ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently it's not just basketball

NC State has been Adidas for a while. GT became Adidas this year (were Russell Athletics). IU, Louisville, Miami, NEB = all Adidas.

I'm not going to say you're naive, but yeah, it's obvious what's going on at these camps.

Been the nature of the beast for a while. *shrug*

This doesn't really affect recruiting like basketball though. It's much harder to market NFL players and figure out who in HS is actually going to be a star in the NFL. Shoe companies do it at the AAU level because playrs like Melvin Bagley are likely going to be a studs in the NBA and most people in the know have known that since he was about 14.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
https://n.rivals.com/news/qbs-shine-at-adidas-satellite-camp-more-takeaways
Not trying to stir the pot, and maybe i'm just a little naive, just didn't realize that these shoe/apparel companies put on football camps. Not sure about Georgia Tech and N.C State, but pretty sure the rest of the schools listed are Adidas affiliated.
Nike puts on their own regional camps, as does Under Armour. Obviously adidas is a sponsor of the Rivals Camp Series as well.

This event was a satellite camp, with all adidas schools invited to attend. N.C. State and Georgia Tech are both adidas schools.

NC State has been Adidas for a while. GT became Adidas this year (were Russell Athletics). IU, Louisville, Miami, NEB = all Adidas.

I'm not going to say you're naive, but yeah, it's obvious what's going on at these camps.

Been the nature of the beast for a while. *shrug*
Comparing this to AAU basketball is apples to oranges, though. These are open cattle call type camps with 1,500-plus players. I counted a total of two four-star players and neither worked out, so therefore they weren't allowed to talk to the coaches in attendance.

These events really benefit the Eastern Michigan's of the world, who get a chance to see and evaluate players outside of their region.

Nike puts on their own regional camps, as does Under Armour. Obviously adidas is a sponsor of the Rivals Camp Series as well.

This event was a satellite camp, with all adidas schools invited to attend. N.C. State and Georgia Tech are both adidas schools.
That makes sense then, thanks.

This doesn't really affect recruiting like basketball though. It's much harder to market NFL players and figure out who in HS is actually going to be a star in the NFL. Shoe companies do it at the AAU level because playrs like Melvin Bagley are likely going to be a studs in the NBA and most people in the know have known that since he was about 14.
Plus NFL athletes don’t put out their own lines of shoes, etc. like they do in the NBA. I don’t think I could name one NFL athlete and say “he’s a Nike guy” like I could with NBA players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT