ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think either Bama RB will sign w/Purdue?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
I don’t. I’ve not read any details at all, but believe neither will want that far of a step back (in their mind). I could be wrong and hope I am, but don’t see a young man jumping from SEC champs/National Champions to mid-pack Big Ten West conf performer. Want to believe it can happen, but not holding my breath and will sleep comfortable tonight and after they sign “somewhere”.

He wants to leave because he was buried on the depth chart. He wants to play and has a good chance at Purdue. We had one sure top transfer RB locked up and it didn’t work out due to academics. And came close on a couple other high profile ones.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
He wants to leave because he was buried on the depth chart. He wants to play and has a good chance at Purdue. We had one sure top transfer RB locked up and it didn’t work out due to academics. And came close on a couple other high profile ones.
Agreed. If he has the skills, he could be the day 1 starter. He'd get plenty of work in both the run and pass game, play good competition, be on TV all the time. There's a lot to like if he's willing to make the trip north and have a good chance to start.

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler
Agree on the "step back" thoughts.

However, I think the first things any RB looking to transfer would examine are 1) How dedicated to the run game are the coaches to be, and 2) how good is the OL. You can be great...but if the OL can't open holes, can't protect the QB and continually puts you in 3rd and long...you'll be hamstrung as an RB.

Last edited:
Agree on the "step back" thoughts.

However, I think the first things any RB looking to transfer would examine are 1) How dedicated to the run game is the coaches to be, and 2) how good is the OL. You can be great...but if the OL can't open holes, can't protect the QB and continually puts you in 3rd and long...you'll be hamstrung as an RB.

Our OL opened up enough holes for Horvath to average 6+ ypc.

The Utep transfer and the sophomore were honorable mention all conference last year.

Do you actually follow the team or make shit up on the fly?

2020 All-Big Ten Conference football team​

Centers[edit]​

• Josh Myers, Ohio State (Coaches-1; Media-2)
  • Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa (Coaches-2; Media-1)
  • Michal Menet, Penn State (Coaches-3; Media-3)

Guards[edit]​

• Wyatt Davis, Ohio State (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Kendrick Green, Illinois (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Cole Banwart, Iowa (Coaches-2; Media-2)
  • Mike Miranda, Penn State (Coaches-2; Media-2)
  • Logan Bruss, Wisconsin (Coaches-3; Media-3)
  • Harry Miller, Ohio State (Coaches-3)
  • Conner Olson, Minnesota (Media-3)

Tackles[edit]​

• Alaric Jackson, Iowa (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Thayer Munford, Ohio State (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Cole Van Lanen, Wisconsin (Coaches-1; Media-2)
  • Will Fries, Penn State (Coaches-2)
  • Nicholas Petit-Frere, Ohio State (Coaches-2)
  • Peter Skoronski, Northwestern (Coaches-3; Media-2)
  • Blaise Andries, Minnesota (Media-3)
  • Rasheed Walker, Penn State (Media-3)

2020 All-Big Ten Conference football team​

Centers[edit]​

• Josh Myers, Ohio State (Coaches-1; Media-2)
  • Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa (Coaches-2; Media-1)
  • Michal Menet, Penn State (Coaches-3; Media-3)

Guards[edit]​

• Wyatt Davis, Ohio State (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Kendrick Green, Illinois (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Cole Banwart, Iowa (Coaches-2; Media-2)
  • Mike Miranda, Penn State (Coaches-2; Media-2)
  • Logan Bruss, Wisconsin (Coaches-3; Media-3)
  • Harry Miller, Ohio State (Coaches-3)
  • Conner Olson, Minnesota (Media-3)

Tackles[edit]​

• Alaric Jackson, Iowa (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Thayer Munford, Ohio State (Coaches-1; Media-1)
  • Cole Van Lanen, Wisconsin (Coaches-1; Media-2)
  • Will Fries, Penn State (Coaches-2)
  • Nicholas Petit-Frere, Ohio State (Coaches-2)
  • Peter Skoronski, Northwestern (Coaches-3; Media-2)
  • Blaise Andries, Minnesota (Media-3)
  • Rasheed Walker, Penn State (Media-3)
I said honorable mention smart guy.

Holstege, Hartwig and Long were all given honorable mention last year. Look at the big ten release, not wiki.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Our OL opened up enough holes for Horvath to average 6+ ypc.

Agree. The OP's point was would a back-up Alabama RB leave the #1 program in the country (and SEC member) to go to a mid-tier B1G team? I commented that playing time and OL strength would be big factors in making a decision on where to transfer (as opposed to just just team/conference ranking).

Last edited:
Who gives a shit if they open holes
The RB would for one. End around and pop passes can only be used so often. I hope our OL has gelled with experience enough to get a high caliber back to look our way. Purdue needs 1 RB that can hit the hole, wiggle hips, change direction, and turn on the afterburner. We don't have that in our arsenal right now.
My wish list of remaining transfers would be 1 RB, and either 1 OL or 1 CB. Might not be the same as the staff, but believe they are hunting for a RB. 21 days and 11 hrs remain...tick tock!

The RB would for one. End around and pop passes can only be used so often. I hope our OL has gelled with experience enough to get a high caliber back to look our way. Purdue needs 1 RB that can hit the hole, wiggle hips, change direction, and turn on the afterburner. We don't have that in our arsenal right now.
My wish list of remaining transfers would be 1 RB, and either 1 OL or 1 CB. Might not be the same as the staff, but believe they are hunting for a RB. 21 days and 11 hrs remain...tick tock!
You read my comment wrong. Who gives a shit if the players are transfers or young if they are able to open holes.

