ADVERTISEMENT

Arhmad Branch

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Looks like we are by far is best offer unless 247 isn't up to date.

I was looking at his highlights. Dude looks legit. Of course the competition probably isn't all that great. Regardless, he made some simple catches and took them to the house. Just simply outruns everyone.

Apparently he runs 4.43 and has a 40 inch vertical (there is a video of him hitting his head on the backboard).

Anyone know why so under recruited?

Reactions: SKYDOG
He has only played 2 yrs in football, with no camps. He is someone you take a flyer on.
Thanks. Makes more sense.

Yeah from the videos I'd say you definitely take this guy. Looks like he is a pretty good basketball player as well. Kudos to the coaching staff for finding this guy, although I believe he was all state.

Reactions: purduepat1969
You can't teach pure speed!
You also can’t teach how to catch, run routes and block either! Many nfl teams have made the mistake of drafting speed over the fundamentals . Look at the Packers and their wide receivers this year. They had plenty of speed. Take a look at the Hazell years. He had a lot of speedy receivers who could not catch and hold onto the ball.

You also can’t teach how to catch, run routes and block either! Many nfl teams have made the mistake of drafting speed over the fundamentals . Look at the Packers and their wide receivers this year. They had plenty of speed. Take a look at the Hazell years. He had a lot of speedy receivers who could not catch and hold onto the ball.
“You also can’t teach how to catch, run routes and block either!”

WTH?

Wow. Are you serious?

Wow. Are you seri
Actually the point of coaching is to TEACH catching, route running and blocking. Do you think all WR recruits show up on campus as finished products?
Route running and blocking can absolutely be taught as you say. Pass catching technique can be taught but the guy still has to have the coordination, skill, etc to be able to catch the ball. Some guys can, some can't but if this guy made first team All State in Missouri, he probably is pretty good at catching the ball.

So soon you all forget! I guess it’s my job to remind you! Hazell recruited some very fast receivers as did Brohm his first year. I encourage each of you to either do some research or jog your memory. How many times did those receivers beat their defenders only to drop wide open passes that could have gone for TDs and won games?

Remember that receiver who had all that speed that left Notre Dame , and then went to a Juco and then signed with us? He was a 4 star receiver based primarily on his speed! He had issues comprehending our plays, running routes and blocking. He had tremendous speed, but he could not be coached.

I guess you also forgot all the other speedy receivers that previously came to Purdue but all had problems dropping balls! Sooooo do you blame the coaches for not being able to catch the ball? Or do you admit that some receivers may have a lot of speed but can’t be coached?

Remember that juco receiver that was supposed to start ahead of Moore? He was a lot faster than Moore but had a bad case of the drops.

As for the packers, I ask before this year, who was their fastest receiver in the past decade! His name was MVS. In an offense that featured receivers did he ever make all pro? No! Did he ever come close to getting 1000 yards? No! His average % of catching passes for his entire nfl career has been around 50%. He has a ton of speed, but he has still never learned how to catch the ball or run proper routes. He’s now with KC. Did he help KC win this week? no!

So I’ll double down. Just because a receiver has speed doesn’t mean he is coachable and will become an awesome receiver! I know a lot of receivers who became a lot better track star sprinters than they ever were as receivers.

So soon you all forget! I guess it’s my job to remind you! Hazell recruited some very fast receivers as did Brohm his first year. I encourage each of you to either do some research or jog your memory. How many times did those receivers beat their defenders only to drop wide open passes that could have gone for TDs and won games?

Remember that receiver who had all that speed that left Notre Dame , and then went to a Juco and then signed with us? He was a 4 star receiver based primarily on his speed! He had issues comprehending our plays, running routes and blocking. He had tremendous speed, but he could not be coached.

I guess you also forgot all the other speedy receivers that previously came to Purdue but all had problems dropping balls! Sooooo do you blame the coaches for not being able to catch the ball? Or do you admit that some receivers may have a lot of speed but can’t be coached?

Remember that juco receiver that was supposed to start ahead of Moore? He was a lot faster than Moore but had a bad case of the drops.

As for the packers, I ask before this year, who was their fastest receiver in the past decade! His name was MVS. In an offense that featured receivers did he ever make all pro? No! Did he ever come close to getting 1000 yards? No! His average % of catching passes for his entire nfl career has been around 50%. He has a ton of speed, but he has still never learned how to catch the ball or run proper routes. He’s now with KC. Did he help KC win this week? no!

So I’ll double down. Just because a receiver has speed doesn’t mean he is coachable and will become an awesome receiver! I know a lot of receivers who became a lot better track star sprinters than they ever were as receivers.
You are correct only in saying that just because you have speed doesn’t mean you will become an awesome receiver. And the longer you play organized football the less likely it is that you can be coached up more. But a guy who has only played two years of football likely has plenty of room to grow as a player.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
You're backtracking now. Don't change what you said and claim to double down.
You also can’t teach how to catch, run routes and block either!
Fact is, you CAN teach these things. Not everyone will be receptive, but you still can for many high-school players out there.

You're backtracking now. Don't change what you said and claim to double down.

Fact is, you CAN teach these things. Not everyone will be receptive, but you still can for many high-school players out there.
Absolutely correct. Those things are incredibly teachable and can be greatly improved through 4 years in a program. On top of that many kids also increase their speed and agility once they get in a good program that knows what they are doing. As you said it’s not every player but many. I would say that greater than 75% of high schools don’t really know how to effectively improve these things which is why many kids improve so much in their first couple years in college.

I can’t even begin to count the number of high school programs that basically are just trying to put weight on kids as quickly as possible and only have to most rudimentary weight lifting programs.

Of course there are exceptions like Rondale Moore but that maybe happens in 1 out of every 10 recruits.

Absolutely correct. Those things are incredibly teachable and can be greatly improved through 4 years in a program. On top of that many kids also increase their speed and agility once they get in a good program that knows what they are doing. As you said it’s not every player but many. I would say that greater than 75% of high schools don’t really know how to effectively improve these things which is why many kids improve so much in their first couple years in college.

I can’t even begin to count the number of high school programs that basically are just trying to put weight on kids as quickly as possible and only have to most rudimentary weight lifting programs.

Of course there are exceptions like Rondale Moore but that maybe happens in 1 out of every 10 recruits.
One thing that you can’t teach is God given speed.

One thing that you can’t teach is God given speed.
You may not go from a 4.8 to a 4.2 but most will absolutely get faster once
They are in a proper diet and training program.

Again not everyone but many will improve their speed and agility.

You may not go from a 4.8 to a 4.2 but most will absolutely get faster once
They are in a proper diet and training program.

Again not everyone but many will improve their speed and agility.
Yes but like you said, everyone works on speed and agility. So the faster guy will still end up faster. A guy with two years of football under his belt has far more room to grow learning skills like catching, route running and blocking. That’s also not to say he doesn’t have those skills. Being that his first year playing football was his junior year and he didn’t go to camps he probably wasn’t even on most schools radar in time to be properly evaluated/recruited.

Reactions: Kocher101

Very true sir.
The name Darrius Heyward-Bey came to mind. Purely drafted on speed alone. Could not run routes nor catch the ball.

Reactions: pboiler18
Very true sir.
The name Darrius Heyward-Bey came to mind. Purely drafted on speed alone. Could not run routes nor catch the ball.
also David Williams from Illinois, led the BIG10 in receiving and when he got to the Pro's he got cut because he couldn't run routes. 2nd or 3rd round pick of Bears in mid 80's. He was cut before his 1st Pro season started

Last edited:
Very true sir.

also David Williams from Illinois, led the BIG10 in receiving and when he got to the Pro's he got cut because he couldn't run routes. 2nd or 3rd round pick of Bears in mid 80's. He was cut before his 1st Pro season started
Devin. Hester.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
My guess is that his coaches made him a WR because they believe his talents are best suited for that position. We will see...

Reactions: Kocher101
ADVERTISEMENT