ADVERTISEMENT

Are we still fighting the cold war?

Yes. It almost assuredly would under the same circumstances. Those Sailors were in Iranian waters illegally.
I think Iran knows that Trump would not allow that - there would be repercussions for Iran. Iran could have warned the ship to leave its waters. They didn't have to take the ship and sailors hostage and then humiliate them publically.

It also illuminates Obama's feckless dealings with Iran - the fact that Iran was emboldened to take our sailors' hostage in the first place and then humiliate them publically. What do you think would happen if they tried this stunt under Trump?

I love that "feckless" is having a moment.

I think Iran knows that Trump would not allow that - there would be repercussions for Iran. Iran could have warned the ship to leave its waters. They didn't have to take the ship and sailors hostage and then humiliate them publically.
Yeah, you’re just completely wrong about that. But I know there is no convincing you of it. Iran has historically captured Sailors and vessels that illegally enter their claimed territorial waters. Inside the Gulf, the IRGCN operates with autonomy. Their on scene commanders are expected to enforce their claims without predjudice. It is not a professional force. They likely don’t even know who the US president is, and they damn sure don’t care.

I love that "feckless" is having a moment.
The word fits him very well - "leading from behind", world apology tour,
Yeah, you’re just completely wrong about that. But I know there is no convincing you of it. Iran has historically captured Sailors and vessels that illegally enter their claimed territorial waters. Inside the Gulf, the IRGCN operates with autonomy. Their on scene commanders are expected to enforce their claims without predjudice. It is not a professional force. They likely don’t even know who the US president is, and they damn sure don’t care.
You would certainly know better than I.

I thought it was weird you would even say what you thought considering you know yours is a completely uninformed opinion and you know my experience in that part of the world.
That might be a little harsh - I wouldn't say COMPLETELY uninformed opinion, but you certainly know Naval dealings with Iran (and other nations for that matter) much better than I ever would or will. But you honestly don't think that Trump would react strongly to Iran taking our sailors hostage, and not necessarily just in tweets?

That might be a little harsh - I wouldn't say COMPLETELY uninformed opinion, but you certainly know Naval dealings with Iran (and other nations for that matter) much better than I ever would or will. But you honestly don't think that Trump would react strongly to Iran taking our sailors hostage, and not necessarily just in tweets?
No, I do not think Trump would strike Iran if our Sailors were illegally in their territorial waters. I think Trump would probably be limited to tweets in response because those Sailors screwed up.

I don't think it was harsh at all. I think your entire line of thinking is, "Trump strong. No one wants to mess with Trump." when the reality is probably closer to no one actually taking him seriously. That's the price he pays with tweets and rhetoric - the world understands that what comes out of his mouth is generally meaningless garbage.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
No, I do not think Trump would strike Iran if our Sailors were illegally in their territorial waters. I think Trump would probably be limited to tweets in response because those Sailors screwed up.

I don't think it was harsh at all. I think your entire line of thinking is, "Trump strong. No one wants to mess with Trump." when the reality is probably closer to no one actually taking him seriously. That's the price he pays with tweets and rhetoric - the world understands that what comes out of his mouth is generally meaningless garbage.
I’d say he’s more unorthodox. He doesn’t play by all of the old rules of foreign policy - many of which have led to ruinous, expensive wars and disastrous economic/trade policies that have harmed the country.

He is not the most precise, articulate speaker - that’s for damn sure.

I’d say he’s more unorthodox. He doesn’t play by all of the old rules of foreign policy - many of which have led to ruinous, expensive wars and disastrous economic/trade policies that have harmed the country.
Sure, I'm OK with different in that regard. My point was that where you see Trump as strong and the world as being frightened of him, I see Trump as irresponsible and boorish with his words, and I don't think most of the rest of the world takes him seriously at all.

Sure, I'm OK with different in that regard. My point was that where you see Trump as strong and the world as being frightened of him, I see Trump as irresponsible and boorish with his words, and I don't think most of the rest of the world takes him seriously at all.
Totally depends on the country and how much real leverage he has with them. Some that ignore him will likely regret it. The US can better withstand a trade war better than anyone. (Not that anyone wants that.) NATO/EU nations are increasing their defense spending as a % of GDP because of Trump pushing the issue. Japan and South Korea’s leaders seem to like Trump. Australia and Brazil seem to. Israel does. Saudi Arabia does.

Yes. It almost assuredly would under the same circumstances. Those Sailors were in Iranian waters illegally.

Why do you think they were there illegally?

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...rrest-of-u-s-sailors-broke-international-law/

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/n...des-iran-broke-international-law-by-detaining

I know this is different being AF, but Russia and US have allowed each sides planes to land under duress.

I will admit this is not my area. Needless to say, Army is a different culture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT