ADVERTISEMENT

anyone notice that Purdue has played Mason

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
at the 3 in spots with 2 of Zach, Trey and Caleb in spots? This goes with tinkering with Trey and Zach playing together where most of the year Trey subbed for Zach. It seems to me that Matt is tinkering a bit (better late than never) with providing a physical team to play if the finesse is struggling or to just give a different look for a few. Not the way Matt wants to play, but in his "stubbornness" ;) he is getting some experience in players playing a bit different spots than before and should make the team "deeper" and more versatile.

There was a question to Matt's call in show early in the season if Mason would ever see the court as a 3 and he said no, and although that isn't his desirehe has shown his "stubbornness" would not be in the way.

at the 3 in spots with 2 of Zach, Trey and Caleb in spots? This goes with tinkering with Trey and Zach playing together where most of the year Trey subbed for Zach. It seems to me that Matt is tinkering a bit (better late than never) with providing a physical team to play if the finesse is struggling or to just give a different look for a few. Not the way Matt wants to play, but in his "stubbornness" ;) he is getting some experience in players playing a bit different spots than before and should make the team "deeper" and more versatile.

There was a question to Matt's call in show early in the season if Mason would ever see the court as a 3 and he said no, and although that isn't his desirehe has shown his "stubbornness" would not be in the way.
If Miller Kopp can play the 3, so can Mason.

I'm confused here.
What would you say he's been playing all year?
If he's with Braden and Fletcher and 2 bigs then he's the 3 unless you're calling him a third guard I guess.
?

I for one love it how Painter has mixed it up the last several weeks. Currently he's playing the guys who give us the best chance to win given the circumstances. It seems like he's being much more flexible in his substitution patterns than he has been in recent years.

TJ, when has he played Mason with Zach and Trey or Caleb and for how long? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't noticed. Agree that it's really based on defensive matchups, no reason that Mason can't play the three on offense.

TJ, when has he played Mason with Zach and Trey or Caleb and for how long? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't noticed. Agree that it's really based on defensive matchups, no reason that Mason can't play the three on offense.
I'm not sure he can't play D. Is he less mobile than Morton?

I'm confused here.
What would you say he's been playing all year?
If he's with Braden and Fletcher and 2 bigs then he's the 3 unless you're calling him a third guard I guess.
?
Mason was exclusively the four until recently. Trey subbed for Zach at the 5. Trey and Caleb both have played the 5 and 4. Brandon and Ethan have played the 3 most of the year. Now we are seeing a bit more physical line up at times with Mason sometimes at the 3 and Brandon at the 2 with typically Trey and Caleb at the 4. Matt is getting different experiences for more players at different spots to adapt or gain an advantage if needed.

I for one love it how Painter has mixed it up the last several weeks. Currently he's playing the guys who give us the best chance to win given the circumstances. It seems like he's being much more flexible in his substitution patterns than he has been in recent years.
I think it is more about "versatile" players than the coach. Matt is getting better players that are not as limited and that gives him more ways of skinning a cat. Hope Peta doesn't ban me for that...

He played Trey with Zach starting maybe 3-4 games ago in spots and Mason maybe a game or so less in spots. I never paid attention to how long or what teams. Many times he has played David for Fletch and sometimes David for Braden, but there have been a few times he has played Brandon at the 2. When I saw Trey play the 4 with Zach I made a comment some place that Matt was playing 3 out and the high low looked good. I was thinking at the time that Matt was trying to be physical and get a bit more O out of the 4 spot...thinking this was taking place for IU in the BTT. I imagine if you did a search on me...you can find the post about Trey and Zach, but not sure I posted immediately about Mason.

I think it was a concern about getting physical and still scoring as much as what D was needed. Just more players to play different spots as much as anything...being versatile

Mason was exclusively the four until recently. Trey subbed for Zach at the 5. Trey and Caleb both have played the 5 and 4. Brandon and Ethan have played the 3 most of the year. Now we are seeing a bit more physical line up at times with Mason sometimes at the 3 and Brandon at the 2 with typically Trey and Caleb at the 4. Matt is getting different experiences for more players at different spots to adapt or gain an advantage if needed.
Holy Smokes I saw Mason in the title but pictured Morton. ;)

Reactions: BoilerAndy
He played Trey with Zach starting maybe 3-4 games ago in spots and Mason maybe a game or so less in spots. I never paid attention to how long or what teams. Many times he has played David for Fletch and sometimes David for Braden, but there have been a few times he has played Brandon at the 2. When I saw Trey play the 4 with Zach I made a comment some place that Matt was playing 3 out and the high low looked good. I was thinking at the time that Matt was trying to be physical and get a bit more O out of the 4 spot...thinking this was taking place for IU in the BTT. I imagine if you did a search on me...you can find the post about Trey and Zach, but not sure I posted immediately about Mason.

