ADVERTISEMENT

As much as it pains me to say but Minnesota is the best of the West

Yeah. They're there a bit by process of elimination, but sometimes that's all it takes. PJ Fleck is still a douche (despite being a pretty good coach). Heck, even Illinois is not a pushover this year.

Reactions: Indy_Rider and BSIT
Fleck owns Brohm. It was marked as a loss before the season began.
Just hope MN overlooks Purdue and we play a clean game to sneak out with a W.
If Purdue can get back a good amount of players return to health, we can play with them. Keep the process of eliminating stupid mistakes and we might be in it till the end..crazy things happen in the game

Got the oars working in East Lansing
Not even close...and, there are many who love to bash Fleck, but, the job he has done/is doing is impressive...don't care if you like him or not...guy has done a great job on the whole there.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Yeah, gonna go ahead and mark next week down as an L
You can mark the next two down pretty likely.

Next week could just be flat ugly for that matter, especially if Purdue is still down guys. That effort tonight...they lost by 40 in Minneapolis.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Just hope MN overlooks Purdue and we play a clean game to sneak out with a W.
If Purdue can get back a good amount of players return to health, we can play with them. Keep the process of eliminating stupid mistakes and we might be in it till the end..crazy things happen in the game
The timing of the game is favorable for Purdue...them coming home off a huge win...Purdue looking brutal against FAU...it sets up nice in that way, but, let's be honest...that effort tonight was SO bad, while personnel is part of it, scheme defensively is not good, and, neither is the personnel...Minnesota/Morgan/Ibrahim will have a field day next week...the only impactful guy on the defense to get back is Graham, and, as good as he is (especially on this defense), I don't think he can make near enough a difference to compensate for all of the other assorted issues unfortunately.

The timing of the game is favorable for Purdue...them coming home off a huge win...Purdue looking brutal against FAU...it sets up nice in that way, but, let's be honest...that effort tonight was SO bad, while personnel is part of it, scheme defensively is not good, and, neither is the personnel...Minnesota/Morgan/Ibrahim will have a field day next week...the only impactful guy on the defense to get back is Graham, and, as good as he is (especially on this defense), I don't think he can make near enough a difference to compensate for all of the other assorted issues unfortunately.
Agree in principle and % chance of Purdue coming away with a W is low as in < 10%. However, game day and redemption can be remembered by these Sr’s. Pull off the upset and our season can look better in a hurry.

Agree in principle and % chance of Purdue coming away with a W is low as in < 10%. However, game day and redemption can be remembered by these Sr’s. Pull off the upset and our season can look better in a hurry.
I don't disagree...I just don't see though after what I watched tonight, how it happens, as, Purdue was all but dominated by a FAU team that does not even approach what Minnesota is capable of offensively.

A loss tonight, and, Purdue was incredibly fortunate to have avoided one, and, this season would genuinely be on the brink (with two more potential losses in the next two weeks).

In that Fleck has generally owned Brohm, and, given what FAU did tonight...I think you are right with respect to your potential likelihood of a win, and, it is even less than that if they don't get O'Connell back.

The opportunity is there for sure, but this looks to be the biggest mismatch in recent years with the Golden Gophers.....maybe the Boilers will surprise with an inspired effort - they will definitely need that to come out victorious. Right now, they'd have a better shot in Madison (oh the irony).....we will see what this team is made of in the next few weeks:

@ Minnesota
@ Maryland
Nebraska
@ Wisconsin

In the meantime, I have to get ready for watching the Boilers against the Gophers....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Not even close...and, there are many who love to bash Fleck, but, the job he has done/is doing is impressive...don't care if you like him or not...guy has done a great job on the whole there.
IMO, the biggest difference between Fleck and Brohm is that Fleck went out and found really good linemen. Minnesota can enforce its will in the trenches. Purdue rarely can.

IMO, the biggest difference between Fleck and Brohm is that Fleck went out and found really good linemen. Minnesota can enforce its will in the trenches. Purdue rarely can.
Fleck got the guys for his system and he learned to let go of coaching duties to his assisstants. Now w/ Brohm's system , I thought I'd see alot of difference makers at WR and a good stable of RB's.

Fleck just took a page out of rebuilding playbook of Alvarez & Ferentz. All 3 started with interior lines and built out. Brohm recruits out to in. Purdue's OL in Y6 is AVERAGE at best. Brohm is too damned stubborn to change. I also think its time to break up the family business. Get rid of Brian & Greg (stunts growth imo)...new blood needed. Brohm is one control freak.

Last edited:
and the fact Brohm treats defense and special teams as an afterthought.

Fleck just took a page out of rebuilding playbook of Alvarez & Ferentz. All 3 started with interior lines and built out. Brohm recruits out to in. Purdue's OL in Y6 is AVERAGE at best. Brohm is too damned stubborn to change. I also think its time to break up the family business. Get rid of Brian & Greg...new blood needed. Brohm is one control freak.
and all the WKU holdovers. They have demonstrated they are not up to P5.

