ADVERTISEMENT

Are other conference officials as bad as the BIG10????

I think the BIG in particular has allowed such rough play under the basket, that the refs are really challenged to call a fair and balanced game. Watch other conferences and you won't see the grabbing and rough play underneath. This is a BIG issue.

The fact that Maryland didn't make a shot the last 8 minutes of the game and was still close shows how terrible the home cooking was.
Reminds me of the Wisky game a couple years ago when the Boilers out shot them a ton from the field but Wisky got so many more free throws. This game wasn't quite as bad, but still bad.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think the BIG in particular has allowed such rough play under the basket, that the refs are really challenged to call a fair and balanced game. Watch other conferences and you won't see the grabbing and rough play underneath. This is a BIG issue.
It is also a historic issue in the Dance. Yes, several B1G teams have advanced well, but overall, when B1G teams get into the Dance, they discover that the refs do not allow the physical play under the basket ... which has cost several teams ...

Reminds me of the Wisky game a couple years ago when the Boilers out shot them a ton from the field but Wisky got so many more free throws. This game wasn't quite as bad, but still bad.

Bo knows......

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400595450

boryan1.gif

Reactions: *4purdue*
Hope we don't get this crew or Bo Borowski for the IU game

I get so tired hearing DD say how good the B1G refs are every game he does. If he were coaching, I doubt he'd think that.
probably has to ..a lot of pc to keep that job. Ever hear any announcer go on and on about the horrible job. Most you will get is a call or two and then it is because they have replay and the refs don't. Refs and Big won't let the call them out for a most of the game.

I don't watch road games unless they win (then on replay)! It's too brutal to see your players mugged time and time again.

That said, when I coached, I would try at least once a year, to ref a girl's game. It's tougher than it looks.

Every time this topic comes up I keep telling y'all bad B1G ref's ain't nothin' new. They have been bad for almost 30 years.

Reactions: tjreese
My main issue with refs is the star power BS. Be a big guy under the basket getting hacked, slashed and knocked down not a foul. Touch the star PG chest ever so slightly while he jumps to shoot and 1 foul.

See the OSU game a couple of years ago when aaron craft? Just constantly charges to the hoop and gets a foul no matter what. Lew Jack gets destroyed no call.

There have been several threads lately about refs. Something to keep in mind: There is no such thing as "B1G refs". These guys are independent contractors and ref games in multiple conferences. I know not everyone watches other conferences, but if you do you will recognize a lot of these guys from other games you see.

I'm not trying to defend them in any way. Just trying to clear up a misconception that the B1G has "different" refs from other conferences. Every conference is drawing from the same pool of guys. Here is an interesting link if you want info on refs. It lists them alphabetically and you can see every game they have called this year. It also gives stats about their foul call numbers for home and visiting team in each game. I know Boroski is a favorite of many on here. You can see that he has called games in several different conferences this year. So he isn't just bad in the B1G!!

http://natstat.com/mbb/officials

There have been several threads lately about refs. Something to keep in mind: There is no such thing as "B1G refs". These guys are independent contractors and ref games in multiple conferences. I know not everyone watches other conferences, but if you do you will recognize a lot of these guys from other games you see.

I'm not trying to defend them in any way. Just trying to clear up a misconception that the B1G has "different" refs from other conferences. Every conference is drawing from the same pool of guys. Here is an interesting link if you want info on refs. It lists them alphabetically and you can see every game they have called this year. It also gives stats about their foul call numbers for home and visiting team in each game. I know Boroski is a favorite of many on here. You can see that he has called games in several different conferences this year. So he isn't just bad in the B1G!!

Fully understand, but some are pretty regular. Feel pretty good when I see the tall bald white guy, the dark haired tef...looks Italian and the black guy that did the MD game. So so on the white guy with hair that did the MD game. The Nebraska game had refs I haven't seen in the big. I imagine they were replacements from some girl game cancellation ☺

Fully understand, but some are pretty regular. Feel pretty good when I see the tall bald white guy, the dark haired tef...looks Italian and the black guy that did the MD game. So so on the white guy with hair that did the MD game. The Nebraska game had refs I haven't seen in the big. I imagine they were replacements from some girl game cancellation ☺

The "paisan" official is Gene Steratore.....also an NFL referee. I used to like him a lot more, but I think a lot of the recent national attention has gotten him off his game so-to-speak. He's done several Purdue games the last couple of years.

54a8813cebb8f.image.jpg

Steratore-action-web1.jpg

The other officials were Terry Wymer (whom DD commented on....works many Big Ten games)

Terry+Wymer+4pXfIKtZrsNm.jpg

and Lewis Garrison.

Lewis+Garrison+North+Florida+v+Michigan+State+_IaUbI8HXJsl.jpg

The "bane" of existence regarding old-school Big Ten officiating is of course, Jim Bain.

Jim_Bain.jpg

The "paisan" official is Gene Steratore.....also an NFL referee. I used to like him a lot more, but I think a lot of the recent national attention has gotten him off his game so-to-speak. He's done several Purdue games the last couple of years.