I think it was a concern about getting physical and still scoring as much as what D was needed. Just more players to play different spots as much as anything...being versatile
Got it. Yes, agree, he's definitely mixed it up more in the last few games.

Reactions: tjreese
I'm not sure he can't play D. Is he less mobile than Morton?
I love Mason but yes, absolutely he is less mobile than Ethan and it's not close (Morton is also longer). Morton has guarded point guards, Mason can stay in front of slower 3's. Mason's strength on defense is playing smart, team defense and being physical as hell, not consistently staying in front of guys who put it on the floor

Got it. Yes, agree, he's definitely mixed it up more in the last few games.
One time this game only Caleb went to high post and fed Zach for a bucket. Today there was no physical lineup and that shouldn’t be surprising

I actually would love seeing Mason playing with Edey, Renn, Newman, and Smith, it’s happening some now.

Totally agree when it's a team Mason can guard the 3.
Certainly is the most firepower we can put on the floor together (at this time....)
I like your lineup against teams that play a big 3 and 4 (Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc.) but think you can get similar offensive firepower with Zach, Mason, Brandon, David and Braden.

You give up some size but get much better defensive matchups versus three guard lineups with a stretch four (Marquette, Memphis, K-State, etc.).

I'd also not discount Furst. I agree that Mason's outside shooting plays well with Zach but I was encouraged to see Caleb post up against smaller players a few times recently.

Last edited:
I like your lineup against teams that play a big 3 and 4 (Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc.) but think you can get similar offensive firepower with Zach, Mason, Brandon, David and Braden.

You give up some size but get much better defensive matchups versus three guard lineups with a stretch four (Marquette, Memphis, K-State, etc.).

I'd also not discount Furst. I agree that Mason's outside shooting plays well with Zach but I was encouraged to see Caleb post up against smaller players a few times recently.
My gut and I'm not hungry thinks we will see Caleb contribute more against new teams with perhaps a bit quicker pace..but more unsure about the pace. ;)

If Edey returns next season (a big if but possible) Mason pretty much has to play the 3 or someone is guarenteed to leave. Edey would play around 30 minutes a game, maybe more, that would leave 50
Minutes for Renn/Furst/Berg. Renn and Furst would get the bulk of these minutes and probably stay happy, Mason at the 4 doesn’t really work if everyone sticks around which we all hope.

If Edey returns next season (a big if but possible) Mason pretty much has to play the 3 or someone is guarenteed to leave. Edey would play around 30 minutes a game, maybe more, that would leave 50
Minutes for Renn/Furst/Berg. Renn and Furst would get the bulk of these minutes and probably stay happy, Mason at the 4 doesn’t really work if everyone sticks around which we all hope.
There is depth everywhere...or at least bodies we think will provide depth except for Braden. You also add Heide and Colvin and Brian will be healthy Purdue will have bodies everywhere except for Braden. If Zach doesn't return we may see Purdue more up and down the court than the last several years

There is depth everywhere...or at least bodies we think will provide depth except for Braden. You also add Heide and Colvin and Brian will be healthy Purdue will have bodies everywhere except for Braden. If Zach doesn't return we may see Purdue more up and down the court than the last several years
Agreed about the depth, I do think Renn and Furst are better players needing more minutes than Morton, Newman though. You’re correct about Heide and Colvin, them being Frosh maybe there’s more patience on their part for minutes. I really like Renn, would hate to lose that kid if Edey returns.

Agreed about the depth, I do think Renn and Furst are better players needing more minutes than Morton, Newman though. You’re correct about Heide and Colvin, them being Frosh maybe there’s more patience on their part for minutes. I really like Renn, would hate to lose that kid if Edey returns.
I'm going to be careful with what I say here. I've erased what I was going to say three times. ;) Let's just say I would be surprised that Trey would consider leaving Purdue because what attracted him to Purdue remains. He is getting a lot of minutes for a freshman and has shown GROWTH. There are things he and Caleb really need to work on for next year to take huge leaps. Brian is the one that was left out when recruited and then once he started playing he got the attention of the coaches. This has to be really hard on him and I wonder if they are shooting for a medical shirt? Texted his uncle a week ago telling him I often think of Brian and to keep his chin up. Sooooooooo we don't know how Brian fits. There is just more talent than we are used to seeing at Purdue... ;)

I'm going to be careful with what I say here. I've erased what I was going to say three times. ;) Let's just say I would be surprised that Trey would consider leaving Purdue because what attracted him to Purdue remains. He is getting a lot of minutes for a freshman and has shown GROWTH. There are things he and Caleb really need to work on for next year to take huge leaps. Brian is the one that was left out when recruited and then once he started playing he got the attention of the coaches. This has to be really hard on him and I wonder if they are shooting for a medical shirt? Texted his uncle a week ago telling him I often think of Brian and to keep his chin up. Sooooooooo we don't know how Brian fits. There is just more talent than we are used to seeing at Purdue... ;)
Brian looked very much like Matt on the sidelines over the weekend with his new hairstyle.

Other than your own pontification, what would lead you to come to that conclusion?

My gut and I'm not hungry thinks we will see Caleb contribute more against new teams with perhaps a bit quicker pace..but more unsure about the pace. ;)
I think we as fans forget what a matchup problem Caleb can be. Not that many 6’10” kids are as strong, skilled and athletic as he is.

Other than your own pontification, what would lead you to come to that conclusion?
Just minutes played, look, maybe Renn is happy playing limited minutes, however, guys want to play, it will be his third year, my guess is he’ll want to play 20-25 minutes a game. You’re correct, it’s just a guess, however, the portal makes it very easy to leave.

I think we as fans forget what a matchup problem Caleb can be. Not that many 6’10” kids are as strong, skilled and athletic as he is.
If he can develop a nice stroke, and he can, and then be able to drive the ball he could be outstanding because he is pretty quick and a good athlete with some length

Reactions: northside100
I probably shouldn’t have said what I did, I have zero clue on anyone leaving. My point was more in regards to kids wanting minutes, if Zach returns which I hope happens there’s not a ton to go around if Mason only plays the 4 spot. Tough sell these days having kids stay if they’re only going to get 10-15 minutes a game.

Waddell hopefully loves it at Purdue, hope at least he sticks around another year or two, however, let’s be honest, minutes will likely be tight for him, at least next year. Also, maybe we can change the rules and 7 guys can be starters lol

Just minutes played, look, maybe Renn is happy playing limited minutes, however, guys want to play, it will be his third year, my guess is he’ll want to play 20-25 minutes a game. You’re correct, it’s just a guess, however, the portal makes it very easy to leave.
Again I would be surprised. I cannot tell you what insight I may have, but there are some posters that know why I say what I do. Now it could change, but Trey is a bright young man who doesn’t appear impulsive and he really didn’t wish to be a 5 anyway. This is a kid that planned on majoring in physics at Purdue. Don’t know if he did, but he certainly didn’t look for an easy out while working on his game

Waddell hopefully loves it at Purdue, hope at least he sticks around another year or two, however, let’s be honest, minutes will likely be tight for him, at least next year. Also, maybe we can change the rules and 7 guys can be starters lol
No question minutes will be tough for many next year

Again I would be surprised. I cannot tell you what insight I may have, but there are some posters that know why I say what I do. Now it could change, but Trey is a bright young man who doesn’t appear impulsive and he really didn’t wish to be a 5 anyway. This is a kid that planned on majoring in physics at Purdue. Don’t know if he did, but he certainly didn’t look for an easy out while working on his game
This is great insight, much appreciated! Also, I perhaps overdid it with this, my main point was that I like seeing Mason at the 3, main reason is I really like Renn’s game.

This is great insight, much appreciated! Also, I perhaps overdid it with this, my main point was that I like seeing Mason at the 3, main reason is I really like Renn’s game.
I’m fine with everything. What was public was that his uncle a star at Indiana State is a big fan of Matt as are many that know the game.

I’m fine with everything. What was public was that his uncle a star at Indiana State is a big fan of Matt as are many that know the game.
I guess let’s win a National Title or at least make the Final 4 and wish Edey the best in the NBA next year!

I guess let’s win a National Title or at least make the Final 4 and wish Edey the best in the NBA next year!
I hope the team reaches that far, but have no idea what Zach will do unless he is given something he can’t refuse

ADVERTISEMENT