Fleck got the guys for his system and he learned to let go of coaching duties to his assisstants. Now w/ Brohm's system , I thought I'd see alot of difference makers at WR and a good stable of RB's.

Out of the entire stable of Brohm's WR recruits, the only real difference makers were Rondale and David Bell. And they were difference makers right away. Those that weren't haven't been developed into much.

Let's face it. The only difference maker we have right now is the guy who transferred from Iowa. None of our other 4 start wide receivers have really done much...

What really strikes me is that after 6 years of recruiting we have this:

LB position - Only effective linebacker we have is Graham. Beyond that, everyone we have is slow, slow, and slow.

DE position - Sullivan and Jenkins haven't done much of anything. Not sure why Sullivan is even on the field. Humpich is meh. Caraway could be OK, but not there yet.

Secondary - Trice is the best we have. Allen is just OK. Cane is up and down. Beyond that, there's not much...

OL - The line is serviceable at best. MBow and Hartwig are about it. After six years, we still can't get a push on 3rd/4th and short. And the running game against anyone with a pulse is pretty much non-existent.

RBs - Where do I start? King is just OK but can't stay healthy. Downing did a nice job last night, but otherwise pretty meh. And probably our best option right now is Mockobee, a walk on. No real break away speed from any of them.

WRs - Charlie Jones is pretty much it right now from a consistency basis. Sheffield is just OK. Nobody else has stepped up, at all. Pretty terrible indictment about a coach who's strength is recruiting wide receivers.

QBs - Revolving door for 5 years. Luckily O'Connell has developed into something really nice this season. The fact that Alaimo hasn't been able to overtake Burton by this point is concerning. I'm hoping Allen is the future.

Out of the entire stable of Brohm's WR recruits, the only real difference makers were Rondale and David Bell. And they were difference makers right away. Those that weren't haven't been developed into much.

Let's face it. The only difference maker we have right now is the guy who transferred from Iowa. None of our other 4 start wide receivers have really done much...

What really strikes me is that after 6 years of recruiting we have this:

LB position - Only effective linebacker we have is Graham. Beyond that, everyone we have is slow, slow, and slow.

DE position - Sullivan and Jenkins haven't done much of anything. Not sure why Sullivan is even on the field. Humpich is meh. Caraway could be OK, but not there yet.

Secondary - Trice is the best we have. Allen is just OK. Cane is up and down. Beyond that, there's not much...

OL - The line is serviceable at best. MBow and Hartwig are about it. After six years, we still can't get a push on 3rd/4th and short. And the running game against anyone with a pulse is pretty much non-existent.

RBs - Where do I start? King is just OK but can't stay healthy. Downing did a nice job last night, but otherwise pretty meh. And probably our best option right now is Mockobee, a walk on. No real break away speed from any of them.

WRs - Charlie Jones is pretty much it right now from a consistency basis. Sheffield is just OK. Nobody else has stepped up, at all. Pretty terrible indictment about a coach who's strength is recruiting wide receivers.

QBs - Revolving door for 5 years. Luckily O'Connell has developed into something really nice this season. The fact that Alaimo hasn't been able to overtake Burton by this point is concerning. I'm hoping Allen is the future.
Can't disagree with a lot of this. I would say though that Milton Wright was a huge contributor last year and obviously would be this year.

Garret Miller going down also imo was a huge blow.

Both out of Brohms control.

Can't disagree with a lot of this. I would say though that Milton Wright was a huge contributor last year and obviously would be this year.

Garret Miller going down also imo was a huge blow.

Both out of Brohms control.

The Milton Wright fiasco was avoidable with better oversight. Yes, Garret Miller going down hurt. But Durham was supposed to be the better tight end.

The opportunity is there for sure, but this looks to be the biggest mismatch in recent years with the Golden Gophers.....maybe the Boilers will surprise with an inspired effort - they will definitely need that to come out victorious. Right now, they'd have a better shot in Madison (oh the irony).....we will see what this team is made of in the next few weeks:

@ Minnesota
@ Maryland
Nebraska
@ Wisconsin

In the meantime, I have to get ready for watching the Boilers against the Gophers....

giphy.gif
Realistically 2-2 out of the next four would be good, 3-4 great, 4-4 “are we just kidding ourselves?!”
Maryland and Purdue seem to match up in style and play. Purdue needs a better pass rush on Maryland to knock them off.
Just hope players return to health to give themselves a great chance.

Well, there are other differences, but, you definitely nailed one of the most important, and, maybe the most impactful also.

That said...he has a secondary right now as well that I don't think a single guy that has played back there for Purdue could sniff, much less crack. And...the other most obvious one...RB...the guy understands the importance of being able to run the football, which goes back to your first point, but, he also has guys that are legit running backs that can have success because of their own skills, and, more so with the guys in front of them.

@ Minnesota
@ Maryland
Nebraska
@ Wisconsin

giphy.gif
I don't like their chances at either, as, just crossing into the state of Wisconsin is troublesome for Purdue.

At the moment...somehow going 2-2 would be, to me at least, an accomplishment...and, frankly a surprise admittedly.

Love the Fargo clip...

ADVERTISEMENT