ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think either Bama RB will sign w/Purdue?

Somewhat agree but you can't call what you can't block. If the run blocking was superb, my guess is they would have called a lot more run plays. And sometimes the YPC can benefit from fewer runs being called, as defenses are generally less keyed on the run game against teams that don't run much. That said, I think the OL is better this year and the WKU transfer will make a big impact.
Meh, i argued with someone on the premie board about this. Came out that Horvath averaged 5.3 yards per carry on the first drive of every game. Brohm just moved away from the run as the game progressed, Especially in the second half. I dont think he was at his best last year and felt a ton of pressure and it impacted his game planning. It certainly wasnt as crisp as it had been in prior years.

Hot off the presses from GBI:

Purdue​

Development of the line.
The unit must get a better push after the rushing attack ranked last in the Big Ten in 2020. Depth is solid, but the line needs to be more physical. The front has two full-time assistants devoted to its development, as Neil Callaway was promoted from analyst to assistant o-line coach to work with o-line coach Dale Williams.

Purdue​

Development of the line.
The unit must get a better push after the rushing attack ranked last in the Big Ten in 2020. Depth is solid, but the line needs to be more physical. The front has two full-time assistants devoted to its development, as Neil Callaway was promoted from analyst to assistant o-line coach to work with o-line coach Dale Williams.
you're not engaging in conversation.

Everyone here knows where the line ranked.

To clue you in, what's going on is an attempt at a "rational" discussion. Not talking points that suit an agenda.

June 4th....

Purdue​

Development of the line.
Weird, that is exactly what i said and goes against everything you said and you posted it.

Now, Evergr8ful, dasn't criticize our OL. They're wonderful. They're great. Notre Dame is weally worried.

I always get a kick out of the posters who lose their mind if you're not heaping vast amounts of praise on every player who wears a Purdue uniform. If you say anything negative, you're "bashing" or "crapping" on a player.

I always get a kick out of the posters who lose their mind if you're not heaping vast amounts of praise on every player who wears a Purdue uniform. If you say anything negative, you're "bashing" or "crapping" on a player.
It would be nice to here realistic views of players with both positives and negatives, although I would dislike real player bashing.

It would be nice to here realistic views of players with both positives and negatives, although I would dislike real player bashing.
This.

At times this forum is infested with posts constantly pulling out all the negatives.

And, I will add, it would help the conversation to dispense with the b.s. of "defending" people when pursuing that conversation.

Reactions: Beorik
I wrote on this before but here it is again. What is wrong with Zander? I read posters saying our OL was not that good last year yet Zander rushed for over 70 yards per game and more importantly averaged 5 years per carry. In receiving he went for 50 yards a game with an average of 10 years per reception. IMO that deserves Honorable Mention All Big 10 last year. Yet I read posters saying a reserve running back on another team should start ahead of him. Am I that big of a homer?

Then again, I just googled the best RB's on the Big 10 for 2021 and according to 24/7 Zander is not even in the top 10. What am I missing? I would like to see more depth at OL, LB, and DT. Seriously, why am I wrong?

I agree, but 5 years per carry and 10 years per reception is pretty slow.
[/QUOTE 5 yards a carry and 10 yards per reception isn't bad at all, especially when he was last resort receiver on most passes. Maybe he doesn't have blazing speed, to find a power back with speed is not easy.

Reactions: krf3632
Agree. The OP's point was would a back-up Alabama RB leave the #1 program in the country (and SEC member) to go to a mid-tier B1G team? I commented that playing time and OL strength would be big factors in making a decision on where to transfer (as opposed to just just team/conference ranking).
Mid-tier is being generous, unfortunately.

I agree, but 5 years per carry and 10 years per reception is pretty slow.
Exactly why I love Zander. Other teams may have a back who ran 14 times for 70 yards with a LG of 50 years. Tremendous speed, but that means he had a great run but the other 13 times he picked up 20 yards. That is not ball control and gets the O off the field quickly. If Zander rushes 14 times for 70 yards and has a LG of 18 times that means he ran the other 13 times for 52 years and we have ball control.

Exactly why I love Zander. Other teams may have a back who ran 14 times for 70 yards with a LG of 50 years. Tremendous speed, but that means he had a great run but the other 13 times he picked up 20 yards. That is not ball control and gets the O off the field quickly. If Zander rushes 14 times for 70 yards and has a LG of 18 times that means he ran the other 13 times for 52 years and we have ball control.

Not having a back with breakaway speed gives the defense a lot of option on how to defend. Combine that with Purdue not having a dominant OL and you're not going to get 60 mins of Horvath ground n pound.
Sure, he may grind out 5 yards a carry and break a bunch of tackles doing so, but most D coordinators will happily give that up knowing the guy can't turn the corner or outrun any of his DBs.
D coordinators are going to focus on not letting David Bell beat you, not Horvath.

Not having a back with breakaway speed gives the defense a lot of option on how to defend. Combine that with Purdue not having a dominant OL and you're not going to get 60 mins of Horvath ground n pound.
Sure, he may grind out 5 yards a carry and break a bunch of tackles doing so, but most D coordinators will happily give that up knowing the guy can't turn the corner or outrun any of his DBs.
D coordinators are going to focus on not letting David Bell beat you, not Horvath.
Right. If we can finish off drives better than what we have shown, than I would be more likely to agree with @mediaexpert. I will say although Horvath lacks speed, he does have pretty good hands. The coaches have gone to this at times, too. If our line can hold their own 5v4 and we can force teams into more zone with Horvath rolling out, I love the chances of our WRs finding soft spots to sit. The downside is we haven't shown the consistent ability to overcome a mishap (sack, dropped pass, errant throw, etc) - which speaks more to your point.

Agree on the "step back" thoughts.

However, I think the first things any RB looking to transfer would examine are 1) How dedicated to the run game are the coaches to be, and 2) how good is the OL. You can be great...but if the OL can't open holes, can't protect the QB and continually puts you in 3rd and long...you'll be hamstrung as an RB.
Good thing our o-line will finally be more of a bright spot than it has in the past

Reactions: mediaexpert
Are you referring to Ja'Quez Cross or ? No disrespect to Ja'Quez, but incoming freshman usually don't make that big an impact their first year (strength, conditioning and maturing).

Reactions: bonefish1
Are you referring to Ja'Quez Cross or ? No disrespect to Ja'Quez, but incoming freshman usually don't make that big an impact their first year (strength, conditioning and maturing).
Answered my own question as I see Devin Mockobee committed within the past hour. He too will be a Freshman. We'll see how it pans out.

RB is a position where freshmen can make an impact- see 2019 King Doerue. Even better if they aren't needed as an every down back.

RB is a position where freshmen can make an impact- see 2019 King Doerue. Even better if they aren't needed as an every down back.
Yeah rb and wr seem like the positions on the offensive side where freshman can excel at. O line and qb are where they need the experience.

N.W. 24-13 Min 21-10 Neb 27-13. Gave up 24 points the second half to Rutgers. Yes Special Teams was an issue in more cases than I want to admit to. I think we can both agree that the defense never had a complete game and being down early made CJB move away from the running game..... Thank you Brian for sticking to the running game the second half of the Iowa Game!!!

Reactions: Inspector100
N.W. 24-13 Min 21-10 Neb 27-13. Gave up 24 points the second half to Rutgers. Yes Special Teams was an issue in more cases than I want to admit to. I think we can both agree that the defense never had a complete game and being down early made CJB move away from the running game..... Thank you Brian for sticking to the running game the second half of the Iowa Game!!!
Defense was good in iowa. After that it was putrid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT