ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know the over/under on how many hours before our POTUS gets blamed for

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
the damage this Cat 4 hurricane causes? I hear Vegas has set it at 72 hours from now. I'm guessing the tds crowd won't be able to contain themselves so I'm taking the under. We'll hear everything from slow response time, his stance on coal caused the hurricane, he's a racist (if the storm hits an minority area), and the left will really freak out when he doesn't sign a $10 trillion disaster relief aid bill.

Well, the fact that the Trump admin supposedly moved $10M out of FEMA and into ICE is probably not a good start. I'm sure others have some pointed thoughts based on the outcomes in Puerto Rico as well. I'll take the under.

Reactions: Bill4411
Well, the fact that the Trump admin supposedly moved $10M out of FEMA and into ICE is probably not a good start. I'm sure others have some pointed thoughts based on the outcomes in Puerto Rico as well. I'll take the under.
Tyler Q. Houlton‏Verified account@SpoxDHS 11h11 hours ago
Under no circumstances was any disaster relief funding transferred from @fema to immigration enforcement efforts. This is a sorry attempt to push a false agenda at a time when the administration is focused on assisting millions on the East Coast facing a catastrophic disaster.

Tyler Q. Houlton‏Verified account@SpoxDHS 11h11 hours ago
Under no circumstances was any disaster relief funding transferred from @fema to immigration enforcement efforts. This is a sorry attempt to push a false agenda at a time when the administration is focused on assisting millions on the East Coast facing a catastrophic disaster.

True, but that doesn't refute the claim that almost $10M was moved from the FEMA budget to the ICE budget. DHS confirmed it did not specifically come from the disaster relief portion of the budget, but the money was still moved.

I don't care if FEMA money is moved from a non-disaster fund at the tail end of Hurricane season, as it wasn't going to be used on Florence anyway...but I do take issue with that money being taken to add funding to ICE.

True, but that doesn't refute the claim that almost $10M was moved from the FEMA budget to the ICE budget. DHS confirmed it did not specifically come from the disaster relief portion of the budget, but the money was still moved.

I don't care if FEMA money is moved from a non-disaster fund at the tail end of Hurricane season, as it wasn't going to be used on Florence anyway...but I do take issue with that money being taken to add funding to ICE.
Is there any sort of response the local, state, and federal folks can provide in response to this cat 4 to keep the media from pointing the finger at our President? Or is it inevitable?

Is there any sort of response the local, state, and federal folks can provide in response to this cat 4 to keep the media from pointing the finger at our President? Or is it inevitable?

I think that the response to this hurricane, however it ends up, will go a lot smoother and be managed much better than PR...but the President will always get some level of blame for natural disaster response...right or wrong...it just comes with the territory. Bush got it with Katrina. Obama got it with the Louisiana flooding. Trump got it with PR and most likely Florence if it turns out to be that bad.

the damage this Cat 4 hurricane causes? I hear Vegas has set it at 72 hours from now. I'm guessing the tds crowd won't be able to contain themselves so I'm taking the under. We'll hear everything from slow response time, his stance on coal caused the hurricane, he's a racist (if the storm hits an minority area), and the left will really freak out when he doesn't sign a $10 trillion disaster relief aid bill.

If he can manage to not attack authorities on the ground, throw paper towels into the crowd like a game show host, not say that the response was an incredible success when 3,000 people died, then he'll have done better than the last response. Considering his inability to act like an adult with a functioning brain (kind of like his supporters) I'm sure he'll do something that the media would be derelict not to cover.

Lots of folks are going to have their lives changed forever...and your concern is about how Donald Trump's feelings might be hurt.

Reactions: atmafola
He got credit for the response to Harvey. My guess is this one will go fine. FEMA can handle these on our coasts.

Puerto Rico was difficult, for many reasons. People can understand and accept logical explanations for errors and forgive those who admit mistakes.

Trump does none of that.......so we get the Trump defenders already looking forward to playing the victim card for the president.

Lots of folks are going to have their lives changed forever...and your concern is about how Donald Trump's feelings might be hurt.
Lots of stories to be discussed when a major hurricane hits - press coverage of the aftermath is one of those. Are you seriously not smart enough to know that these two stories are not mutually exclusive? If not, let me get you up to speed - it is possible to have concern for our fellow citizens while at the same time be critical of the press coverage.

Schumer has already made it political in an attempt to secure the PR votes because their governor was negligent and because PR is in default.....it's now Trump's fault

If he can manage to not attack authorities on the ground, throw paper towels into the crowd like a game show host, not say that the response was an incredible success when 3,000 people died, then he'll have done better than the last response. Considering his inability to act like an adult with a functioning brain (kind of like his supporters) I'm sure he'll do something that the media would be derelict not to cover.
Does the name Ray Nagen come to mind at all?