Reactions: delarno
Goodness. Someone is working VERY hard to belittle the 2021 Purdue OL.
I'm not belittling them. I'm a realist. Here are the 247 pre-season all-big-ten offensive line teams for 2021:

First Team: Tyler Linderbaum (C), Iowa; Thayer Munford (OL), Ohio State; Peter Skoronski (OL), Northwestern; Nicholas Petit-Frere (OL), Ohio State; Rasheed Walker (OL), Penn State

Second Team: John Michael Schmitz (C), Minnesota; Cody Ince (OL), Iowa; Blaise Andres (OL), Minnesota; Logan Bruss (OL), Wisconsin; Mike Miranda (OL), Penn State

Third Team: Doug Kramer (C), Illinois; Alex Palczewski (OL), Illinois; Andrew Stueber (OL), Michigan; Harry Miller (OL), Ohio State; Conner Olson (OL), Minnesota

Fourth Team: Sam Gerak (C), Northwestern; Jaelyn Duncan (OL), Maryland; Caleb Jones (OL), Indiana; Sam Schlueter (OL), Minnesota; Tyler Beach (OL), Wisconsin

I'm not belittling them. I'm a realist. Here are the 247 pre-season all-big-ten offensive line teams for 2021:

First Team: Tyler Linderbaum (C), Iowa; Thayer Munford (OL), Ohio State; Peter Skoronski (OL), Northwestern; Nicholas Petit-Frere (OL), Ohio State; Rasheed Walker (OL), Penn State

Second Team: John Michael Schmitz (C), Minnesota; Cody Ince (OL), Iowa; Blaise Andres (OL), Minnesota; Logan Bruss (OL), Wisconsin; Mike Miranda (OL), Penn State

Third Team: Doug Kramer (C), Illinois; Alex Palczewski (OL), Illinois; Andrew Stueber (OL), Michigan; Harry Miller (OL), Ohio State; Conner Olson (OL), Minnesota

Fourth Team: Sam Gerak (C), Northwestern; Jaelyn Duncan (OL), Maryland; Caleb Jones (OL), Indiana; Sam Schlueter (OL), Minnesota; Tyler Beach (OL), Wisconsin
No, you're belittling the O line.

We know who's pre-season. Teams don't play based on pre-season ratings. They're pointless and irrelevant. Unless, of course, you're looking for a reason to crap on Purdue's OL.

You...

This year 60% of the OL will be true soph, WKU transfer and UTEP transfer.

You don't do any analysis with this, and your point was clear: that means it's a bad OL>

3 players you use to belittle the OL.

Never mind, that true SO will be an absolute stud by the time he's a SR. Never mind, the WKU and UTEP transfers will no doubt solidify the returning OL. Never mind, those are ONLY THREE players on the two-deep, which returns some real experience. Never mind, the 2020 OL has some decent performance at times.

Soooooooooooo.... it's a deeper line, with more experience, and you use underclassmen and two transfers as a way to crap on the OL.

I'm old enough to remember people b*tching about not recruiting OL who were good enough to start as FR. Now, that's used as an example of why our OL is bad.

You're fooling no one.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
Now, Evergr8ful, dasn't criticize our OL. They're wonderful. They're great. Notre Dame is weally worried.
Resorting to hyperbole now? Not going to respond to my post with the honorable mention comments?

line ain’t great but it also ain’t the problem.

Resorting to hyperbole now? Not going to respond to my post with the honorable mention comments?

line ain’t great but it also ain’t the problem.
OK, I'll respond to your post about the honorable mention comments. They picked a half dozen guys from every team for 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team, 4th team or HM. They didn't want anyone to feel left out. It is meaningless. Everybody got some trophies.

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
OK, I'll respond to your post about the honorable mention comments. They picked a half dozen guys from every team for 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team, 4th team or HM. They didn't want anyone to feel left out. It is meaningless. Everybody got some trophies.
Ahh, but thats not how they do it. Also means that someone thought enough of them to put them on one of their 3 all big ten teams. Not bad for a transfer a freshman and a RS FR, right?

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler
MSU had 0 guys 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or HM. Rutgers only got 2 HM. Try again?

Ahh, but thats not how they do it. Also means that someone thought enough of them to put them on one of their 3 all big ten teams. Not bad for a transfer a freshman and a RS FR, right?
Repeat Evrgr8ful post: "Purdue was DEAD LAST in B1G rushing yards per game in both 2019 or 2020." D*E*A*D L*A*S*T in the conference. Let's talk about that.

also dead last in attempts but not dead last in yards per carry. Playcalling was the issue not the line.
Somewhat agree but you can't call what you can't block. If the run blocking was superb, my guess is they would have called a lot more run plays. And sometimes the YPC can benefit from fewer runs being called, as defenses are generally less keyed on the run game against teams that don't run much. That said, I think the OL is better this year and the WKU transfer will make a big impact.

Somewhat agree but you can't call what you can't block. If the run blocking was superb, my guess is they would have called a lot more run plays. And sometimes the YPC can benefit from fewer runs being called, as defenses are generally less keyed on the run game against teams that don't run much. That said, I think the OL is better this year and the WKU transfer will make a big impact.
I've read nowhere that anyone claimed "run blocking was superb". Instead, simply a ... "realistic" ... evaluation.

EDIT: agree, that the transfer(s) will make an impact. How big will be determined. Simply adding talented depth will be huge.

ADVERTISEMENT