ADVERTISEMENT

As far as societal benefit is concerned, what do people hope to achieve with this:

ComradeRedBoilermaker

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2016
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...h-eighth-amendment-death-penalty-torture.html

tl;dr, a death row inmate has a rare medical condition that would make lethal injection excruciatingly painful. He petitioned the supreme court to have his punishment either changed or have a different method of execution. The court decided to overturn 60 years of precedent:

"First, Gorsuch rejected Bucklew’s claim, asserting that he failed to prove death by nitrogen would really be “feasible” or less painful. Second, Gorsuch cast doubt on a vast range of precedents built on the “evolving standards of decency” rule by substituting it for the “superadds pain” principle. For instance, Supreme Court rulings outlawing the execution of minors, the mentally disabled, and individuals who committed nonhomicidal crimes all rest on the “evolving standards of decency” rationale. So, too, do decisions that strictly limit the imposition of life without parole on juvenile offenders."

The "superadds" pain principle was not established legal precedent, but was taken from a minority opinion coauthored by Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia several years ago. Their position was considered so radically extreme that at the time they were the lone dissenters.

So what did the court actually achieve here today? In what way does this improve criminal justice outcomes? The inmate was not even asking to have his execution stayed, he merely wanted to pursue a less painful method of execution given his health condition.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...h-eighth-amendment-death-penalty-torture.html

tl;dr, a death row inmate has a rare medical condition that would make lethal injection excruciatingly painful. He petitioned the supreme court to have his punishment either changed or have a different method of execution. The court decided to overturn 60 years of precedent:

"First, Gorsuch rejected Bucklew’s claim, asserting that he failed to prove death by nitrogen would really be “feasible” or less painful. Second, Gorsuch cast doubt on a vast range of precedents built on the “evolving standards of decency” rule by substituting it for the “superadds pain” principle. For instance, Supreme Court rulings outlawing the execution of minors, the mentally disabled, and individuals who committed nonhomicidal crimes all rest on the “evolving standards of decency” rationale. So, too, do decisions that strictly limit the imposition of life without parole on juvenile offenders."

The "superadds" pain principle was not established legal precedent, but was taken from a minority opinion coauthored by Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia several years ago. Their position was considered so radically extreme that at the time they were the lone dissenters.

So what did the court actually achieve here today? In what way does this improve criminal justice outcomes? The inmate was not even asking to have his execution stayed, he merely wanted to pursue a less painful method of execution given his health condition.

I thought the 14th amendment allowed the killing of infants?
What did the guy do to get the death penalty? Did his victims suffer?
What would be a painless quick way to die? CO2 intoxication? Freezing? Hanging? I wish everyone had their choice of a painless way to die.

Bring back Sparky or the Gallows. I have no problem with either. Yes, heads would fry or decapitations would happen. I still have no problem for violent criminals and serial killers. Draw the line in the sand on those turds.

You care about the pain a convicted murderer is going to feel as he's put to death but don't give two sh!ts about a baby being ripped to shreds while resting comfortably in its mother's womb? You might want to check your priorities.

I oppose the death penalty.

This case isn't a grave miscarriage of law. This is activist journalism.

Don't read Slate. Hitch is rolling in his grave.

That’s some grand sophism there, “I oppose the death penalty, but it’s Slate reporting this, IMO they, Slate, have an editorial world view in opposition of mine, so, this dude should die by the most grueling execution the State can provide.”

Reactions: miksta
That’s some grand sophism there, “I oppose the death penalty, but it’s Slate reporting this, IMO they, Slate, have an editorial world view in opposition of mine, so, this dude should die by the most grueling execution the State can provide.”
Except that's not what he wrote...lol at you pointing out sophism through your own strawman!

Except that's not what he wrote...lol at you pointing out sophism through your own strawman!

He didn't?

He says he opposes the death penalty.

He then says "This case isn't a grave miscarriage of law."

It would seem to me that any person who opposes the death penalty would see all executions as a "grave miscarriage of law."

And apparently the reason it's not a "grave miscarriage of law" is, as far as I can tell from his post, activist journalism and Slate.

Last edited:

Not me. Bring back both the death penalty for society and corporal punishment in schools. Do both those things and societies problems drop as there are fine lines that are defined not to cross.
Have modern rules and monitoring in both cases for fairness. Society as a whole would have more respect for authority and life. As much as liberal left can throw at those two subjects, I was a liberal at one time and respected authority as I got my ass whipped a few times in school (I'm age 53 now) during my elementary school years and didn't want to repeat it. Sometimes it was the sting of pain, but more important the classroom snickering that kept me from wanting to repeat the mistakes again and again. That is a cold hard fact.

The death penalty would bring fear in the eyes of those that currently do not mind crossing the line of killing someone. Bring back sparky and hangings in the gallows and again, I guarantee that perps would know that there is a fine line that they'd likely not want to cross as the public or family of the victim would get to view their execution. A hard knock life would stop some of societies random shooters, fights that turn to gun play and gang related killings. Put the perps to death and watch the killings drop in Metropolitan areas throughout the U.S.
Oh, and in case a liberal would ask me, would you really pull the switch on sparky for a convicted killer? My answer would be yes. Let God sort it all out at the end.

Coming from the guy who posts in intentionally overly vague snarky haikus.

I am with you.

Except for the "intentionally overly".

That is garbage syntax.

Namaste muther****ers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT