCann, Mosley, Fuller etc) and frankly not sucked ... losing 8 guys to the NFL and then having to rely on some of the 04 defenders showed as the season went on.

This will not be like when Kelly butler entered the NFL and then we had to rely on David Owen, only to watch him seemingly get lifted off the ground and shoved into Ortons lap...

Your reply seems to be “oh yeah, well we will have an embarrassment of riches at tight end, so there...” Lol

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Bilodeau finished 30 overall last year and #1 TE in Nike. Also, now they are both on campus all those stats are meaningless. Also KB turned in that performance with severe blisters on both feet. 2 weeks after that, with blisters gone, he turned in a 4.66 40 (on film). That would have taken his score to top 15 Nationally. With all that said, the proof is on the field and weight room now: Both kids results: (Trying to post screenshots...it’s not working)

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Bilodeau finished 30 overall last year and #1 TE in Nike. Also, now they are both on campus all those stats are meaningless. Also KB turned in that performance with severe blisters on both feet. 2 weeks after that, with blisters gone, he turned in a 4.66 40 (on film). That would have taken his score to top 15 Nationally. With all that said, the proof is on the field and weight room now: Both kids results: (Trying to post screenshots...it’s not working)
Again, not a lot of kids do the Opening. Rivals ranking of 38th TE. There are 8 TEs ranked higher in 2019 coming into our conference alone. And as you said, and I said in a prior post, all the rankings/stars/combines, etc are meaningless now. For the 3rd time... I’m glad both of these TEs are with us as I believe they will both be good players. Not sure what screenshots ur trying to post.

Reactions: Moverb
I was trying to post both Miller and KBs Opening results as both participated. And you are right, by rivals ratings. However by composite ratings, KB was the 3rd highest rated TE in BIG (after All and Strange).

I was trying to post both Miller and KBs Opening results as both participated. And you are right, by rivals ratings. However by composite ratings, KB was the 3rd highest rated TE in BIG (after All and Strange).
Again, all meaningless now. It’s about football not combine results. Game changes when pads go on. That’s why coaches like game film vs 7 on 7 film or combine stuff. Metrics are certainly important but so is the stuff that goes on between the lines when the whistle blows. I think we have a good TE group altogether. Hope they will compliment our talented outside WRs and Slots.

All the pieces are there for the 2019 football season unless there is a late grad transfer. It will be nice to see how the more recent recruits perform and see how all the pieces mesh during camp and later during the actual season. No reason for wild guessing what's going to happen when it WILL happen in another two weeks.

One thing I'm liking leading into this season is the schedule setup. Start with a road game that is definitely winnable, but not (as far as we know) in a raucous environment. The next 2 games get progressively harder, but both at home. One will be an emotional Tyler Trent tribute, and the other should be a solid contest and a night game. I love night games!! Then we start the conference season after a bye week, against probably our most similar opponent in Minnesota. Penn State will obviously not be an easy game, but if we are 3-1 at the time, a loss isn't crippling. The next 4 games are clearly winnable, facing probably the 2 worst conference teams on the schedule in Illinois and Maryland, OMHR, and a Nebraska team we throttled last year now at home. 2-2 should be the low expectation in that set of games. Then back-to-back the meat of the schedule at Northwestern and at Wisconsin, but with a bye week in between. Can't expect to win either one, but both games from last year leave horrible tastes in our players' mouths. Then finish with Indiana which hopefully isn't a 5-6 vs 5-6 game once again.

One thing I'm liking leading into this season is the schedule setup. Start with a road game that is definitely winnable, but not (as far as we know) in a raucous environment. The next 2 games get progressively harder, but both at home. One will be an emotional Tyler Trent tribute, and the other should be a solid contest and a night game. I love night games!! Then we start the conference season after a bye week, against probably our most similar opponent in Minnesota. Penn State will obviously not be an easy game, but if we are 3-1 at the time, a loss isn't crippling. The next 4 games are clearly winnable, facing probably the 2 worst conference teams on the schedule in Illinois and Maryland, OMHR, and a Nebraska team we throttled last year now at home. 2-2 should be the low expectation in that set of games. Then back-to-back the meat of the schedule at Northwestern and at Wisconsin, but with a bye week in between. Can't expect to win either one, but both games from last year leave horrible tastes in our players' mouths. Then finish with Indiana which hopefully isn't a 5-6 vs 5-6 game once again.
I’m hoping we don’t overlook Vandy . They weren’t that bad last year and went to a Bowl. Lost to #5 Notre Dame by 5, lost to #7 Florida by 10 and lost to #12 Kentucky by 7. I think that may be a tougher game than we think.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I’m hoping we don’t overlook Vandy . They weren’t that bad last year and went to a Bowl. Lost to #5 Notre Dame by 5, lost to #7 Florida by 10 and lost to #12 Kentucky by 7. I think that may be a tougher game than we think.
I think they will be tough. They lost Shurmur though.

ADVERTISEMENT