Reactions: BoilerMadness
Just to point out that the Governor and state/local/county leaders are far more important than the President. So far the gov's of all the states in the path have spelled it out clearly.

No, no they aren't. Nobody has the resources of the federal government, especially as they pertain to large-scale disasters.

Trump badly dropped the ball in PR, in large part because he doesn't view Puerto Ricans as true Americans.

Reactions: indy35
Yes, I'll repeat, there is compelling evidence man created global warming.
About the time man mastered fire and was roasting woolly mammoth meat over his fossil fuel created fire, thus emitting smoke into the atmosphere, the glaciers started to melt.
Coincidence?
And before I get all the tree huggers and polar bear lovers mad at me, I believe man should be a steward of his environment.
And more importantly, all on the East Coast are in all our prayers.

Dm7Lni7XgAA2zux

Last edited:

That's FAKE NEWS. I'm sure it was being trumpeted at either MSNBC or CNN ot both, but it's been debunked.

Do you really think that Trump Derangement Syndrome headquarters will cut him any slack?

I'm surprised that they haven't accused him of creating the storm, yet.

Do you really think that Trump Derangement Syndrome headquarters will cut him any slack?

I'm surprised that they haven't accused him of creating the storm, yet.
Tell you what. Any person that uses the word "success" to describe what happened in Puerto Rico is deranged.

Trump has already set the stage......describing this storm in the most grandiose of ways. So if the government efforts fall short, he will claim no one could have done better against such overwhelming conditions. If they do well, he overcame the worst storm in decades.

No worries. You people have figured out to insulate yourselves. All I read and hear now is that you don't like his tweets, he says dumb things, he has his quirks........but you only care about what he actually does. As if what a man says has nothing to do with his actions.

You are defending a man who lies to make himself look superior......in every situation......even when nearly 3000 people DIED. That is not deranged?

I was stuck in the airport. CNN was running hit pieces all day yesterday. Mixing trumps verbal warnings to people in the path with jabs about puerto rico. classy news network.

Reactions: Purdue97
This morning Trump dismisses the official government report of Puerto Rico's death count as a political plot against him. Apparently he believes that the death toll is about him and not about the nearly 3,000 dead US citizens.

This morning Trump dismisses the official government report of Puerto Rico's death count as a political plot against him. Apparently he believes that the death toll is about him and not about the nearly 3,000 dead US citizens.
well did you read that report? I bet you didn't. Because if you did, you would understand why that number is not accurate to apply to maria and why trump is right to complain about the way the media is portraying it. I don't know why I'm even writing this to you nerf herders.

In the second phase, researchers plan to interview families of victims who died during Maria’s aftermath to identify how many of the 2,975 deaths could be attributed to the hurricane.

I was stuck in the airport. CNN was running hit pieces all day yesterday. Mixing trumps verbal warnings to people in the path with jabs about puerto rico. classy news network.
Regarding Puerto Rico - my understanding is this:
1. The death toll of roughly 3,000 that's being reported includes deaths through 12/31 of last year...3 1/2 months after the cat 4 hurricane hit the island. To achieve those figures they looked at how many people died during the previous year vs. 2017 and calculated to the difference to arrive at that figure.
2. Puerto Rico's infrastructure (roads, electrical, etc) were darn near 3rd world to start with and were completely wiped out after the storm.
3. They are basically having to rebuild EVERYTHING from scratch. That doesn't happen in a few months. That takes decades.
4. All communication was completely knocked out so there was no way to communicate with truck drivers to get supplies dispersed throughout the island. The roads were made completely impassable.

well did you read that report? I bet you didn't. Because if you did, you would understand why that number is not accurate to apply to maria and why trump is right to complain about the way the media is portraying it. I don't know why I'm even writing this to you nerf herders.

In the second phase, researchers plan to interview families of victims who died during Maria’s aftermath to identify how many of the 2,975 deaths could be attributed to the hurricane.

Of course it's related to Maria. What despicable spin. Absolutely disgusting especially considering many of the folks lost their lives due to FEMA's incompetent response and Trump's dismissive attitude.

1. The death toll of roughly 3,000 that's being reported includes deaths through 12/31 of last year...3 1/2 months after the cat 4 hurricane hit the island. To achieve those figures they looked at how many people died during the previous year vs. 2017 and calculated to the difference to arrive at that figure.
2. Puerto Rico's infrastructure (roads, electrical, etc) were darn near 3rd world to start with and were completely wiped out after the storm.
3. They are basically having to rebuild EVERYTHING from scratch. That doesn't happen in a few months. That takes decades.
4. All communication was completely knocked out so there was no way to communicate with truck drivers to get supplies dispersed throughout the island. The roads were made completely impassable.
the 3000 is NOT the "death toll" from hurricane maria. period. end of story. I'll repeat: In the second phase, researchers plan to interview families of victims who died during Maria’s aftermath to identify how many of the 2,975 deaths could be attributed to the hurricane.

This is nothing but the most pathetic spin. ~1800 people died in katrina in a much more damaging storm and densely populated area. Just because cnn says so doesn't make it true. Do your own damn research people and quit being lemmings.

There have been multiple reports with different methodologies and showing a strongly causal relationship to Maria.

It's utterly disgusting that he's dismissing these reports simply because his ego is hurt.

the 3000 is NOT the "death toll" from hurricane maria. period. end of story. I'll repeat: In the second phase, researchers plan to interview families of victims who died during Maria’s aftermath to identify how many of the 2,975 deaths could be attributed to the hurricane.

This is nothing but the most pathetic spin. ~1800 people died in katrina in a much more damaging storm and densely populated area. Just because cnn says so doesn't make it true. Do your own damn research people and quit being lemmings.

This is completely ridiculous. Totally lacks honest analytical rigor.

It's nearly unanimous by using multiple independent methodologies that ~3K people died, who wouldn't have otherwise died, because Hurricane Maria hit. Many of those died due to incompetence and ignorance.

I'm not sure what stupid semantics game you're trying to play, but it's disgusting.

Last edited:

If a breathing machine quits because there is no power and the patient dies, it is attributed to the hurricane. If a car gets swept off the road by water and the people drown, it's the hurricane. That's how the death toll from natural disasters get created, long before Trump was president. The rules don't get changed for him or his followers.

Now, are those deaths his fault, of course not. Did FEMA screw up and cause those deaths, NO. We will never know how many deaths should be attributed to failures by this admin......just like we won't know how many lives were saved by the actions of this admin.

Point is, if he would just stop trying to turn everything into a win there would be far less criticism. When he calls Puerto Rico a success he's gonna get shit.......and rightly so, it was an incredibly stupid thing to say. Now he's saying we have yet another conspiracy, the Dems are inflating the numbers. Stop!!!!!, just STFU. Say PR was a tragedy, circumstances were difficult, we tried our best but made some mistakes, we're going to learn from them, say what we are still doing now. JFC this stuff isn't hard but stop stepping on your own Johnson by trying to paint everything as the best ever, as a win, and blaming others......or in this case, the victims.

True or false. Nearly $10M was moved from the FEMA budget to the ICE budget?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...illion-support-ice-documents-show/1274723002/
Brock Long, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency: "Right now, that money has nothing to do with what you see behind us," he said in an interview from the FEMA response center in Washington. "It does not pay for this response, it is not coming out of the disaster relief fund, it has no impact on our efforts to be prepared for Hurricane Florence. It's just, unfortunately, we have a congressman that is playing politics on the back of Florence. There's no story there."

If a breathing machine quits because there is no power and the patient dies, it is attributed to the hurricane. If a car gets swept off the road by water and the people drown, it's the hurricane. That's how the death toll from natural disasters get created, long before Trump was president. The rules don't get changed for him or his followers.

Now, are those deaths his fault, of course not. Did FEMA screw up and cause those deaths, NO. We will never know how many deaths should be attributed to failures by this admin......just like we won't know how many lives were saved by the actions of this admin.

Point is, if he would just stop trying to turn everything into a win there would be far less criticism. When he calls Puerto Rico a success he's gonna get shit.......and rightly so, it was an incredibly stupid thing to say. Now he's saying we have yet another conspiracy, the Dems are inflating the numbers. Stop!!!!!, just STFU. Say PR was a tragedy, circumstances were difficult, we tried our best but made some mistakes, we're going to learn from them, say what we are still doing now. JFC this stuff isn't hard but stop stepping on your own Johnson by trying to paint everything as the best ever, as a win, and blaming others......or in this case, the victims.

Respectfully disagree to an extent. There is certainly a subset of deaths that could have been prevented with a more competent response.

maybe you should get your studies completed before you start touting the numbers!!! Ridiculous spinning.

Brock Long, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency: "Right now, that money has nothing to do with what you see behind us," he said in an interview from the FEMA response center in Washington. "It does not pay for this response, it is not coming out of the disaster relief fund, it has no impact on our efforts to be prepared for Hurricane Florence. It's just, unfortunately, we have a congressman that is playing politics on the back of Florence. There's no story there."

Again, this was addressed earlier in the thread. The FEMA budget is not the same as disaster relief fund. We have already identified that this particular $10M does not impact response efforts for Florence. Please work on your reading comprehension.

This all goes back to the OP's question of when Trump will be blamed for Florence, I added the money movement was not going to be a good start to the conversation. That has turned out to be true. It doesn't matter that the money has no impact on the response, this thread is about what Trump will get blame for.

ADVERTISEMENT