54a8813cebb8f.image.jpg

Steratore-action-web1.jpg

The other officials were Terry Wymer (whom DD commented on....works many Big Ten games)

Terry+Wymer+4pXfIKtZrsNm.jpg

and Lewis Garrison.

Lewis+Garrison+North+Florida+v+Michigan+State+_IaUbI8HXJsl.jpg

The "bane" of existence regarding old-school Big Ten officiating is of course, Jim Bain.

Jim_Bain.jpg
You got them. Liked the big guy from southern Indiana...maybe columbus..Steve weimiere???. Teray has been okay . Any idea who the tall bald white guy is. I'm typing on a phone in the mountains of West Virginia with auto correct making it really difficult

You got them. Liked the big guy from southern Indiana...maybe columbus..Steve weimiere???. Teray has been okay . Any idea who the tall bald white guy is. I'm typing on a phone in the mountains of West Virginia with auto correct making it really difficult

I'll check with my staff, TJ. Watch out for Huggy Bear; safe travels.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I'll check with my staff, TJ. Watch out for Huggy Bear; safe travels.
The arena looks neat sitting up high. Went by it a while ago. Did see a sign of Huggins Bear in some poster. I'll probably have to drive in a few as she said she needs some gas. Oh well, got some great tunes going on and so it could be worse.

Reactions: PU pit bull

D.J. Carstensen

GettyImages-630159776_tztkkt.jpg

CVaQ_FXXIAAnQaS.jpg

Eric Curry has also done Purdue games....

I0000Ak2qcSeTRfY.jpg

So what you're obviously telling us is that the B1G with Morgan and Delaney advising them have likely gone the cheap route that has worked so well for Purdue athletics and the refs are what one would expect to buy if they were for sale in Big Lots.

Reactions: tjreese
So what you're obviously telling us is that the B1G with Morgan and Delaney advising them have likely gone the cheap route that has worked so well for Purdue athletics and the refs are what one would expect to buy if they were for sale in Big Lots.
I have no idea what this means? If you look at the link I provided you will see that the same refs people on here complain about also ref games in other conferences. I don't think a lot of posters here watch other conferences very often. If they did they would recognize these guys from other games they have watched.

That was my only point. The thread title asks if other conference refs are as bad as the B1G? I'm trying to tell everyone there is no such thing as conference refs. Someone last week was complaining about one of our games and said they had never seen any of the refs before. 1 of the refs from that game ( John Higgins) is one of the busiest refs in the country. As of last nights KU/KSU game, he has reffed 69 games this year. So the B1G isn't going cheap if that was what you were suggesting. They are hiring the same guys that do ACC, Big 12 and SEC games.

When it comes to refs, people need to watch more than our games. There isn't anything happening in our games that other fan bases aren't complaining about also. I'm not defending the quality of the refereeing in any way. I just get tired of seeing the complaining about our conference refs when there is no such thing.

Reactions: Boiler Wolf
Trimble won't get those calls with quality refs. Even dakich said he was just throwing his body at defenders. He doesn't impress me that much

He got a lot more calls in non-conference than in conference. The B1G doesn't believe in freedom of movement or over the back. Once you start getting other league officials the game changes. I blame this mostly for not preparing the B1G for the NCAA tournament. The B1G has had the talent, but it cannot seem to deal with real officated games come tournament time. So I am totally good with how he plays for the NCAA tournament.

I'll say this, be beats his defender so often that they are grabbing and pulling which isn't called, but when he does the head snap and throws up hands they will call it.

So, no I do not like the head snap, but I am tired of people holding all game. The ACC is so bias for Duke and UNC, I'll still take the Big Ten officials. However, during league games not involving Duke or UNC, you expected the officials to enforce the rules.

The Big Ten seems to have a formula.
~15 fouls in the 1st half and 25+ in the second half, no matter the style of play. They also tend to really favor less athletic teams.

5110392.png

My wife went to Purdue, I of course went to UMD, was a great game, we blew it, but that's how it goes.

He got a lot more calls in non-conference than in conference. The B1G doesn't believe in freedom of movement or over the back. Once you start getting other league officials the game changes. I blame this mostly for not preparing the B1G for the NCAA tournament. The B1G has had the talent, but it cannot seem to deal with real officated games come tournament time. So I am totally good with how he plays for the NCAA tournament.

I'll say this, be beats his defender so often that they are grabbing and pulling which isn't called, but when he does the head snap and throws up hands they will call it.

So, no I do not like the head snap, but I am tired of people holding all game. The ACC is so bias for Duke and UNC, I'll still take the Big Ten officials. However, during league games not involving Duke or UNC, you expected the officials to enforce the rules.

The Big Ten seems to have a formula.
~15 fouls in the 1st half and 25+ in the second half, no matter the style of play. They also tend to really favor less athletic teams.

5110392.png

My wife went to Purdue, I of course went to UMD, was a great game, we blew it, but that's how it goes.
There is a truth in what you post. I don't think the playing style in the BIG is conducive to NCAA success when the games are called differently. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I do think there is something there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT